Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figure I'll end up buying a new(er) bike for next season and I'm getting giddy at the prospect of it :)

I'd like a little advice here if possible from some people who have the bikes I am considering. The likely picks are Honda F4 or ZX7r or ZX9r. (I would be looking around 98 - 00 as the yrs)

Current bike is a 93' Katana 600, I've been riding about a year now and would like a little more jam. As far as my build, I'm 6' 6" and 200lbs, I've sat on both these bikes only and the F4 seems to fit a little better then the kawi's but they are not unbearable by any stretch.

Any thing else about these bikes that might push me to one over the others?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2K ZX-9R, and says it's pretty comfy. I only rode it once, and before I got my 929, so I can't vouch for that. Besides, I think I'm allergic to Kaws; got a terrible rash that didn't go away 'til I bought the 929 :D .

You can probably forget the ZX-7R if comfort's what you're looking for. It's also a heavy pig by today's standards.

The F4 should be do-able, but may not have the performance increase you're looking for---we all know by now what mean machines those Katana's are, right? :D

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Hmmmm, let me see. Honda, Kawi. or Kawi.

DUH! HONDA BROTHA! :D (You had to know that would be my answer)

But the zx9r is a really impressive bike and was on my list when I bought my F4 too. Actually, If you're in the market for a 9, get the 929!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have an F4 and have had no complaints. I only run it at the track nowadays. The last 1500 miles have been all at the track. I beat the purple piss out of it and it just begs for more. Frankly it seems that the motor is better than ever. I have yet to have to order any parts other than oil filters and aftermarket goodies. At 6'6' though you may be better suited to go with a larger machine. I would definitely go with the ZX9 over the 7R. The 7 is a pig that simply hasn't progressed with the times. If you can afford it I'd look at the '00 GSXR750. I think it's the perfect mix of wieght and power but have yet to ride one myself. And that Kawasaki Green is just plain ugly. :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Probis said:
...I've been riding about a year now and would like a little more jam.
Then keep your current bike and spend the money you're budgeting for a replacement on some riding classes. You'll go faster, more safely, than you would on a new bike. After taking the classes, sign up for some track days and practice the techniques you've learned.

Then, in 2002, buy yourself a new bike. You'll be a better rider, and will be able to make a more informed decision with your newfound skills.

I've been riding for 20 years and have put more than 200,000 miles on street bikes. I took a Keith Code class last weekend and learned something in the first lecture before we hit the track. In the third track session my assigned on-track instructor pulled me off and gave me a tip in mid-session. At the end of the day when I looked at my lap charts I noticed a six-second improvement in my lap times after that tip, and I wasn't trying as hard.

It's 90 percent rider and 10 percent bike. Spend your money where it counts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with photobug, take as many quality riding classes as you can. Then, when you are ready, get a new or newer bike. Being a tall rider may make a difference with some bikes. I am fairly tall as well (6'4") and I currently ride a '00 ZX9R and it is quite comfortable. It's a big difference over the ZX7R I had before. As for an F4 or 929, I have riden both a few times and they are also pretty comfortable. It doesn't really matter what you choose, as long as you like it, can ride it well and it's comfortable, that's all that matters. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have to agree with Photobug. Although the allure of that new bike is hard to fight, your skill as a rider is probably still rising exponentially. It all depends on what you want out of riding. There's a guy in our group who just traded his 1-year old Katana for a new GSXR750. This guy couldn't handle the Katana all that well. You sound like a level-headed person and I don't want to turn into a lecturer, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. BTW, welcome to the forums and keep us updated! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn the voice of reason! :) Quite correct, simply because I've reached the top speed of the bike doesn't mean I've reached the limit of the bike. I'm sure it still has a lot to teach me.

Perhaps I will sink a few hundred bucks into classes, schools and track days. After all, what fun is wearing a leather suit just to drive around the city.

Thanks for the input guys, sometimes when the bug bites I just need to be reminded of a few things (bastards :) ) Looks like I'll be pearched on the kan of tuna for at least another season or two.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Damn dude....6'6" and your gonna fold your lanky ass up on a 600 or even a 900....do yourself a favor....wait till the ZRX1200 comes out(soon)then sit on the ZX-9 and then the ZRX1200....then make a decision.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Damn dude....6'6" and your gonna fold your lanky ass up on a 600 or even a 900....do yourself a favor....wait till the ZRX1200 comes out(soon)then sit on the ZX-9 and then the ZRX1200....then make a decision."

LOL :)

Well the little katana is surprisingly comfortable compared to several other bikes I've tried. A 1200 may be a bit out of the price range of my lanky ass ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check out the prices....new Kaw ZX-9 is 9500-10,000$...new Kaw ZRX1200 is 8200$..same as some of the 600s...I think 8200$ for a sporty 1200 is a great price....Yamaha has a new 1000 out and Suzuki makes the 1200 Bandit....both are great for big dudes.....and make lots of power....just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
LEDSLED said:
Check out the prices....new Kaw ZX-9 is 9500-10,000$...new Kaw ZRX1200 is 8200$..same as some of the 600s...I think 8200$ for a sporty 1200 is a great price....Yamaha has a new 1000 out and Suzuki makes the 1200 Bandit....both are great for big dudes.....and make lots of power....just a suggestion.
Are the ZRX's that much? The 2001 Bandit 1200S is $7350 and the much hotter FZ1 is supposed to be around $8500. If these are too pricey I suggest a used ZX9 for a guy your size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts