Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've become bored with the straight-line high speed runs 140-170and hadfun at Sunshine Speedway1/8th drag several times but decided its time to concentrate on something else....those unsightly chicken stripes I allowed to form on the 207's.I bought Twist of the Wrist 2 a month ago and implementing some of it has helped.but Ive been going to PattersonRd (close to 30 turns-out and back course in a rural area w/good pavement . the guys i rode with belong to a local stunt team.We go mostly at night and this last time I actually stayed with them .I had her leaned WAY over withthe gas on ,what a blast!One more 1/4 inch to go (on the edge of rear tire) and those embarrasing stripes will be gone.BTW I don't claim to be good at anything.. and no I have'nt arrived. Its just a personal milestone. riding only 6.5 months=6782miles ps I appreciate the wealth of info contained and opinions expressed atSBW even if I dissagree(Iwont mention any names bikenut he he)I really have made a few friends and thats the greatest part about SBW

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
blackkaw said:
I've become bored with the straight-line high speed runs 140-170and hadfun at Sunshine Speedway1/8th drag several times but decided its time to concentrate on something else....those unsightly chicken stripes I allowed to form on the 207's.I bought Twist of the Wrist 2 a month ago and implementing some of it has helped.but Ive been going to PattersonRd (close to 30 turns-out and back course in a rural area w/good pavement . the guys i rode with belong to a local stunt team.We go mostly at night and this last time I actually stayed with them .I had her leaned WAY over withthe gas on ,what a blast!One more 1/4 inch to go (on the edge of rear tire) and those embarrasing stripes will be gone.BTW I don't claim to be good at anything.. and no I have'nt arrived. Its just a personal milestone. riding only 6.5 months=6782miles ps I appreciate the wealth of info contained and opinions expressed atSBW even if I dissagree(Iwont mention any names bikenut he he)I really have made a few friends and thats the greatest part about SBW
You guys do this a night:eek: I'm in the same situation, trust the bike, it'll do what ya want to. I don't drag knees, and I don't have any chicken/sissy strips, but then some bikes handle differently, so depending on the bike, the strips, are meaningless:D Just keep practicing, and the fast riders here will, help ya out. I've learned a ton of stuff from them, and will take this oppertunity, to thanks all ya:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer to go in daytime but dont push as hard when riding alone and wont go alone at nite. there are no street lites at all its rural.yesterday I went out there and saw firetruck stopped with lites flashing. Pickup truck was upside down in the field. theres always less traffic at nite.racoons and possums can be a problem :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
blackkaw said:
I prefer to go in daytime but dont push as hard when riding alone and wont go alone at nite. there are no street lites at all its rural.yesterday I went out there and saw firetruck stopped with lites flashing. Pickup truck was upside down in the field. theres always less traffic at nite.racoons and possums can be a problem :eek:
Yeah, I'd make it a point to ride in the daytime. What really helped me was to watch the fast guy's, and use their lines, and if they are willing, they may just ride slower in front, and behind ya, to give some helpful tips. The best thing I would recomend, and if nothing else, RELAX, when your tense, it translates to the whole bike, and upsets the natural handeling of it. I have this problem, in downhill right handers, once I relax, and let the bike do the work, I'm much faster, and as important, smooth too, as in rolling the throttle on smoothly, braking, and shifting gears, and your weight. Sorry I can't offer up more info. to ya. Where the heck is Bikenut, Mongrol, AZ, and all the others? These are the guy's that can really help ya.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you're getting into what these bikes are really good for! Just take it steady and practice that technique. Remember, at no time should you be scaring yourself and if you find that happening... slow down. With a lot of practice, all of those techniques will become second nature and the speed will have taken care of itself. Then get yourself up north to some of the mountain roads.:) You'll have some major fun!:D

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Amen to that Griff!

Blakkaw, I admit, that is the first thing I look at when I check a bike out, but it doesn't really mean anything. 85% of the people around here have chicken strips. Give it time, it will happen automatically after some practice and time riding. Just don't push it all at once. It will happen eventually.
I don't know how you can go and try to lean over that far and go that fast in the dark. Scares the $hit out of me when I can't see ahead of me!

P

·
0 Posts
Griff said:
"Embarrasing chicken strips" ?

Who cares?

If youre worried about the appearance of your tires and youre worried about what people think, then you are riding for the wrong reasons.

Just RIDE.
Having a hard time getting rid of those strips, are you Griff? Just kidding!!! :D I totally agree with your statement.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also be aware that there is a difference between learning from the fast guys and getting in over your head. Don't try to keep up if you're getting too far beyond your limits. Keep the rubber side down! :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pete said:

Having a hard time getting rid of those strips, are you Griff? Just kidding!!! :D I totally agree with your statement.
Yeah Pete,
After this weekend, I can see why you would agree..:p ;) :D

I used to have problems with "cold tires" also...hehehe

P

·
0 Posts
Cam McFarland said:
Yeah Pete,
After this weekend, I can see why you would agree..:p ;) :D

I used to have problems with "cold tires" also...hehehe
Bite me, Cam. :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
qbclub13 said:

That was no come back Pete likes that kinky stuff :D
If you notice, I did not reply, because I did not want to egg him
on & get his hopes up....:eek: :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pete said:

Okay, then how's this one sound... Yo' momma!
Dont you be talkin 'bout my momma...!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts