Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On average how many miles do you guys/gals get out of a new chain? and does wd-40 hurt a stock chain in cleaning it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yellojacket (edited August 31, 2000).]

G

·
Hey YJ,it is a good idea to keep your chain lubed,clean and adjusted for max life.I use PJ1 chain lube about every 400-500 miles.It works as a good cleaner/lube all in one.There is 4-5" of exposed chain just before it hits the rear sprocket,if you run a bead of lube along the top of the inside and outside plates and then run a rag over the just lubed area(I use some gardening gloves to protect my hands) it will remove the dirt and excess lube at the same time.I always do this while the chain is hot/warm,this helps the lube seep into the o-rings.You don't have a center stand so this really turns into a chore....might want to get a shop stand. On my old bike,a 93 1000F,I put over 40,000 miles on 2 chains....the original and then a Tsubaki.Most riders should get 15,000-20,000 miles out of a good o-ring chain,this will decrease if you do a lot of wheelies or blow off chain lubes and adjustments.I recommend changing out the front and rear sprockets when you replace the chain.Oh yea...and never EVER clean/lube the chain with the bike running and in gear on a stand.....it's a sure way to lose some fingers.

------------------
xxman

[This message has been edited by wtempleton (edited September 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by wtempleton (edited September 06, 2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts