Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what tempature do tires start to get cold and need to be warmed up before its safe to take the bike into corners? What is a good procedure for warming them, and after how long would you consider them warm?

·
Registered
746 Posts
You want to ride for at least 5 to 10 minutes to warm up your tires no matter what the outside temp is. Depends on the tires too, but that's a good rule of thumb.

-M-

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
--otherwise you take a corner or a bend & both you & the bike end up being on your ear. Yet when tyres are warm the above would not have happened.

Even then my first bit of riding this is when take it easy for the next 15 minutes or so.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Do the nascar style weave back and forth for about a mile at around 30 mph.. that tends to do the trick around summer time.
Winter time is a bitch, cause the pavement is cold, so its hard to keep the tires at any descent temp.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
I've heard that those weaves don't do a thing to warm up tires.
True dat...tests were done to see Exactly what did warm up tires...Hard braking, and hard acceleration, and gradgual (sp) high speed cornering...:D

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Vash said:
Must you ruin my placebo?
If it helps at all Vash, I've sometimes used the weave to loosen ME up after a long haul of straight riding, approaching a fun section. Get my feel on!;) It's true that it doesn't do much for heating tires, though.

Something to keep in mind is that street compounds are generally intended to work between 50 degF and 150 degF. In the cold weather you may never get them right and yes, they can be slippery. The colder it gets, the more time you need to allow. A few miles are usually enough... unless it's really cold out. Then forget about it and just take it easy. Based on street riding.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i have heard..... just that heard... no proof.

Riding your breaks lightly both front and rear is the easiest way to warm them up fast.

or you could use a hair dryer? :twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mainerdr said:
i have heard..... just that heard... no proof.

Riding your breaks lightly both front and rear is the easiest way to warm them up fast.

or you could use a hair dryer? :twofinger
Used to do that before stoppie practive, drag the front brake for about a block. But I would think you would have to use them one at a time, and do the whole speed up slow down thing trying to warm the rear...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
my luck someone is about to tell that doesnt warm them up either...

Dad: Yea, thats what I meant. :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
hard excel and braking warm up the tires. Im no scientist but my understanding is that you need to put pressure on the compound, causing the molecules/rubber to heat from being compressed, and decompressed rapidly and with force. friction is not what heats the tires. Dragging the brakes will warm the brakes, but i dont think it will do anything for the tires. weaving does not apply enough force to the tire to heat it properly. This is what ive heard anyway.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am / was a scientist and I can tell you that riding the front brakes will warm up the tire quickly.

jab said:
hard excel and braking warm up the tires. Im no scientist but my understanding is that you need to put pressure on the compound, causing the molecules/rubber to heat from being compressed, and decompressed rapidly and with force. friction is not what heats the tires. Dragging the brakes will warm the brakes, but i dont think it will do anything for the tires. weaving does not apply enough force to the tire to heat it properly. This is what ive heard anyway.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
most of my projects look like science expiriements, and I believe that qualifies me.

Here is my logic for the weaving thing.. The tire flexes a touch under the weight of the motorcycle, it is not a rigid tube. Thus the part closest to the ground is flat. Around the flat patch, where the tire returns to its tube shaped there is a sharp bend. As you weave back and forth you transfer the flat spot back and forth, which means rubber is rolling over the sharp bend. In order to make the radius adjustment either the inside of the tire will comress or the outside will stratch (I'm guessing the outside will stretch since the belts are on the inside). This stretching should warm the rubber up. Its like taking a sheet of rubber, folding a crease and rolling the crease back and forth.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
mainerdr said:
I am / was a scientist and I can tell you that riding the front brakes will warm up the tire quickly.
Hmmm, I assume you have Documented proof of this...? :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
There is no degree requirment to be a scientist.. just a white labcoat.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hammer 4 said:
Hmmm, I assume you have Documented proof of this...? :D
yes sir I do.... and the proof is in the puddin'.... well, my dog ate the pudding but I am sure I can get the proof later today from him.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mainerdr said:
I think to get a job as a scientist you do need a degree.....
Nah, Just gotta prove that you can get it done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts