Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got my new chain and sprockets and it has a rivet type masterlink. Is there anyway to get around buying the tool, such as using a clamp to pop the link together or a hammer or something ghetto like that?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You need to get a tool to break the links on the chain off, and another tool to re-rivet the chain back on. You can get away with getting the clip-on type links of which you don't need a tool to put on, but are weaker then rivet types. You still need to get the tool to take the links off. If you ghetto is and use a hammer, you may damage the other links around the master link.

Here's a set of tools for it
http://cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_15-0122

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chain already has the correct number of links for the configuration, it looks like their riveting tool is just a c-clamp.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It basically is a c-clamp, but it has a pin that mushrooms the pins on the chain. If you do not have the tool but have the correct number of links you can just use a clip link instead. It's not supposed to be as strong as the rivet link but I have used tons of them and had no problems. For extra security you could allways wrap and twist a piece of stainless safety wire around the clip part of the link... That's what I do anyway. You could get away with not buying the tool if you are going to use the clip link. Technically you are still supposed to use the tool to press the link together before you clip it, but you could get away with a clamp if you just need to do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts