Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you all let out the clutch gradually when you shift gears at cruising speed, or just pop it in, shift gears, let go?

i usually do the latter on my dirtbike and ATV, and havnt had any problems yet

·
Registered
4 Posts
The smoother you are the safer you are. Smooth on the throttle, smooth on the brakes, smooth on the lean. But remember, smooth does not equal slow, if that makes any sense to you. You can be fast with it AND be smooth at the same time. You just really want to avoid upsetting the balance of the bike with jerky motions and inputs.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just let go because by then I'm already back on the throttle..

·
Registered
860 Posts
It's almost become second nature to me. When I shift I really dont make a full pull. I normally pull with two fingers.Just enough to disenage the clutch. I don't pull it in like I would sitting at a stop light. It's such a quick thing just off and on.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I simpy tap the clutch when going down in gear & often tap it when going up, definately when going from 1st to 2nd & then it depends upon my traffic at the time for I might not even tap the clutch when shifting up.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Smitty said:
I simpy tap the clutch when going down in gear & often tap it when going up, definately when going from 1st to 2nd & then it depends upon my traffic at the time for I might not even tap the clutch when shifting up.
ditto.... I don't use the clutch much after takeoff and the 1 - 2 shift. I do use the clutch on downshifts, since we don't have slipper clutches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts