Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last owner did a number on the chain. I have never seen this much junk and crap on a chain in my life. Yet, I haven't cleaned it in the 3000+ miles that I've owned the bike. Well, I plan on it now. I've heard everything from gas, kerosene, and even brake cleaner. What do you guys use?

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have found that WD-40 and a small vinyl bristle brush works very well to clean off the gunk. I have a GrungeBuster brush which is designed for chains and works great
My personal ritual is to scrub the chain real well with WD then I blow it dry with the air compressor to remove all the excess WD and the dry it real well. Take it for a little spin to warm up the chain then apply a good coat of chain wax. Let it dry and then wipe down the outside of the chain, strictly for appearance reasons.
Once you get it real clean, if you wipe it down with a rag once a week or so, it should stay pretty clean.
This is what I do, but as you will see by all of the following posts, everyone has there own opinion on this subject. Kerosene will also work as a cleaner. I find WD easier to work with.
Another little trick I came up with to minimize the mess is I customized a piece of rubber, cardboard will work too, to fit between the chain and the wheel to keep the overspray off the wheel and tire. Makes cleanup easier. Good Luck :)

------------------
Dave fzR1

"When I grow up... I wanna be a SQUIIIID!"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed the mod about deleting the other thread. Tomorrow I guess I'm cleaning. Excellent.

------------------

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I'm lazy. Really lazy. Turns out I didn't have any WD40 in my garage. I could have sworn I did. So instead of buying some I just rode around. Tisk tisk tisk. Maybe that will be my project tomorrow after school.

------------------

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use CRC or WD40 and then the Grunge Brush to clean the chain. Once it looks pretty good I will spray on som Maxima Chain Wax, which is the best I have found so far. Works for me, but YMMV...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I clean the chain with WD-40 and lube it with heavy weight gear oil IAW the Owner's Manual. :)

Pete can help you if you need any advice on getting the cobwebs off of the chain or other components. :p :D

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:

Pete can help you if you need any advice on getting the cobwebs off of the chain or other components. :p :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, you have to dress appropriately, nothing other than a French Maid's outfit will suffice.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

G

·
Posted by Pete <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>First, you have to dress appropriately, nothing other than a French Maid's outfit will suffice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete, Don't forget your pink feather duster! :D

I personally use WD40, rinse it w/water(Prob not the best idea but I also am lazy!) dry well, I usually use chain lube in a can, but the last time I cleaned it I use 90 w gear oil.. It was ok I guess I only used it once though.. If you do use an oil get a heavy oil 90, And not one that changes like 75w90 ..

I apply it with the bike on the center stand, Fire it up put it in first, (watch the wheel spin freely :D)(VERY DANGEROUS :D) and apply lube with wheel and chain rotating :D, Take a cloth after lubing and completly wipe off excess lube... If you are really strapped for time get a buddy to hold the throttle WFO in fifth gear will you are doing this process ! It speeds things up considerably because excess lube usually flings off in all directions!! If some lube remains, be very careful because that chain is really movin now!!! :D :D

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dear Mr. Squidwannabe,

Thank you for your kind reply to my chain lube query. I had to read it several times though, as you were a bit ambiguous about the point you were trying to make. ;)

I looked at KMart, WalMart, and AutoZone for both chain lube and SAE 90W gear oil, with no luck. My owner's manual says "a heavy oil such as SAE 90 is preferred to a lighter oil because it will stay on the chain longer and provide better lubrication." I take that as a ballpark recommendation, not an edict to use SAE 90. By the way, I do understand oil viscosity ratings - I'm an engineer meaning I'm interested in this stuff + somewhat anal retentive.

Your harangue against multi-weight oil made me think about this even more. I believe that 85W-140 may in fact be BETTER than 90W because 1) 85W-140 will maintain a higher viscosity than 90W at high temperatures and thus have less throw-off and 2) the temperatures reached on the chain do not approach those to which engine oils are subjected and designed for, thus the 140 weight flow characteristics will never be obtained by this oil on a bike chain. The heat *may* be enough to obtain 120 weight flow characteristics, but that means the viscosity of a 120 weight oil at that temperature, not at ambient. This viscosity will be quite adequate to lubricate and protect the chain.

I really do thank you for your input though. As a beginner (albeit 38 years old) I am sure there is a lot I can learn from you and your sportbike cronies.

P.S. I admire your aspirations. Are you sure you're not already there? :)

------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
I couldn't find any 90W oil in the 3 stores I checked, so I got 85W-140 and lubed up. Will that oil work or should I keep looking for 90W or (worst case) go to the dealer and get expensive "chain lube"? Thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
All you WD-40 users out there ought to stop uding it to clean your o-ring chain. WD-40 dries rubber out, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the o-ring seals on your chain, thereby reducing chain life.

Kerosene is the best thing to use because it cleans EVERYTHING, dries without residue, and is cheap. Concerning what to use on your chain: I like wax or the dry-on lubricant. You spray it on, let it sit for 5 min., and ride...splatter-free.

------------------
~Nick
Hey squid, wanna race? No, not down that straight road...we're gonna hit the twisties. Hey, where ya' goin'?

G

·
Posted by paulc <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I couldn't find any 90W oil in the 3 stores I checked, so I got 85W-140 and lubed up. Will that oil work or should I keep looking for 90W or (worst case) go to the dealer and get expensive "chain lube"? Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, What did I say ? Did I say 140 w .. Did I say 85W ?? NO!! Listen to ME!!! I KILL YOU!! (Did anyone hear that kick my dog by the jerky boys ?? AWSOME :D)

Seriously paul,

It sounds ok but ? I wouldn't use it ... I use 90W (18 wheeler Truck) (it was like 3 bucks for 2l) gear oil... It should be at like a Walmart ??

85w - 140 W . Do you know what this means ??

This is a MULTI WEIGHT oil, Due to new marvels in technology this type of oil changes its weight, The first number indicates the viscocity of the oil at a cold temperature,the second number indicates the viscosity at normal operating temperature. I

wouldn't go with this type of oil..
Go with 90w gear oil..

Oh and PS.. I bought chain lube at walmart (Castrol chain lube) for 3 bucks too.

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

G

·
P.S: CBR_BRO might have a point with the 'WD-40 dries rubber out' statement... But I lube my chain every 300 miles so I don't think it should even matter ?

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBR Brutha:
All you WD-40 users out there ought to stop uding it to clean your o-ring chain. WD-40 dries rubber out, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the o-ring seals on your chain, thereby reducing chain life.

Kerosene is the best thing to use because it cleans EVERYTHING, dries without residue, and is cheap. Concerning what to use on your chain: I like wax or the dry-on lubricant. You spray it on, let it sit for 5 min., and ride...splatter-free.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no, not the dreaded WD40 debate!!! :D FWIW, there have been gobs of reports of people using WD40 religiously on their o- and x-ring chains, as a cleaner then lubing with heavy oil/wax/lube, and as a cleaner AND lubricant, without any discernable undue wear on the chain.

Me, I'm kinda anal about going "by the book", and use purpose-specific cleaners and lubricants (PJ1, BelRay, etc.).

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

G

·
Hey Paulc

I'll try to be more strait forward ;) I tend to get carried away..

I think the oil you choose should be good,

1) 85W-140 will maintain a higher viscosity than 90W at high temperatures and thus have less throw-off and...Good call!

2)the temperatures reached on the chain do not approach those to which engine oils are subjected and designed for thus the 140 weight flow characteristics will never be obtained by this oil on a bike chain.If your chain is too tight, the chain can run considerably hotter

The heat *may* be enough to obtain 120 weight flow characteristics, but that means the viscosity of a 120 weight oil at that temperature, not at ambient. This viscosity will be quite adequate to lubricate and protect the chain.Heck 80w will do the job... But is it heavy enough to stay on the chain ?

Just keep an eye out for oil splatters on your swingarm, wheel.
If you have a chain guard, remove it and check how much crud is in there before using your oil.
If you notice a considerable amount of buildup, Then it might be flinging off the chain. I doubt this will happen :) But If it does send me 3$ + shipping and i'll send you some 90W ;)

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBR Brutha:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see if you used only WD-40 for the chain this might be a problem. Everyone still reccomends using chain lube. Don't you think that should take care of things.

As for dry-on lubes, absolutely no lube stays on the chain. PJ-1 is the worst for this claim. That crap is thick, so thick that it collects dirt and road crap. Then it flies off (big suprise) :rolleyes: and sticks to your plastics. It takes a solvents to get the crap off the plastics, rims and off the chain.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Damn rice burners!

[This message has been edited by VYPIR (edited October 14, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts