Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: HOLY COW! Okay... am I just that retarded that I don't remember this from years ago or what? I tightened my chain up and went just down the street and back (still trying to let my clavicle heal up) and WOW! Either I just haven't been on in a while and forgot what it was like or..... it seemed WAY more "snappy" to me! I mean... like a LOT more.

My question is.... will tightening a loose chain up really make that big of difference?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Probably just been a while.:) To me, a loose chain shows up in driveability issues but not in total acceleration. Shifting and off/on throttle transitions are where I feel a real difference. In lower gear tight twisty riding I think it really helps by keeping everything smooth.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I can tell the difference in take off and in shifting. Way smoother and quieter when the adjustment is correct. Also, I recently replaced the chain and sprockets. Man, it was like a new bike!

·
Registered
627 Posts
This is the same way it felt when I replaced my chain. The other was real sloppy & it suddenly felt like I picked up some extra ponies. The bike just felt quicker in the take off & midrange acceleration. Pulled wheelies easier too & I'm not that good @ 'em

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll vouch for that

I just put a new chain on and with all the excess slack taken out, feels like a new bike. No effort needed for wheelies, much quieter, shifts nicely. Too much slack=loss of power transfer. Whoever tells you different is wrong:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts