Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any opinions (silly question!) about clearcoating over existing graphics to protect them and preventing de-lamination?

·
Registered
68 Posts
well when I get my new side panels and repaint my Duc I am planning on putting the stickers back on and then a few coats of Clear coat over it. that way when waxing I wont have the tendancy to get that little annoying whit residue at the edges.

ClearCoat everything. it makes for a nice smooth shiny polish.

Is that even what the heck you were referring to?

Mike

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
You certainly can do it. If you ever noticed, gas tank stickers are always under the clear but the rest usually aren't. I think that's to protect from gas spillage working on the glue. I have repaired plastics where the stickers weren't damaged and just masked them, painted the color, and then cleared them under. The disadvantage is if you damage just the sticker area you can't get it off to replace. On some repairs, I have also touched up minor damage to stickers with paint and then cleared the whole thing. It's really preference but I wouldn't clear them unless I had to. Just some thoughts.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
4u2njoy

As A Painter talking from experience........I would Not Clear over A Nasty Base!

For chips-->Touch up & wet sand Before klearing!

Wipe Down with wax & grease remover because,while wet....thats how Your job will looked Kleared!!!!!!

And Use 600grit wet & dry paper after soaking in in soapy water 15mins!!!To Scuff up area to not cause lifting of Klear!!!!!!

You can Not Klear over Shiney surface,thinking Klear is'nt gonna lift!!!:rolleyes:!

Any questions E-Mail Me At [email protected] or call (201)372-0551!!!!!!!!"I'd be more then Happy To Help!;)

(No Extra Charge!!!!!!!!!!HeHe!!!!:D)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I'm not even sure if its worth doing...I have a large hump in the tank, and even with a magnetic tank pad, i still scuff up the paint around it. Obviously I'm a fanatic, as I'm sure some of you are too. I was going to have the tank clear coated again, and I was considering clear coating over the graphics on the side. It makes waxing and cleanup easier and looks better. My guess is that it doesn't come that way from the factory for expense reasons. Are there any other reasons I shouldn't do it? Any info would be appreciated (except the part about my hump!!):D :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that does look awesome....did you go down, and had to repaint anyway? seems like it must have been a lot of work:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts