Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do most of you guys use to clean your chain? I read you can soak it in diesel and then air dry it, but are there any other good ways of doing it? Also, my rear sprocket has some noticable wear on some teeth. The thing is that the wear is on the side of the teeth. Whenever my bike on the stand, I also noticed that the chain has some definite left and right movement that shouldn't be there. It's not immediatly noticable, but it's definetly there and bothers me. Should I just get the rear sprocket replaced or could there be something wrong with the wheel?

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Your wheels sound like it is out of alignment. I'd replace the sprokets and possible the chain. I use WD40 and chain wax.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are you the original owner of the bike? It sounds like the chain and sprocket are 2 different sizes. You can use kerosene or WD40 to clean the chain. I use WD40 on my chain every week or about every 2 tanks of gas and then on Sunday night when I get home from a long days ride. This set-up has worked just fine for my new chain. Had it just over a month now, and I have not had to adjust it, yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the bike used with 11000 miles on it. The chain or sprocket have never been replaced by the original owner (don't even know if he cleaned it). I am most likely going to get a new chain and sprocket within this month just because it makes me a little nervous knowing that the chain moves side to side. How do I check if my rear wheel is in alignment? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but I am pretty new to this :(

Hermann

·
Registered
367 Posts
What kind of bike do you have? Does it have a centerstand? I see that you live in TX., too, what city do you live in? I'm from San Antonio. Alignment of the rear wheel is not rocket science, but it is harder than it should be. Depending on the bike, you can measure the side of the wheel to the swingarm(on both sides). A bike with a single side arm can not have a crooked alignment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ride a used 1996 Katana 750. It has a centerstand. Right now I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (City of Hurst to be exact)but I it's likely that I'll be moving into the Austin area next summer to go to UT. I've put up the bike for today because it started raining pretty hard. I'll check the alignment tomorrow to see if that's the problem. If the wheel is out of alignment, how do I realign it? Do I have to go to a shop to get that done? The tread on the tire is showing some signs of wear as well, so would it be more cost efficient to just get a whole new tire? Thanks for the help/advice. :cool:

Hermann

·
Registered
367 Posts
If the wheel is out of alignment, then you will have to get a new wheel. If the wheel/swingarm measurements are off on both sides then you just need to use the chain adjusters on the end of the swingarm and adjust accordingly.

If you talk to some Texas Sport Bike Association members in DFW area, they will be able to help you and you can go ride with them on weekends, too. http://www.tsba.org

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I measured the alignment of the wheel just like you said and nothing is wrong with it. I think that the rear sprocket may be a little bent and that's why there's wear on only some of the teeth rather than all of them.

Thanks for the link too. I'll check out one of the meetings as soon as I get my bike back together.

Hermann

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Could be. Do you have a football? I remember someone talking about their front rotor not to long ago being bent just by a football hiting it, maybe something similar happend to your bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were they trying to catch it while riding? :D

When I got the bike it had scratches on the left fairing from being dumped. The damage could've resulted from that somehow. Didn't think it would be very easy to bend one of those though.

Hermann

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
No, they had a friend who was playing catch with it and the bike doesn't play well with others (I think it was a Katana!). So it just stood there while this "buddy" tried to bounce the ball off the front tire. Or something like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts