Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's weird, I have received more private messages at sportbikeword than any other forum. Are they invitations for a steamy clandestine affair? NO! :crying: , they are questions about supermotards!
Come out of the closet!
Share our guilty pleasures with the other sufferers on this dead board! Thats why I joined this group (good group)!
It's great to get private messages, but I hate typing when I could be riding! I figure, I'll only have to type once, if it's on this board.
So, come on, lets light this board up guys, our time has come! Click the following Don Canet's out of the closet!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Grok...I can't believe i've actually found someone who owns a Husaberg Supermotard!!!! I've been lusting after the FS650e for some time now, and debating on whether I should buy one (mainly concerned with how hard it would be to make it street legal). I'm really intrigued by the 'berg's light (superlight) weight and high build quality.
So, maybe you can answer the question that I can't seem to find on the net. How much HP does the 650e put out?? Secondly, what is the price of one of these?? Third, do you know of a site that gives all the Husaberg dealer listings??? Oh, one more thing......is the FS650e a totally stripped down bike?? I think it has an electric start, but does it at least have a speedometer or anything??? Thanks for your help!!
Eric
Jacksonville, FL

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi crazy, first of all here is a link to a Husaberg forum thats very good, this should drop you right into a post I made about my bike. http://www.husaberg.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=2&forum=1
Also, here is the Husaberg web-site Husaberg it has the dealers listed.
The FS650C is the stripped down bike and has the competion rear baffle, filled to the brim with gas and all the fluids, it weighs 258 pounds!
My bike is the FS650E and comes with an electric starter, signals, head/tail and brakelights, a keyed ignition, steering lock and yes a speedo with resettable trip meter. I weighed my bike, filled to the brim with gas and all the fluids, 272 pounds! So yes it's light. They also centralized it's tiny mass incredibly well. The counter-balancer is a marvel of simplicity and effectiveness, it is suprisingly smooth. It is a counter-rotating "lamb-chop" that also mitigates the gyroscopic effect of the crank. Translation, This sucker turns....Fast!
The stock bike, with it's restrictive but quiet baffle, puts between 52 and 54 HP to the rear wheel. Less than 100 bucks and some fiddling around (see URL above) has netted me at least 60 HP at the rear wheel. The front tire doesn't get much wear!

This is like a factory ride, unbelievable.:D
In Canadian funds, with 14% sales tax, it cost $13,000 (about 500 bucks U.S.:twofinger )

This bike is an addiction and like all addictions, it has its costs.
1) Oil changes every 500 miles. (1 quart of synthetic)
2) Sometimes slow for parts.
3) Hard to get one.
4) People are always stopping you on the street to ask questions!

These things generally need about 5 times as much maintainence as your average Japanese machine. But, they are far from average, this thing is waaay too much fun!:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the great info. I checked out that site and it was quite informative. I had just one question though. The picture of the FS650e doesn't show turn signals. Is this just a screw up?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is, because it would be great news to find out these come street legal.
One more thing.....when you said these require about "5 times as much maintenance as a Japanese bike", what did you actually mean?? If I buy one of these, I want it to be reliable as it will be my daily mount. Thanks again for your reply.
Eric

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes it has turn-signals and 272 is the weight with everything.
Oh, it comes with 2 cheesy mirrors.
5 Times the maintainance? This means for stuff like, valve adjustments, freshening up the top end etc. You would have to do that much more often. But it's not so bad because the are so easy to work on and only have 1 cylinder and so on. (everything is light and easy to handle too)
I use my bike for a commuter :eek: :D and reliability has not really been an issue. The roller rocker was a warranty issue, they sent out an upgraded starter gear to all 2001 owners, I had no problems with the E-Start though.
But I repeat, you gotta do the maintainance, it goes with the territory.
The power to weight and suspension quality etc, make it all worthwhile to me.
Bonus, the police hardly look at you, theyr'e looking for the full-faired racer-replicas!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was busy !!

Kevlar7R said:
I'm suprised Buck hasn't replied to this one yet.
Been a very busy morning here at the office. I have actually had to work.. You guys remember work, don't cha?

If I get a SuperMotard, does that make me a HomoMotard?
A SuperHoetard.... A forgetaboutit... Its not funny.:p

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: Re: I was busy !!

thothscribe said:

LMAO!!!! Hot pink SuperHoetard...... Gotta be hot pink.
I'll just bet those nice folks at JoeRocketshit are drawing up plans for those leathers as we speak... Is gold lamei skid resistant?

·
Registered
199 Posts
LOL

Grok said:
SuperLeotard?!?
Nah, I'm a Scorpio, man!

But seriousily now,

Are those hoodlum things street legal in all 50? Looks like to most fun from the dirt and the road, without the comprimises of an enduro.

Looks way fun!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Grok. Thanks again for the extra info. I read your post on the unofficial Husaberg website and it answered a lot of my questions. Looks like if I do decide to get one i'll have to get the "bugs" sorted out with jetting, etc., but after that I think it will be a bike I would really enjoy. Hopefully if I get a 2002, the rocker arm problem will already be fixed during production, right??
Before I got your last reply, I called Husaberg USA headquarters in Ohio, and talked with some guy with a Swedish sounding accent about the 650e. He says that the bike doesn't come with signals, mirrors, horn, etc. Maybe the Canadian models do, but according to him, I will have to fit these on the bike myself. Kinda sucks, especially since they charge you $7,900 USD for one of these. But who cares....I really don't mind paying that for a featherweight bike that has all the top-notch componetry on it. Sixty HP and 272 lbs fully fueled.......now that's a bike I could have a lot of fun on!!
Eric

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I think the FS650E does come with all the stuff, maybe a bit more investigating is in order. Even though the 2002 models have a new exhaust, I think the U.S. model gets the 2001 System(spark arrestor). My rocker issue was an assembly boo boo I think. But the cam has such a steep acceleration/deceleration ramps (they are actually concave) that anything amiss in the valve train will likely create problems. You can get cams with the same lift and duration but the overlap is greater etc. Result, the bottom end doesn't have the slam of the stocker and the valve train has an easier existence.
Ah well, no free lunch!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts