Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode to work today. It only got as high as 38F today, but I found the faring on my bike, and bundling up, made it not so bad. My hands didn't even freeze, although they were cold. I never felt numb. The ride was only about 15 or 20 minutes, with only a mile or two on the freeway. I think unless it is snowing, or below freezing (literally), I'm seeing less and less reason to not ride on a given day. Tomorrow calls for more of the same weather, and I plan to ride again. I did have a moment of doubt though. While on the highway stetch I had a bit of wet snow, but it stopped quickly, and the road was to warm for it to stick.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
This is a little below my riding limit. I think I'll go for a ride at the end of the week when it warms up a little.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
While in California it would get up into the 80's and 90's during the day, it was still mid to low 40's at nights, so I had to ride in to work in that every morning. The key to cold riding is to layer your clothing. I would have a long sleeve shirt, a fleece, a jacket, and then a heavy coat on almost every day. Just take a backpack or bungee tie-downs to hold the extra stuff for the ride home. I rode about 65 miles each way like that and loved every minute of it. Just make sure the tires are good and warmed up before hitting any twisties you may encounter on your way to/from work. :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Some Kimpex grip heaters at $25 and a Gerbings heated jacket at <$180 will make you so toasty that you can ride in the 30s indefinitely. My commute is 50 miles each way and I got three full commutes in last week in NH. One morning was 40, on was 34 and one was 30. I was never cold. Hitting ice sucks though. Ice is my gating factor, if there's a chance of ice (we get a lot of it here) I leave the bike at home and take my car which is equipped with studded snow tires.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Tempted to take the bike to-day only that would require an hr plus to re-insure it & I know the beauty of yesterday was going to change to colder weather.

So down to the lumber yard in Penticton to buy, order plywood & 2X4s at GHASTLY high prices along with some dust maskes for those at the gun Club in the next week plus or a lot of work.

I noticed this BIG cloud of dust & it almost looked like another slide of the clay banks ONLY this was in the city. Turns out it was all the crap from a power-driven sweeper ----- that shows how much crap is on the paved roads to take a rider down. Little wonder I am not riding YET.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Smitty,

We had snow and ice over the last couple of days and all the sand that was swept up just the week before is back. Could hardly see my road yesterday morning. I gotta another few weeks to wait for good riding weather. Last week was nice while it lasted. I keep my bikes insured year round. Not very expensive to do so here in NH.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Same here I feel. For to-day was the first bit of trying to clean up the crap in my town & man I could hardly believe the large rocks that were now in the middle of the street, being as large as one's fist when closed so no wonder I refer to it as salt, sand/gravel. I even drove my cage around them rather then hit them with any wheel. Things like that are an eye-opener to every m/cist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts