Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To adjust the chain on my bike do I just loosen the bolts on the swingarm and then slide the wheel and everything back to tighten the chain? Thanks!

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

·
Registered
133 Posts
you should look in your owner's manual for all the info you need to adjust the chain slack. it'll spec the axle nut torque, which is critical. use a good torque wrench.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is right out of the manual..

1. Rotate wheel until chain is positioned with the least amount of slack present.

2. Remove cotter pin and loosen axle nut.

3. Loosen and back off the lock nuts on the adjuster bolts. These should be on the very end of the swingarm.

4. Turn the axle adjusting nut on both sides of the swingarm (Lefty Loosey--Righty Tighty) until the proper amount of tension is obtained.(O.8" to 1.2" or 20 mm to 30 mm of deflection on the bottom side pushing up) Shoot for about an inch. Be sure to adjust the nuts evenly to keep the rear wheel in alignment.If the adjusting bolts reach the end of their travel--replace your chain and sprockets. It's wore out.

4.Tighten the axle nut to 77 ft.lbs. of torque, that is spec for your year. (very important...If you don't have a torque wrench...Get One!) and install a NEW cotter pin.

5. Spin the wheel several times and recheck the tension. If it's not right.. do it again.

This info came out of my Haynes service manual and covers
all FZR's up to 1996.
The specs are pretty much all the same on all the 600's, so I don't imagine they would be any different on the 97', BUT you should get a manual for your bike. It is an invaluable tool for only about $20. and will give you more info than you could ever use.

:) Good Luck :)

------------------
Dave fzR1

"When I grow up.. I wanna be a SQUIIIID"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to get the service manual because I know how much of a help they can be, but when I ordered one from the dealer it was on backorder. That was at the beginning of summer. I had to move back to school at the end of summer, so I cancelled my order as the manual still wasn't in. Where can you buy them? thanks for the info too, unfortunaltely I don't have the torque wrench and stuff here at school with me. It is all at home, so it will be a while before I can adjust it. Are there any dangers of having a little extra slack in the chain for a while?

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hethj7:
I want to get the service manual because I know how much of a help they can be, but when I ordered one from the dealer it was on backorder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to try this site for your mannual. http://www.motocom.com

------------------
John

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the website, but they don't carry it either. I think I will just have to order from a dealer.

Also, what am I hurting by riding with extra slack in the chain? ( I know it isn't good, but it may be a while before I can get it adjusted)

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hethj7:

Also, what am I hurting by riding with extra slack in the chain? ( I know it isn't good, but it may be a while before I can get it adjusted)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To answer your question: extra wear/tear to the chain and sprockets. Is there not a bike shop you can drop by and have them do it for you? Depending on how much slack and how much hard riding you are doing while it is loose, it might be worth the cost of having a shop do it in the long run.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a shope around but I hate messing with them. I just paid them 52 bucks to change my oil...what a ripoff. And now I am leaking oil. I just like to do stuff myself. I do all the work on my mustang, but just haven't learned enough about my bike yet to be tearing it apart. I may go ahead and price having a shop do it for me though. Mainly I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be thrown off the bike or something crazy like that with it having slack.

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hethj... a friend of mine just bought a 1987 GSXR 1100 and he ordered a manual from www.amazon.com they had one where no one else did! Maybe that's worth a shot! Good luck!

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
www.joe4speed.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts