Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out last night and saw a cop just hanging outside. I was curious what the top speed on a police cruiser was so I went to go talk to him. (this all stems from my buddy and I who liked to run down to our old college town and hang out and we figured if we could get some 'busas and do 200 the whole way it would only take little over an hour instead of 3.5, hehehe)

He told me he's been up to 130 in it, but it was scary as shit and very unstable so he backed down real fast. So I asked him what he does if he sees a bike running 90+ past him. He told me most cops he knows will just let it go and not bother with them. He said most bikes and most cops know that a cop car is NOT going to catch a bike so it's just a waste of their time.

My buddy asked him if there was any procedure for it and the cop told us no, that 90% of the time they just let bikes go and wish them luck that they don't become a grease spot. He said that IF they can get your license # they will just wait til they see you later and impound your bike as a vehicle used to commit a crime and you will have to pay $150 a day impound fee. But you won't be issued any tickets.

That reaffired my idea that if I am on the interstate or just not in town and a see a cop pass me and start to cross the median to give chase I'll probably open it up and see if I can make the next exit.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
vector4 said:
I was out last night and saw a cop just hanging outside.
So you guys hang-out at the donut shop?

Try this next time when you get pulled over for suspected DWI:

Cop: "your eyes look bloodshot, have you been drinking?"

Rider: "your eyes look glazed, have you been eating donuts?"

It's really fun, and the cop will get a real kick out of it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
In Atlanta m/c cops are allowed to ride whatever they care to furnish. I haven't seen one on a sportbike yet but i am sure it's coming. Keep in mind that if you run and they do start chasing you you may as well open your bankbook and start writing checks. Let's see Reckless Driving, Evading the police, Speeding (at likely double the limit), reckless endangerment, I'm sure you'll make a couple of illegal lane changes too.
personally i'll just pay the stupid fine and get the hell on. No speeding ticket is worth going to jail or losing your license.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I agree, in most situations I think I would just stop and not risk my life over it. But there is a road I ride twice a day that I have ridden very fast on and would be perfectly comfortable doing 130+ on. I think the idea is not to run from the cops per say, but rather be gone out of site by the time they make that u-turn. Im talking about open raod straightaways not traffic ridden highways with lots of weaving and dodging.

...just to clarrify that I'm not some crazy ass who would try to escape the cops down city streets in rush hour.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just bear in mind that most traffic violations are misdemeanors. You just pay a fine, get a couple of points against your license, maybe pay a little more for insurance, and go on about your life. Running from the police is a felony.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Before this gets carried away (because this has been a heated discussion before) remember that "To run or not to run" is a personal choice...its up to the individual rider to make it and no amount of "co-ercing" is going to change their mind to do it or not...

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
OK..I think you should run from the cops at every opportunity. Even if they aren't chasing you. It's a good idea. Every time you see one, just whack the throttle open.

·
Registered
48 Posts
.its up to the individual rider to make it and no amount of "co-ercing" is going to change their mind to do it or not...
I have to agree. I think it is a very situational thing. If I come speeding over a hill and a cop is coming toward me, but there is traffic so it might take a him a minute or two to turn around, I will try to be gone before I see the lights. But same situation and he turns the lights on right away and turns around, I will be taking my lumps.

P

·
0 Posts
GaBandit12 said:
OK..I think you should run from the cops at every opportunity. Even if they aren't chasing you. It's a good idea. Every time you see one, just whack the throttle open.
You forgot to add, "Hell, we're all gonna die, might as well do it in style!"

·
Squid
813 Posts
I got lucky yesterday. I had my speakers cranked to some static-X as I passed a cop parked in the True Value parking lot at 75 in a 35 zone. I didn't realize I was going that fast because I was getting into the tunes (needless to say I took the speakers out of my helmet and will only use them for long trips only)
I started to loose him in town by cutting through a Chevron at an intersection because of a red light and slipped into a housing area. I slowed down and then I seen him behind me and I was like "what the hell am I doing?” so I pull over even before his lights were on. He pulls up behind me flips his lights and walks up to me, as I'm fiddling with the remote to my mini-disc player, and wants my license for some reason :rolleyes: He gave me a warning!! I couldn't believe it. He didn't even mention the speeding, he was upset that I cut through private property to avoid a traffic signal and cutting corners through a neighborhood. So I guess it does pay to pull over.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK, so this happened yesterday. Driving down mullholland (IN L.A.) I was running down the canyon and just passed a ford explorer.. its a 55 MHP zone and I was doign about 70 (I had just passed him). I saw a CHP (for all you guys out of California its what John and Ponch were :) ). I see him hitting the brakes so I figured I would nail a bit. By that I mean I just wanted to go fast enough to get away, but not make it obvious I was trying to get away. I was riding about 90mph scanning to see if any were cops around. When I got to the light he pulls up behind me. Agian I was trying to maybe loose him, but not elude the police.

Sure enough I see about 4 cars from all directions casually passing us. I think trying to elude a cop (at least in L.A.) gets about a dozen on your tail + a chopper + about 5 TV stations, so its not really possible.

Long story short, he asks me how fast I was going I told him when I saw you officer, I looked down and it said 63, with the error of my spedometer, must have been about 61 which I know is over the limit...

He smiles and told me that I was pulling away from the explorer at twice its speed, and knows I passed him on a double yellow cuz I was about 300 ft ahead of him.

Oh well.. gave a warning, and asked me how fast the bike goes... I answered him, "just a bit faster than your patrol car" He laughed and drove off.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
There is a difference between avoiding the law and forcing a hot pursuit. IMO there is NEVER an excuse to force a hot pursuit because of a traffic violation. :(

Now turning down a side street or blending into traffic or the such might be a different story. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ducatis never blend in with traffic. That's a luxury? reserved for people who ride hondas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the lights are off

then it is more of a cat and mouse game, I think. Gets the adrenaline pumping and outwit the cop. But if the lights are on, better to stop and get ready to bend over and take it.:eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Marmite said:
I was riding Mullholland yesterday too. Didn't talk to any cops this time. ;)
Were you at the rock or up top.. This cop got me on the way to las virgenes heading towards the rock.. Oh well... this must be my lucky week, I got pulled over again.. lucked out agian, instead of wreckless endangerment (misdemenor, impound of vehicle and loss of license), I talked him down to doing 30 in a 25 zone... Oh well chalk one up for traffic school...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts