Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for a ride last night around 5, it was a bit chilly, 57, but I enjoyed it. My problem is that I went on the freeway for roughly 5 miles. About 1 mile into it, it felt like there was a crosswind blowing on me, but there was no wind. It almost felt like I was floating on air. Granted the VFR does have a nice ride to it, but not like this. My tire pressure is ok, no flats or anything. I think I just need to warm up my tires better.
My question is, HOW? Do I wrap them up in an electric blanket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Really the only way to warm your tires up (besides buying tire-warmers) is to ride on them.

I have seen so many people weave from side-to-side to imitate the racers they see on TV. This does almost nothing to warm your tires up, the weaving is ment more to "scuff" up a set of tires more than warming them up. I had a nice article proving that weaving does next to nothing for warming the tires up, but I can't remember where it is right now.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sportbikeworld said:
I had a nice article proving that weaving does next to nothing for warming the tires up, but I can't remember where it is right now.
I believe http://www.motorcycle.com has an article on that. It's from last year, so you may have to search, but I think that's where I saw it. Or check http://www.roadracingworld.com It's one of those two...:)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
slip-slidin' away

robert,

the article was in roadracingworld. it also had the tire measurements as well. it was posted in the club racer section a long, long time ago.

adam,

not true, at 57* you can get tires up to operating temps, you can't get pavement warm. a few weekends ago i did my first race weekend and it took a couple of laps of sliding to get the tires up to temp, but they got there (well as close as i can get 'em).
--------------------------------------------

it could be a few things depending on your experience (imo).

1--tires dropped in pressure a bit and the cold pavement and cold tires and flexing sidewalls felt like you were all over the place. this is why some riders don't use lower tire pressures, it can feel like the bike is moving around. most guys who run lower pressures don't even feel it.

2--it's cold and you're not getting heat into the tires. in this case try dropping a pound or two (less pressure=more heat)

like robert said, side-to-side=bad

try riding longer and taking time to get your lean angles further and further over.

just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
When it gets really cold out - I'd say 50 or less, I just stop riding. Simply b/c no matter what I do to get the tires warm I still slide like crazy. As Tony said you can get the tires warm but the asphalt is still cold and that's just as much as a factor IMO. I've tried to drop the tire pressure down to about 30 psi but the R1 seems to show the stability loss a little bit.

·
Registered
503 Posts
im w/tony on this. all last winter i rode everyday the roads were clear (usually at least once a week). some mornings were in the low teens. the only time i ever experienced that feeling was when the tire pressure was down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree. Lower the pressure a bit and just ride a bit easier. I was out the other weekend and the temperature never got above 45 degrees, but I still enjoyed the ride. Plan to ride to work tomorrow and it will likely not get above 40. Just take it easy and enjoy winter riding. Heck, it is always better than the alternative; a cage! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts