Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that a Buell Firebolt produces 104 Horspower, yet has a 1200 cc engine

while a 600cc GSXR or Ninja produces around 100 HP?

Im sure its because of the enigne type, but can someone explain why this is? would the buell have the same top speed/ acceleration as the Gixxer and the ninja?

just curious about the engine and performace diffrence......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
Its a pretty long subject, but the difference are inline Vs. twin, DOHC vs pushrod, 4 valves vs 2, oversquared vs undersquared.


But most importantly its a harley vs suzuki difference.

No a buell isnt going to have the top speed or the acceleration of any of the big 4's. But its still a damn fast bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
The buell will have more torque, and prob accelerate harder through mid second gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
izzybo69 said:
The buell will have more torque, and prob accelerate harder through mid second gear.
It'll have considerably more power than a 600 in the whole of the buells power band (red line at about 6krpm?) The 600 wont have anything at all below 4k. The buell will pull from 1200. But the 600 will keep on climbing all the way to 15k rpm. Up in the band it will be a mad screaming bitch

Edited for spelling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
izzybo69 said:
The buell will have more torque, and prob accelerate harder through mid second gear.

Yes and No....The way the Buell pulls through the first three gears is pretty violent. On the other hand I would think most bikes are able to have a much quicker yet smoother pull though the power band. I think some of it has to do with Buells 5speed vs most 6 speeds.

For instance:Most repli-racer 600's will be barely ahead at about 60mph..After that the Buell is quickly left behind. At WOT I run through my first 2 gears really qucikly. I often bounce of the rev limit if I'm not carefull. Then again with a pretty flat torque curve I don't have to be very selective in what gear I run in at low speeds.

For that reason alone I prefer a twin (not just a 45 twin) for my daily riding. When most of my daily riding is at 35mph on city streets it's nice to have quick pull in most gears with out really reving the motor. Hell, if the RC51 fit me better I would own one right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
treyZ28 said:
its like comparing an F1 car to a ford taurus
More like comparing an old Muscle car to a turbo Supra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
phatkidwit1eye said:
More like comparing an old Muscle car to a turbo Supra.
I'm confused, which is which?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
lol, I was confused too, but I just didn't ask.

I suppose muscle car is being referred to twins and since supra is an inline 6, it could be referred to inline bikes. however, I don't see how it could be analogous to bikes. good muscle cars run about 12 secs stock or minor mods, while twin turbo supra run about 13s. where as 4 cylinder bikes are faster than an equally displaced twin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
lol, I was confused too, but I just didn't ask.

I suppose muscle car is being referred to twins and since supra is an inline 6, it could be referred to inline bikes. however, I don't see how it could be analogous to bikes. good muscle cars run about 12 secs stock or minor mods, while twin turbo supra run about 13s. where as 4 cylinder bikes are faster than an equally displaced twin.
this is why i said F1 vs something like a camry

one is super-race tuned. the other is not.

why does the 3 liter F1 car make 800hp while the camry makes 200.

once is a more specialized, race tuned, more expensive engine.

go compare an SV to a GSXR and you will see why one is a balls to the wall sport bike and the other is not just by looking at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
You are correct, my comparison was wrong. I was trying to draw on the differences between a pushrod motor and a overhead cam.


Funny, I always thought turbo supras where faster then that in the 1/4 mile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
phatkidwit1eye said:
Funny, I always thought turbo supras where faster then that in the 1/4 mile.
Skyline GTRs (R32-R34), 300ZX TT, Supra TT, and 300GT VR-4, they all run about low to high to 13s I think, stock for stock with best launch and tires. I heard of the new EVOs and WRX Sti are breaking about high 12s stock. 350Z and RX-8 are slower.

What makes them faster than muscle cars is basically overall performace, throw in a few curves, and they're outhandling muscle cars and getting out quicker.

Sorry for leading offtopic, but I own a Z, so I couldn't pass it up. :D

Kinda funny, the best of the group are only fast as a SV. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
Skyline GTRs (R32-R34), 300ZX TT, Supra TT, and 300GT VR-4, they all run about low to high to 13s I think, stock for stock with best launch and tires. I heard of the new EVOs and WRX Sti are breaking about high 12s stock. 350Z and RX-8 are slower.

What makes them faster than muscle cars is basically overall performace, throw in a few curves, and they're outhandling muscle cars and getting out quicker.

Sorry for leading offtopic, but I own a Z, so I couldn't pass it up. :D

Kinda funny, the best of the group are only fast as a SV. :p
RX8 is slow as hell.
a 350 Z would have its hands full with someting like an SLP WS6 which is the same price range.
The STi/EVO would probobly take them all on a track, depending how tight it was.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top