Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
This has been known already by riders for years, since we are the only ones besides cops that actually notice whats happening on the roads. Atleast now, there's an actual study done on it. I'll print it out, keep it with me in my wallet at all times and when I get pulled over and complain about the cell phone drivers being worse then drunks. I'll have evidence to back it up if the cop doesn't agree.

Btw, Myth Busters proved it as well recently.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
They just need to pass a friggin law on this crap already. I yell at everyone in my family for talking on the phone while driving, but it isn't enough. Mabey a law would help.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
yeah, I'm suprised that there's little difference with hands free systems then talking normally on the cell phone.

For me, I never talk on the cell phone when driving. If it's important, they'll leave a message or call back later. If the same person is calling me 2 or more times, then I'll pull over and call them. If I'm in a bad mood, I'd just turn off the cell phone.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Same here. I have also been known to crank my music really loud, answer long enough for them to kill their ear drums, then hand back up:D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I pissed off a cell phone driver yesterday when I got off work. Saw her in my rear view mirror as she was weaving between cars and speeding. I guned it a bit to get in front of her and then paced the car next to me at the speed limit. Haha, man, she was pissed off for 15 mins.

And the funny thing is that she also drives an 03 acura TL. I think I taught her a valuable lesson... I'd say since I bought this car last month, I find myself driving the speed limit since I'll have more time to listen to my music and relax with the comfy leather seats. I could drive down to Florida right now and actually enjoy the 12 hour drive.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I enjoy nice drives in my 99' protege with the leaking sun roof to:D Kenwood system with my Ipod hooked up to it. Cheap seats with ciggarette burns, smelling of mold and stains all over... I love it... Its like an old shoe, it may not look pretty, smell funky, and not be able to run like it use to... but its just adapted to my lifestyle:twofinger

·
Registered
322 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
They just need to pass a friggin law on this crap already. I yell at everyone in my family for talking on the phone while driving, but it isn't enough. Mabey a law would help.
They did! Problem is, its local, only in Detroit. Its a 500 dollar fine if ticketed for use of a cell phone while driving. The offense is, "failure to use both hands on the wheel". Hahah! I know about 6 detroit cops, and they all told me the same thing.

If you fail to use both hands on the wheel while using a cell phone, 500 bucks. No deals. :thumb:

·
Registered
322 Posts
JBaz said:
^I believe a few states also have it. Not sure which ones.
Very true. I was just talking about Michigan. I would imagine other cities have it throughout the state, but Im not sure. I only know of Detroit. They should install devices in new cars that retard the cell phone signal while in the car. You have to get out of the vehicle and step 10 feet away or so to use your phone. THAT would be sweet. We should petition for that. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I don't know that I would go so far as to block cell phone signals in cars. I know I wouldn't want to have to make a phone call out in the FL heat. I just sit in my parked car to make it. I like the $500 fine though.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
safety tip for DD's

Keep a cell phone in your glove box with a full charged battery even if the cell phone has been deactivated by the provider. All deactivated phones, provided they still can get a signal, should be able to work to call 911. Government mandated this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The easy solution to a cell phone user who pisses you off if they have a window down is just to pace them in the lowest practical gear so they cant hear dick on the other end of the conversation.:thumb:

·
Registered
892 Posts
i believe they just put that law to be voted on in california recently, or maybe it was just L.A. not sure. It has been voted on before and got shot down.

I also ride in a low gear beside ppl on cell's :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well, yeah. But then theres always that risk of the ass swerving towards you in a fit or rage since they cant hear thier conversation. I mean, not hitting you, but scaring the shit out of you no less...

I just dont trust anyone in a car, period. Especially when im on my bike.

·
Registered
295 Posts
well when im driving the car i use my cell phone, i dont care never been in a wreck, can handle talking on the phone but thats just me.

·
Registered
892 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
well when im driving the car i use my cell phone, i dont care never been in a wreck, can handle talking on the phone but thats just me.
I dont have a problem if they are on a hands free thing, i just got a beef when they are using their hand to hold the phone. when they do that they usually dont use signals cause there to lazy.

The "i dont care" attitude is not what we need on the road. Everyone thinks there great drivers when holding cell phones, drunks think there fine to drive when they get into the car too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts