Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often commute on the bike and when it comes time to head home I feel a bit lethargic. Outside of caffeine, any recommendations for getting my engine restarted for the ride home?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Anything that will elevate your heartbeat. I ussually roll a stoppie out of the parking lot (not on the street)

·
Registered
217 Posts
id say a powerbar. might taste a little bit like cardboard, but it'll get your body moving again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"I often commute on the bike and when it comes time to head home I feel a bit lethargic. Outside of caffeine, any recommendations for getting my engine restarted for the ride home?"

I commute on my bike(s) to work quite often. Some of the things I found to help:

-Try not to skip meals
-Keep muchie food at your workplace so you can at your choice munch something before heading out.
-If necessary, chill out at the workplace a while before heading out. I don't like spending any more time at work than I have to, but sometimes I can tell I need to collect my thoughts, even if I'm just staring at nothing for 5 minutes.
-Drink water through the day to keep hydrated. Riding dries me out pretty quick. Don't just drink before heading out, drink water (I try to avoid cokes and the like) all through the day.

Funny thing about dehydration is you don't feel thirsty until you're aready in the beginning stages of it, and it's tougher to catch up once you've fallen behind. Therefore, I try to drink water with a large glass mug (about 2 1/2 coffee cups worth) at a time, not 2 seconds of slurping at a water fountain. I'm a hefty guy (230 lbs?) so what amount of water works for me may not work for you.

I figure I'm drinking enough if I have to urinate several times a day and it all comes out clear or close to clear. If it's dark and smelly, that's a sign of dehydration.

...and by the time I ride home, which isn't far: 11 miles, I usually get another big glass of water as soon as I'm in the kitchen, because by this time my mouth is starting to feel dry again. In other words, I make this an all waking hour habit of drinking water.

At some point I heard another good reason to drink water this much: it helps keep kidney stones from forming. I haven't had a K-stone problem but I know a guy who didn't listen to his doctor to "drink water, lots of water" and he had 2 kidney stones in the same year.

I dunno if this will help your before ride home lethargy, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
892 Posts
MadMaximillian said:
"I often commute on the bike and when it comes time to head home I feel a bit lethargic. Outside of caffeine, any recommendations for getting my engine restarted for the ride home?"

I commute on my bike(s) to work quite often. Some of the things I found to help:

-Try not to skip meals
-Keep muchie food at your workplace so you can at your choice munch something before heading out.
-If necessary, chill out at the workplace a while before heading out. I don't like spending any more time at work than I have to, but sometimes I can tell I need to collect my thoughts, even if I'm just staring at nothing for 5 minutes.
-Drink water through the day to keep hydrated. Riding dries me out pretty quick. Don't just drink before heading out, drink water (I try to avoid cokes and the like) all through the day.

Funny thing about dehydration is you don't feel thirsty until you're aready in the beginning stages of it, and it's tougher to catch up once you've fallen behind. Therefore, I try to drink water with a large glass mug (about 2 1/2 coffee cups worth) at a time, not 2 seconds of slurping at a water fountain. I'm a hefty guy (230 lbs?) so what amount of water works for me may not work for you.

I figure I'm drinking enough if I have to urinate several times a day and it all comes out clear or close to clear. If it's dark and smelly, that's a sign of dehydration.

...and by the time I ride home, which isn't far: 11 miles, I usually get another big glass of water as soon as I'm in the kitchen, because by this time my mouth is starting to feel dry again. In other words, I make this an all waking hour habit of drinking water.

At some point I heard another good reason to drink water this much: it helps keep kidney stones from forming. I haven't had a K-stone problem but I know a guy who didn't listen to his doctor to "drink water, lots of water" and he had 2 kidney stones in the same year.

I dunno if this will help your before ride home lethargy, but it can't hurt.
Now dont go water crazy, to much can cause just as many problems...2-3 liters a day should do it for most. significantly more than that can throw your sodium levels outta wack. By significantly more i mean like in the area of 3 gallons :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
hahah you guys are funny just do a quick stoppie or wheelie lol. no one sasys anything to you?

I dont drink coffee and try to stay away from sodas and such. I prefer to drink tea it has less caffeine and i drink unsweet so no sugar, its alot better for you than coffee or other things. Lipton makes the cold brew and that only takes a few min, plus a take a sport bottle full of tea with me from home in the morning, i ride (well when im not overseas) my bike 90% of the time to work its about a 35 min ride

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mac020 said:
Also try not drinking any coffee after noon.

Dont listen to him man, its madness, madness I tell ya!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Few push ups usually do it for me.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I have to have my coffee at least two or three times a day or at least a cup of tea.

On a 5 to 7 hr run I will drop into a small town coffee place to have my cuppa & once I get home I need another, for the day's runs is going on in my mind, plus something I should be checking out on the bike or possibly the plan for to-morrow's run & switching to another bike which will be a bit different.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Sorry! but it's true! Least for me. Dehydration (which can be caused by caffeine) will zap yur energy. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Get all buzzed-up fall off the wall on the other side.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
caffine wrecks havok on my body. I normally drink lots of water and gatorade throughout the day. Skip breakfast & lunch and maybe eat a small dinner with some fruits throughout the rest of the night.

Then again, I have the most irregular office hours since it is pretty much anytime I feel like it. This means I could come in whenever and leave whenever I feel like it as long as I put in a 40 or so hour work week and complete the tasks at hand. I usually roll into work around 10am and leave about 7pm to avoid traffic, but I regually do 14 hour work days when I'm in the mode to graphic art and coding. It's pretty intense, I sit there atleast 6 hours at a time and not move an eye muscle. My co-workers think I'm a machine. That or if I want to rack up hours to be late the next day or all together skip a day out of the week.

Being in an IT/website/graphic art/coding position is a sweet position.

At the end of the day, I smile and go home with the fact that I'm getting paid for doing shit that I learned how to do on my own in middle school. Fuck this college bullshit. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts