Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
linky
Entertaining vid. Shows what a sportbike can do.

You gotta love the way over-hyperbolized commentary.
Police watch in disbelief as the suspect barely squeezes between motorists... Unbelievably, he tries the insane move again... and again
All this being said as the guy splits between two cars with plenty of space.

·
Registered
515 Posts
yeah, as squidly as it sounds, if ur gonna split between a car and a semi u might wanna do it faster so u don't have to be inbetween them longer than necessary, but jeez, at that speed... :eek: I can't even imagine what would happen from the slightest error. I've seen the vid before, the dude doesn't rlly look like he's wearing any gear either, aside from possibly a helmet.

What someone needs to do is find all the police chase videos w/ people who successfully run away from the cops and air that. I know it sends the wrong message out to people, but the dude that comments on that show annoys the crap out of me w/ some of his comments and I feel he overstates police superiority to the point of being arrogant. That arrogant tone can be as annoying as Fran Drescher's voice... but not as bad as David Caruso and his retarded one liners.

:2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
What a dumb ass. Not that I advocate running from the cops, but if you are going to, use a few braincells. This guys escape plan seemed to have been "I'm going to go real fast".

Great, he's got the power to outruna crown vic. Now what?
First a heli top speed is around 140mph. But the can travel in streight lines, which means you cant really get away from it.
But that doesnt mean he cant loose one. A long tunnel, in which he can turn around would work great. As would getting close to an airport, where a heli cant follow. If all else fails just pull up to the local sportbike hangout. They cant really tell which is which.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vash: Look at it this way. He didn't go out riding that day to escape from the cops. It was an unplanned pursuit. A very likely situation that he was in was that he had incriminating evidence on him (like pot, or a suspended license, or something), and he just took a risk going out riding. When a cop tried to stop him (for whatever coincidential reason), he ran. Probably a spur-of-the-moment decision with no prior thought put into it. Now, he's on a bike... riding extra fast, knowing the cops are on his ass. I don't know about you, but I'd be nervous as shit! My brain would be in the fight-or-flight mode (flight, obviously), and no rational reasoning would be going on. Some people just do good under pressure, others don't. He probably just didn't.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Depending on how fast the vehicle-based officers could arrive, his strategy could have been to pull into a mall with a huge, multi-level covered parking deck. Put the motorcycle on the kickstand, toss the helmet in the garbage, and go shopping for new clothes! :D

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Something else just occured to me...how much did this pursuit cost the taxpayers in terms of multiple helicopter expense, officer salaries + overtime, vehicle wear, gasoline, and increased risk to public safety?

I don't know what his crime was...but it better have been murder, attempted murder, or something else pretty darn serious because I'm thinking we just witnessed about $10,000 being spent on this apprehension.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
lateott:
There are no planned persuits. No one wakes one morning and decides to run from the cops. Those things just happen. Once again, the best course of action is to stop. But since the guy made the decision to run for it, there is no reason he couldnt have made a better effort at it.

Bluey1: The large mall trick has been tried fairly recently. They found the guys bike, traced it to him, and he went to jail. I guess the real question is wether or not they had his plates (which he had no real way of knowing).

Bluey2: Trying to put a pricetag on all this is an exercise in politics. I can put enough indirect costs onto this expirience to come up with the national dept. For example count the crimes that could've been stopped if the officers were not involved in persuit. Count the labor lost by the people who got stuck in traffic due to this persuit. It makes for some pretty words, but its a bunch of crap if you ask my opinion. The heli was already in the air, and would've been patrolling anyway, so how can you count its gas and maintanance, Unless you go so far as to say that if people wouldnt break the law the city would not need a heli... but thats pretty thin...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Vash-

If a bad situation can be resolved by going shopping, it's a good thing! Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to have a mall being part of the solution. :eek:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
My oh my bluey, we dont often get to see that girly side of you. ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
The guy was running with a passenger!?!? Wonder if that person got away?

The guy should of went into the hospital and just sat in the waiting room reading a magazine. After ditching the helmet of course.

-M-

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
If I was being chased with a passenger on the back, I don't think I would have ran from the cops. Personally, I don't like traffic cops, but I respect them.

I got pulled over last week for doing a wheelie after doing a drag launch from a stop light. The wheelie was only 3 inches high and I was well below the speed limit. Well a cop coming from the other direction saw it, puts his lights on, and runs over the concrete median. It fucking scared the shit out of me. I gunned it and crossed 2 lanes of traffic to get to the nearest intersection as I was thinking to run from the cops, but at this point, it was 11pm and I have been up for almost 20 hours and piss tired. So I stopped and pulled over. 10 seconds later the cop comes barrelling in not expecting me to pull over. 30 seconds later, 2 more cop cars with their lights on turn onto the road.

This whole time I was pissed off, tired, and just wanted to get home. I just got off my 2nd job around 10.30pm and have to ride 15 miles back home. I kept thinking about the cop chase in florida where that dumbass of a cop in the camero jumps a concrete barrier and chased a motorcycle and dies. I was like... that motherfucker not only puts himself in danger when he did that, but puts other cars who he cuts in front in danger to! I personally think if a cop pulls over a motorcyclist and the motorcyclist stops immediately, then they should take it easy on them since they could have out run the cops easily. I just didn't want to take that risk.

And every fucking time I get stopped (I don't get stop for speeding, just minor traffic shit), they always ask if I've been drinking. Sure its just a question and usually they ask that to anyone, but come on. I'm on a fucking motorcycle. I feel insulted everytime they ask and I give them an evil look and not even respond to that question. Its like going to the queen of England and calling her a whore.

All the cops in Raleigh area are becoming so anal that I don't even feel like riding bikes or driving at all. They seem to have a personal grudge against bike riders all with the thinking that every traffic violation you do is committing murder. So what if I did a 3" wheelie from start, it may have been wreckless and endangerment, but so is every god damn driver out there with a cell phone. Get those fucking basturds who cut me off while talking to their long lost friend in Colorado. Traffic laws are silly.

*End rant*

·
Registered
515 Posts
mstrand_68 said:
The guy was running with a passenger!?!? Wonder if that person got away?

The guy should of went into the hospital and just sat in the waiting room reading a magazine. After ditching the helmet of course.

-M-
end of the video states that the passenger was also caught. I believe most hospitals have some security cameras where they can catch you entering and exiting the building. cops can just keep everyone from leaving until they compare footage from 'copter and hospital camera. and unless the bike was stolen, I think they can easily link the dumped bike to the rider.

i'm just over-analyzing something that shouldn't even happen... but if I were to steal a bike, I'd take it to a hospital I work at, dump it in an enclosed parking building, quickly switch out to scrubs, dump all the gear and try to blend in w/ my coworkers, and before all the cops close the place down, look for a nearby bus to bail out of the area. I'd still probably get caught, and then fired :twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Lost Nomad said:
I believe most hospitals have some security cameras where they can catch you entering and exiting the building. cops can just keep everyone from leaving until they compare footage from 'copter and hospital camera.
Wont work. Analyzing footage from several cameras will require hours if not days, not to mention the warrant that may be required to obtain the footage in the first place. And if you think they can really keep a hospital fool of people form leaving for hours....

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Actually, Blue Jays, a rider tried that trick of pulling into a mall, dumping his bike & aim was to changing clothing. Though I think he was still in the Mall shopping when the cops nailed him. That was around three yrs ago.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've got a question. I know it would be extremely dangerous for the rider, but are cops allowed to use spike strips on bikes? It would end up as a garenteed end of persuit, wreck or not, but is there a law the prevents it? And yea, the announcers always seem to exagerate these persuits. I would have atleast dumped my jacket when I was wondering around that hospital... it would have made it a bit more difficult to identify me.

Sepias

·
Registered
515 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
I've got a question. I know it would be extremely dangerous for the rider, but are cops allowed to use spike strips on bikes? It would end up as a garenteed end of persuit, wreck or not, but is there a law the prevents it? And yea, the announcers always seem to exagerate these persuits. I would have atleast dumped my jacket when I was wondering around that hospital... it would have made it a bit more difficult to identify me.

Sepias
I thought they had those spike strips now where the said spikes detach from the strip and act as needles to let air out until tire deflates instead of blowing out? I think that idea would be pretty damn dangerous... and in the sue-happy state of california, that rider may have a shot at becoming a millionaire if an officer tried that.

Vash - good point about the length of time it would take to compare videos, not too sure about the law, but I thought a warrant wasn't necessary if an officer asked and the hospital was willing to comply and hand over evidence? then you can just get a rough description from the eye in the sky and then compare that to people walking past a door camera at around the same time frame.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if the hospital agreed no warrant would be necessary. But they have their own policies that could very easily include something about not giving out info to protect their patients (or rather protect themselves from their patients)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Could also report the bike stolen the next day. Say you woke up and your bike was gone. That's if you got away. If it was my bike and I ran out of gas I sure as hell wouldn't just throw it down like that guy did. But I guess it would be more believable that it was someone who stole the bike if you did get away then reported it stolen...

-M-

·
Registered
14 Posts
He was very unlucky. Most police agencies are going non chase. It is to much of a danger to citizens. This is a prime example of why.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
[You gotta love the way over-hyperbolized commentary.
]
Yeah, that jackoff on the commentary always bugs me. In this case, he always makes it sound like it's inevitable that the sportbike is gonna get caught. I can tell you from experience, (back in my younger days), that is not the case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts