Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, of course, when you put a smaller sprocket on the front, the chain will have more slack in it. So you have to adjust the chain to compensate. Use the same figures listed in your owner's manual for the amount of slack.

If you adjust the axle all the way back, and there's still too much slack (unlikely with just a one-tooth change), then you'd have to cut one link out of the chain...

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I also read that because of the shortish swingarm on our RRs that more slack than usual was necessary. Don't take my word for gospel, just trying to contribute... :)

------------------
"We don't got any beers. We got tequila, it's like beer."

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just geared my 99'900rr does anyone know how much chain slack I should expect. Its a little looser than stock( By the I geared the front down 1 tooth) Any input would be very helpful thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the info. I hope the swingarm bit is true. Every time I try to tighten the slack up a little tight it ends up loose right after the first ride. I think it knows right where it wants to be. thanks for all the help guys.

------------------

·
Registered
582 Posts
You are doing one of two things...Either you are tightening the chain too much, or you aren't keeping it oiled properly...A chain should NOT stretch THAT easily/quickly...Even if you are whoopin on it...Jimmy G

------------------

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yellojacket:
Every time I try to tighten the slack up a little tight it ends up loose right after the first ride.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many miles on the chain? Sounds like you may need a new one.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uhhh, huh. Forgot to adjust your chain, didn't ya'?

;) ;) ;)

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I finally got smart and broke out the ruler to check exactly how much slack I have. Its still within specs. You are right (Jimmy G) I think I tightened it too tight at first But I think we are ok now. thanks for the help. later!! by the way my posts were repeative because I was having problems posting my memory really isnt that short... or is it ????

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts