Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is upshifting without the clutch harmful to your bike or is it ok? Same question about downshifting? A friend of mine says he does this, so i tried it and liked it a lot better but if it is doing any damage i wont anymore.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
jrog24 said:
Is upshifting without the clutch harmful to your bike or is it ok? Same question about downshifting? A friend of mine says he does this, so i tried it and liked it a lot better but if it is doing any damage i wont anymore.
So long as you back-off the throttle for the split-second that you're shifting, which unloads the motor / gearbox, you shouldn't do any damage.

I only do it on upshifts myself. I prefer to clutch on the way down to give smoother compression braking.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Re: Re: Clutch?

cookeetree said:
So long as you back-off the throttle for the split-second that you're shifting, which unloads the motor / gearbox, you shouldn't do any damage.

I only do it on upshifts myself. I prefer to clutch on the way down to give smoother compression braking.
what cookeetree said.;)

somtimes, when i feel like being naughty, i down shift two gears and drop the clutch while i enter a turn, then i use the throttle to keep the back tire spinning as i go through the apex, it scares the people driving cages when i do it on the freeway onramps.:p :thumbs2:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Clutch?

Fatman said:
...somtimes, when i feel like being naughty, i down shift two gears and drop the clutch while i enter a turn, then i use the throttle to keep the back tire spinning as i go through the apex, it scares the people driving cages when i do it on the freeway onramps.:p :thumbs2:
Tyre shops must love you! :D

An uncle used to own a tyre shop. He always loved the sound of burnouts, 'cause it was money in his pocket.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Up shifting after I have reached 2nd cog is fine for me, but not down shifting. Proof is my bikes can be 7 or 14 yrs old & still clutch & cog box is in perfect condition.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
jrog24 said:
Do you have to have a certain clutch for this or anyone can shift without clutch?
Standard clutch. 2nd cog = 2nd gear.

Basically, when you back the throttle off that little bit, all you're doing is unloading the gearbox. It's just a short, quick snap of the throttle. Just enough to unload the 'box. This allows you to click up to the next gear while there's no pressure on the clutch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed if you shift lower rpm's it goes in no trouble. There is really no need to stretch out the gears, bike has plenty of power to get up to speed with cagers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You got the 250 right cookee? Most likely it is necessary to stretch out gears even under normar driving. Correct me if i am wrong in this.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
jrog24 said:
You got the 250 right cookee? Most likely it is necessary to stretch out gears even under normar driving. Correct me if i am wrong in this.
600, but I started on a 250. Actually, it looks like finances will be forcing me back onto it. :crying:

It's not necessary to stretch the gears out but, like I said, it's more fun. The 250's peak hp is around 11,000 rpm so, if you're wanting to give the bike some stick, you've gotta stay up there. Just depends on how you want to ride.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You can bend your shift fork performing a clutchless shift. More so on downshifts, but unless you mess up the manuver is harmless.
For this reason I only do it during aggressive upshifts..

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Back in the late 40s to well into the 60s we had terrible times with slipping clutchs on the Brit irons when used for competition. These being basically 350 to 500cc though some 750cc bikes. So some of use would add an inner spring to each of the clutch basket springs & end of trouble ONLY it was a beast to pull in the clutch.

In MX & so many other events, bar Observed Trials, I would be fatigued out with my left hand useless other then hanging onto the bar--by the 4th or 6th lap. Form then on I would, as we said "crash the box" meaning I would shift up or down with no clutch.

Often when I came into the pits my pit man would grab the bike as I rolled off to lay dawn with my left hand, fingers & forearms simply screaming with pain. Yes I practiced a lot with a boom handle & some weights at the bottom rolling them up in different ways to burn & work the forarms, but not enough.

It worked, though at times you would have an inbetween neutral sending the engine screaming (no rev limiters in those days) & often we were pulling apart the cog box & replacing gears, shafts, to selectors.

·
Registered
577 Posts
jrog24 said:
Sooooo what ya'll are saying is that you dont do it on a regular basis???
its okay to do clutchless upshifts as long as you chop the throttle to unload the tranny, if you try to shift power on then you need to slip the clutch a little or you can break things in the tranny. I avoid clutchless full power upshifts( chop throttle between shift) from fist to second, partly because second gear is the most abused gear in the tranny, and partly because i don't like getting smacked in the face by the handle bars on my bike when it trys to flip over backwards.:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts