Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Commuting in this weather: Gear advice needed

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me for riding gear for this kind of weather.

It's been getting a wee bit chilly in the mornings this week, and it's making my choice of riding gear for commuting a little difficult. With 40+ mpg, it's been worth it to suffer the chilly mornings in the low-50s, but I figure there's got to be a better (i.e. more comfortable) way.

I've been wearing a Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 jacket with the liner in the morning, and if it's nice enough, zipping out the liner for the ride home.

For the pants, I've been eyeing the Ballistic pants or the Alter Ego pants. (Rec. Liesure has both listed on Ebay for what seem like reasonable prices) Correct me if I'm wrong, but both have a zip-out waterproof liner, correct? Any significant differences between them?

Also, any alternates, tips, or suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks, gang!

-Joe


edit: Forgot to mention.... I also want a pant that zips up the side. I don't want to have to change outfits to ride. I'm looking for something I can zip over my work pants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
if you think mid to low 50's are cold then dont come to maine you wont like it.
i ride as soon as it hits 30 here just dress for it , look for pants that go over your other pants and enjoy the season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
I rode into work today for the first time and it was a bit chilly. I think I'll stop off and get some under armor for tomorrow's ride. Today was the best ride to work I have ever had...maybe because I was on two wheels instead of four.


:twofinger
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
In cold weather, I usually wear a leather jacket with liner and underarmour underneath my shirts and pants. The only time I wear riding pants is for long trips. But when I ride in cold weather it is for the ride, not a commute. I know X1_Solo the last time we had a ride he wore leather chaps. He looked like a clown, but i guess he was warm. LOL

I then wear a balaclava under my helmet. I get made fun of...but let me tell you how warm it makes you. A Balaclava is a thin pull-over head and neck cover with eye slits for winter usage under a motorcycle helmet. It has a thin layer of fleece to rest on your shoulders. That keeps the warmth in and the cold air out. There are many types of balaclava's out there, mine is specifically made for motorcycles with a thin spand-ex like material for your head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
DocThee said:

I then wear a balaclava under my helmet. I get made fun of...but let me tell you how warm it makes you. A Balaclava is a thin pull-over head and neck cover with eye slits for winter usage under a motorcycle helmet. It has a thin layer of fleece to rest on your shoulders. That keeps the warmth in and the cold air out. There are many types of balaclava's out there, mine is specifically made for motorcycles with a thin spand-ex like material for your head.
yes those are great. Any place that sells snowmobiles will surely have a few versions to choose from. I know Rec Leisure carries these
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are great tips for riding in cold weather, but then what do you do on days like this where you need extra layers in the morning, and far fewer layers for the ride home? When it's in the 50s in the morning and in the 80s on the way home, where do I put the extra layers? (I ride a CBR600F4i, so there isn't much in the way of storage for the heavy stuff)

I'll have to look into a balaclava too... I'd love to keep the wind off the neck in the morning, but the problem I usually have with them is that I wear glasses too, and the balaclavas I've seen generally cover the nose and mouth too, so my glasses fog with every breath. If I could find one that covers the chinny-chin-chin, but not the nose and mouth, that would help too.

-Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
gijoecam said:

I'll have to look into a balaclava too... I'd love to keep the wind off the neck in the morning, but the problem I usually have with them is that I wear glasses too, and the balaclavas I've seen generally cover the nose and mouth too, so my glasses fog with every breath. If I could find one that covers the chinny-chin-chin, but not the nose and mouth, that would help too.

-Joe
The one I have covers my chin and head. It leaves my entire face exposed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
gijoecam said:
Those are great tips for riding in cold weather, but then what do you do on days like this where you need extra layers in the morning, and far fewer layers for the ride home? When it's in the 50s in the morning and in the 80s on the way home, where do I put the extra layers? (I ride a CBR600F4i, so there isn't much in the way of storage for the heavy stuff)

I'll have to look into a balaclava too... I'd love to keep the wind off the neck in the morning, but the problem I usually have with them is that I wear glasses too, and the balaclavas I've seen generally cover the nose and mouth too, so my glasses fog with every breath. If I could find one that covers the chinny-chin-chin, but not the nose and mouth, that would help too.

-Joe
I simply use my Leather riding jacket and some long finger mid weight gloves...maybe full gauntlet leather gloves if it's cold enough but the 50's are nothing. I don't know about the 600RR and how much wind protection your hands get but my RF is very good for hand protection so I've been using some joe Rocket textile gloves... The ride home in 80 degree weather isn't bad with the leather either, as long as you can keep moving.... My legs aren't something that tends to get cold so I don't wear any pants besides my work clothes of course...(khakis). On Monday my legs got chilly but I also knew it was temporary so I sucked it up and lived with it....20 miles isn't that far....

:2cents:
Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Without question, the best thing that I have for those chilly mornings is Aerostich velcro wrap heated grips. The best $45 you'll ever spend on you bike! See here

That bit of heat coming into your fingers is a GREAT luxury! I don't know how I suvived before!

I wear a leather jacket and dockers. Oxtar Matrix boots on my feet, and Alpinestar leather gloves. If its really cold (30's), I'll put on some old leather chaps that I have.

Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
gijoecam said:
Those are great tips for riding in cold weather, but then what do you do on days like this where you need extra layers in the morning, and far fewer layers for the ride home? When it's in the 50s in the morning and in the 80s on the way home, where do I put the extra layers? (I ride a CBR600F4i, so there isn't much in the way of storage for the heavy stuff)

I'll have to look into a balaclava too... I'd love to keep the wind off the neck in the morning, but the problem I usually have with them is that I wear glasses too, and the balaclavas I've seen generally cover the nose and mouth too, so my glasses fog with every breath. If I could find one that covers the chinny-chin-chin, but not the nose and mouth, that would help too.

-Joe
I think layers are your answer. you can always take stuff off when you get to work.
If its gonna be low 60's in the am and 80's in the afternoon, I will wear my mesh coat with a insulated golf windbreaker underneath. This way I can just pack away the windbreaker in my trunk on the way home. As far as pants go, i dont wear anything over mine when riding to work. But you could find an over pant and just strap it down on the back seat or tank bag on the way home if its too warm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
if the weather hits over 70 on the way home i ride in wearing jeans and my jacket. Keep the legs close to the tank and you should be fine. If its below i have field sheir overpants that i wear over my dress pants, jacket etc. to and from work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Kawie said:
Under Armour is good to wear under your clothes. You can get both cold and heat gear. You can pick it up at Dick's Sporting Goods.

http://www.underarmour.com/
Amen...I wear it for dirtbiking too...Its almost nicer having something form fit to your body, than your regular clothes flapping in the cold and sticking in the heat. It's kind of expensive but take care of it (no dryer, warm/cool wash) to save the elasticity and its worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
919rider said:
Without question, the best thing that I have for those chilly mornings is Aerostich velcro wrap heated grips. The best $45 you'll ever spend on you bike! See here

That bit of heat coming into your fingers is a GREAT luxury! I don't know how I suvived before!

I wear a leather jacket and dockers. Oxtar Matrix boots on my feet, and Alpinestar leather gloves. If its really cold (30's), I'll put on some old leather chaps that I have.

Kevin
I'm planning on using my bikes more in cooler weather and will purchase a electric vest/sleeves and heated hand grips.
My feet rarley get cold. My head rarley gets cold, but on occasion I use a fleece headband for my neck and a neoprene chin/face protection mask doodad.
Alter Ego pants, and tee shits and sweatshits/hoodies under my Joe Rocket leather mesh jacket.
Once I get the electric vest, a tank top is all I'll need on a cold morning.
After touring between Michigan and Georgia during off season runs..."Spring and Fall" ya pretty much figure out what ya need fast....lol...
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
I've just been wearing a Joe Rocket leather jacket and GPX gloves and a pair of jeans. If it start to drop much below 50 I'll wear a sweat shirt and some thermals under the jeans. When it starts getting over 60 in the AM I'm going to be wearing a Alpinestar T_Stunter 2 mesh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket, and I love it. http://www.joerocket.com/jrf/home.cfm The leather on the front and back torso zipps off, and has mesh underneath. Your arms and shoulders are still protected by leather and padding, and there is a spine protector underneath the mesh too. If its cold out in the a.m., leave the leather on, and if it warms up later, zip the leather off. I also have the alter ego pants, and yes, they do have a removeable waterproof lining.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top