Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 02 R6. Lately if you are in second gear and getting on it fairly hard when you hit 8,000 rpm it feels like the engine slips. We pulled the clutch fibers out and they looked like they were almost new!! We replaced them anyways because we had the new ones right there. Anyone have any insight to this problem it is very annoying and were not sure were to go from here :crying: . It only happens in 2nd gear at around 8,000 rpm and it just does it for a moment and then keeps going. The engine has about 12,000 miles on it and runs awesome other then in 2nd. Could it be possible its slipping into a false neutral and then kicking back in?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Has he been doing any wheelies? If so then the tranny will prolly need rebuilt.. Possibly a bent shift fork?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He hasn't done any wheelies and he never really was hard on it. I was thinking a bent shift fork also but it shifts like a dream. Is there a way to further see if its a shift fork?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
bmacd said:
that's the most ignorant post i've ever read.

-=bmacd=-
You should read some of your own then, like "I'm going on a date, should I bring my Mom with us? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
bmschrad said:
My buddy has a 02 R6. Lately if you are in second gear and getting on it fairly hard when you hit 8,000 rpm it feels like the engine slips. We pulled the clutch fibers out and they looked like they were almost new!! We replaced them anyways because we had the new ones right there. Anyone have any insight to this problem it is very annoying and were not sure were to go from here :crying: . It only happens in 2nd gear at around 8,000 rpm and it just does it for a moment and then keeps going. The engine has about 12,000 miles on it and runs awesome other then in 2nd. Could it be possible its slipping into a false neutral and then kicking back in?
do the rpms shoot up without any noticable acceleration?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
bmschrad said:
Sounds like it's a bent shift fork......but not guarantee'd. Only spliting the engine case and getting to it would confirm it. Tell your buddy to take it easy on her or it's going to get 10 times worse. The damage doesn't have to come from wheelies, it could jsut come from power shifting or shifting hard into second even with the clutch. Yamaha's tend to have weaker shift forks than other brands, therefor the problem is usually easy to identify when these conditions exist. Never heard of a "False Nuetral."

·
Registered
610 Posts
that's the most ignorant post i've ever read.

3 buddies 3 second gears goin out.. 01 f4i, 03 gsxr 1000, 95 f2..

First 2 clutch up or bounce up wheelies... Think about it.. What gear do you actually use the most... 2nd when stunting!

·
Registered
51 Posts
docta_freeze said:
3 buddies 3 second gears goin out.. 01 f4i, 03 gsxr 1000, 95 f2..

First 2 clutch up or bounce up wheelies... Think about it.. What gear do you actually use the most... 2nd when stunting!
Welcome to my no 2nd gear world LOL Must be cuz i'm such a sweet stunnna
:twofinger

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
It's not a bent fork and it's not from wheelies. The clutch is slipping. If it was falling out of gear as it might from bent forks it would not feel like a slip and it most definitely wouldn't go back into gear without using the shift lever. And a bike going from a false neutral back into gear will treat the rider to some of the most horrifying sounds to come out of the expensive part of the bike.

Why the clutch is slipping is the real question?? In 2nd and around 8k is exactly where it's most likely to occur for a couple reasons that aren't important.

Are the springs weak, did you check their free length when you had it apart.

Did you change the metal plates too or just the fiber plates.

Did you check for warped plates

Is the clutch cable/hydraulics hanging up for some reason (I think it's a cable on the 02??). When was the last time the cable was lubed and the routing checked?

Just a few places to concentrate your attention. Good luck

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
well..if you pulled the clutch and it did not look bad but the engine over-revs in gear then ya probably did not look close enough. I recommend getting it to a shop...(mine preferrably) to have it looked at..I can almost guarantee it needs a clutch and springs....if it was popping out then I would say shift fork or gear going out...but the engine feeling like it is revving and you are getting no where...I bet the steels are blued or spotted and the fibers felt smooth as glass and kinda shiney too....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks for all the replies guys you have given me a lot to work with :drool:. I still think its the clutch also because if it was a shift fork it wouldn't pop right back in and it dosent make any kind of grinding noise. We inspected the steel and it looked ok (no discoloration ) but didn't see if they were warped or not. We also didn't measure the springs so its very possible those could have been worn out. I think he is just going to order new steels and springs just to be safe. Its just so odd that it happens only in 2nd gear at around the same rpm. I thought it would happen in 1st gear the most because of all the torque. So am I safe to assume that it is a clutch problem still and not a bent shift fork?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
OK..whadda ya mean it pops right back in gear...I do not think I caught that from the original question...a clutch will not cause a bike to pop outta gear...so if it physically disengages second then there is a problem in second gear (shift fork, bad teeth..something).....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry my bad it dosen't pop out of gear it just slips for a second. You don't have to shift it back in, it just revs for a second and then picks right back up. I will give you a step by step we pull the clutch in shift to second, then give her the gas when you hit about 8,000 rpm and your about half throttle or more it revs for a second then picks back up.
Judge said:
OK..whadda ya mean it pops right back in gear...I do not think I caught that from the original question...a clutch will not cause a bike to pop outta gear...so if it physically disengages second then there is a problem in second gear (shift fork, bad teeth..something).....

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
clutch. don't bother with stock replacement. get Barnett and use the stiff springs...or bring it by and we'll do it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Judge said:
clutch. don't bother with stock replacement. get Barnett and use the stiff springs...or bring it by and we'll do it.
I had Barnett fibers and Factory steels put replaced last season. I honestly can't tell the difference between stock and aftermarket, so get whatever is less expensive!

-=bmacd=-

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
first: the springs make the difference
second: Barnett fibers was cheaper than factory, steels were about the same.
lastly...ah nevermind...listen to whoever you want...but remember this...my bike has oil and its factory engine in it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like I can get the whole Barnett clutch kit - fibers, steels, and springs for like $120. Thats not to bad. Does Barnett offer different types of springs? I know Judge said get the stiff ones but I don't see an option for different types of springs. I also looked on their website and they just had the kit so I am assuming the stiffer springs are incuded.

One more quick question, I know grooves in the basket can cause erratic clutch opperation. There looked like there maybe little one ( could barely feel with my fingers ) in the basket. How bad do they have to be before I file them or need a new basket?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
the barnett kit usually comes with two sets of spring, one weak and one stiff. if yours only comes with one set it is probably the stiff ones (lay them next to stock, they will be longer and larger gauge coil winding). grooves are bad period but I will not tell you yes or no without seeing them...but know this: a groove will start a stress fracture and then you will be replacing more than just the clutch basket.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts