Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another motorcycle board and didn't get much response so I thought I'd try you guys...

I'm a keen sportbike rider but my missus has expressed interest in riding with me and she's really uncomfortable on the back of the Ducati.. ouch!! I would be too.

I'm starting to look around for a possible second bike, the accent being on passenger comfort for short trips. I cannot see us doing any serious touring but maybe the occasional daytrip.

Honda Goldwings have quite a reputation for comfort and logically a full-out tourer like that would be the obvious choice but I'm wondering if there isn't something out there a little less err over-the-top. I mean the Goldwing may be just too much bike for the occasional trip to the local lake on a Sunday.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The Wing is the ultimate passenger bike. It is like driving a truck compared to the sportbike but the comfort, tunes, easy conversation with the intercom, etc. can't be beat. Just call it a new sport as it won't be riding as you've come to know it.:) Two up riding is already a compromise for my tastes so I don't care if it's on a boat. Throw in the comfort and satisfy the passenger. Plus, with that comfort, she may want to do some longer sightseeing rides. On second thought, maybe keep the Duc.:eek: :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a VFR with a Corbin saddle and detachable backrest. When my wife rides along I throw the backrest on and we ride comfortably for hours. The bike is sporty enough that I don't get bored and it's a lot cheaper than a Wing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys...

Dad - you got me thinking now - why compromise? hmmm - i'm not ruling anything out just yet and the Wing would definitely do the trick. I like your conjecture that it may lead to more and longer trips - that'd be good - I like her :D

VFR with the backrest - hadn't considered that - hmm, Bonk, have you got any photos with that configuration? Does your wife have any grumbles?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The VFR, ST1300 or FJR1300 all have passenger backrests available with the Corbin seat. The Viffer and FJR would be sportier. The ST1300 would have better legroom for the passenger. The 1800 Wing really is an amazing bike if you want to go that route. You may feel a bit isolated on the Wing coming from a Duc. Riding an 1800 Wing to me is about the same as driving a very good handing convertable. Just don't get that same sense of motorcycling as with other bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BamBam said:
I'm a keen sportbike rider but my missus has expressed interest in riding with me and she's really uncomfortable on the back of the Ducati.. ouch!! I would be too.

I'm starting to look around for a possible second bike, the accent being on passenger comfort for short trips. I cannot see us doing any serious touring but maybe the occasional daytrip.
Hmmm, maybe a "sport-tourer" would float your collective boat nicely...?

* Ducati ST2/ST4/ST4s :drool:
* Honda VFR (already mentioned)
* Triumph Sprint ST
* aprilia Futura

I'm partial to the last one... :p

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks for the input - the same names keep coming up.... which is a good sign. Seriously considering the Concours / FJ / ST11or1300 - if it comes about I'll be looking for used I think..

Actually, my missus caught me checking out the ST1300 and FJ1300 at the local dealer the other day and told me to call off the hounds . . . . I'm always trying to get her interested in riding and she blows hot and cold about it - I'm still researching though - she'll change her mind I bet when the sun comes out and I'm off down to the Atwood Lake ice cream stand on my bike...

A funny thing though, when I was looking at the ST and FJ I bumped into a friend who wants to sell his 748 - hmmm.... thinking that would look nice next to the Supersport!!! :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Comfortable tourer / cruiser

buck000 said:
* aprilia Futura

I'm partial to the last one... :p
ha ha . . . if I was going to be getting this as my only bike, I'd be looking HARD at that option!!! What a beauty. What are your impressions of it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Comfortable tourer / cruiser

BamBam said:
ha ha . . . if I was going to be getting this as my only bike, I'd be looking HARD at that option!!! What a beauty. What are your impressions of it?
Well, simply put, I'm not worthy. :D

Plus side:
+ Great power, like I need that (I'm currently at about 100 rear-wheel hp, measured on an eddy-current dyno :eek: )
+ Very stable, wet/dry/fast/slow/etc.
+ Flame Red, nuff said. :)
+ Stock seat considered one of the best in the industry, for the pillion, too (hint, hint).
+ Substantial discounts available, as far as I can tell.

Minuses:
- Small dealer network
- sewing machine sound (rectified by baffle-less Staintunes; I'm happy ;) ).
- Very little aftermarket stuff available.
- Spend a lot of time answering questions about the bike at hangouts; but you're probably used to that already ;)

I'm not a very experienced rider, but I can't imagine having another bike. :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kawasaki ZZR1200 is pretty sweet, more standard seating and decent passenger seat. And has a hard saddle bag option.

Unless your looking for something smaller then the Kawasaki ZR-7S (750) also has a hard bag option and better passenger seat. I also has a short passenger back pad available. The ZZR1200 may also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are several types of motorcycles that you can get the corbin seat with the removable backrest, its definatley worth looking into. (Unless the Corbin seats goes under due to some legal stuff thats going on.):huh:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've test driven several full dress bikes and half dress bikes at Daytona over the last two years.. I live only an hour away so go to Bike week in March and Biketoberfest every year..

the most comfortable for a passenger is a tie between the Gold Wing, the BMW full dresser and the Yamaha Royal Star Venture.

Handling out on the road goes to the Honda,, but around town stop and go the Venture is much eaiser to live with.. the Honda seems to have a tall seat,, and a tall first gear.. I'm 5'9" and have to slide forward to reach the ground at a stop light and you have to rev the engine and be carfull with the cluth taking off.

the Yamaha will almost idle away from a light and it's lower seat makes it a much better stop and go bike.. Out on the road,, the Gold Wing seems almost like a big (Very big) sport bike,, it handles great for a bike that big once it is moving.

Bikes a little less over the top there is a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe.. It has the same saddle bags, but no trunk, a large plexi windshield instead of full fairing.. still has stereo but no intercom. and the seat is not quite as comfortable but still nice with the added benefit of the padded sissy bar and passenger seat are removeable (as is the windscreen) for those solo rides.

the other nice bike for touring but not over the top is the Kawasaki Nomad...

the sport touring bikes will be more suited to your riding style, but still not that great for a passenger.

·
Registered
624 Posts
BamBam said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys...

VFR with the backrest - hadn't considered that - hmm, Bonk, have you got any photos with that configuration? Does your wife have any grumbles?
I don't but I can snap a few and e-mail them to you. I'll try to remember next time we're two up. I also have Corbin bags so we can pack for an overnight.

She says the VFR is pretty comfortable, but she does get buffeted by wind at higher speeds. I assume the ST1300 and FJR have bigger windscreens to address this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yamaha FJR1300

Just thought I'd post a quick note concerning the FJR1300. I have an '05, and I love it. I just rode from my homestate of Georgia up to Pittsburgh and it wasn't that bad. I have three inch risers to improve my posture and I think it helps. My back was good to go.
A picture of the FJR is on my Yahoo profile page..
http://profiles.yahoo.com/Mikeinpitt39

Where are the good day/weekend rides in PA? I just got here and thought about riding up to the big lake this weekend.
Any thoughts or ideas on good rides? Twisty rides are encouraged!
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Abit on to the sportier side, a busa makes a pretty good tourer so long as you are talking about short rides.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts