Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after thinking about it for just over a year I finally picked up a XD sub compact 9mm. I'm looking for a good ccw class. I don't want no fly by night class. I want something in depth. Also a good advanced class.

Thanks
Mike

Oh I hear Pete's indoor range does a bowling pin shooting night on Thursdays!! Sounds like a good time

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well after thinking about it for just over a year I finally picked up a XD sub compact 9mm. I'm looking for a good ccw class. I don't want no fly by night class. I want something in depth. Also a good advanced class.

Thanks
Mike

Oh I hear Pete's indoor range does a bowling pin shooting night on Thursdays!! Sounds like a good time

Hey Mike,

I know it might be a bit out of the way for you, but I know of a great place out here in Westland that has a great class. The name of the place is Firing Line. Just do a google search or yahoo search, and you will find them.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Doesn't RedZ put a class on? I think he is an instructor. I'm not sure on the breadth and depth of the class, but he would be a guy to call for a deal. I took mine with Simon a few years back. Great class!

It seems like most of the classes are set up the same...classroom time with an Attorney then range time.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Thanks
Mike

congrats on the XD! i have the XD.40 and LOVE it. was thinking about picking up an XD45 too just cuz i like it so much

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I actually took my class through a gentleman named Rob Reed. Rob actually posted on this forum a while back, and runs a pretty good one day class. He does the range portion in Roseville.

Robs business is called SWAT academy. Sorry, don't have his number handy.

I think Firing Line runs a more in depth class, and goes more into defensive shooting. I believe it is actually a two day class. I am taking their personal protection series of classes, and they are awesome. Their range is the nicest indoor gun range I have been to.

I am currently carrying the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm. 1500 rounds through it and not a single jam, even with re-loads.

Jon

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I actually took my class through a gentleman named Rob Reed. Rob actually posted on this forum a while back, and runs a pretty good one day class. He does the range portion in Roseville.

I think Firing Line runs a more in depth class, and goes more into defensive shooting. I believe it is actually a two day class. I am taking their personal protection series of classes, and they are awesome. Their range is the nicest indoor gun range I have been to.

I am currently carrying the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm. 1500 rounds through it and not a single jam, even with re-loads.

Jon
He must have been Simon's (aka Aus) partner. A bunch of us took the class through him

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't RedZ put a class on? I think he is an instructor. I'm not sure on the breadth and depth of the class, but he would be a guy to call for a deal. I took mine with Simon a few years back. Great class!

It seems like most of the classes are set up the same...classroom time with an Attorney then range time.
Yeah I still have my PM's from Aus from last year. He gave me a lot of good info.

Flip I'll let you know what I find out on classes.

Glad to hear you guys have enjoyed your XD's. They guy i bought it from has a brand new never fired S&W M&P .40 he's selling too. He's wants $400 for it

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Jon

Thanks Jon. Simon told me to call Rob but gave me a (248) number. I'll try that number and also do a search for business.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am also interested in getting mine speed so let me know when you find one maybe i can tag along i think jgreen was interested also!
Hey Flip I'm going to go to Rob's class in about a month. How's that work for you? I need to go shoot some paper before I take a class. OH Wal-Mart was Winchester 100 round box of 9mm for $18. and some change.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
When I took robs class in January, it was $110.00 with an additional $50 for gun rental. He brings a variety of guns to shoot. If you have your own gun, you obviously don't need to use his, but I am sure he will let you try one if you want.

Its a good overall class, and the lawyer that comes in also carries a weapon.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Talked to Rob today. His next class is Saturday May 10th at the Novi Gander Moutain http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/storedetail.asp_Q_store_id_E_74 .
Class starts at 9am. After the class room session you have to go out to Roseville to Peter's indoor gun range for the shooting part. Rob said the class usually runs till about 7-7:30. You can contact Rob at [email protected] or (248)961-2300 You'll need to call and confirm your spot for the class and send him a deposit. You'll need a gun and a 100 rounds of factory(no reloads) ammo for the class. If you don't have a gun Rob can rent you one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

I'm still running CCW classes and I offer a discount for Redline members and immediate family.

I do one class a month at the Novi Gander Mountain with the range time at Peter's Gun Range in Roseville. The class runs from 9 a.m. till about 7:30 p.m.

It's a one-day class as I've found that's what most students want.

My next two classes at the Novi Gander Mountain are:

Saturday, May 10
Saturday, June 7
(I don't have a July class this year due to schedule conflicts)

I also run classes at Capitol City Rifle Club in Williamston. That's an outdoor range, so we can do some drills there we can't do at the indoor range.

My next CCW class at CCRC is Saturday, May 3, from 8:45 a.m. to about 6 p.m.
(The shorter time is because classroom & range are at the same location)

I also have an Advanced Defensive Pistol class coming up on Saturday, May 17, from 8:45 to 5 p.m. Cost is $125.

The Advanced Defensive Pistol class is all range work, no classroom, and is designed for the CCW holder. We'll cover drawing from the holster, drawing from concealment, trigger reset for faster shots, drawing & shooting while moving away from the attacker, malfunction drills, "Shoot or no shoot" drills, multiple targets, and some surprises!

The Advanced Defensive Pistol class is also at CCRC in Williamston.

To sign up, E-mail me at [email protected] or call me at (248)961-2300

Rob Reed
Swat Academy
NRA Certified Instructor
SigArms Academy Certified Instructor
Graduate, LFI-1 & LFI-2

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You can't go wrong with one of Rob's classes. You will learn alot and all the legal ins and outs in the first CPL class.

Those of you who already have your CPL should really think about taking Rob's second class.

As we always try to impart to students, tons of practice and continuing training are vital to keep up one's skills.
Just in case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts