Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that sportbikes cannot be operated at speeds such as 30mph for extended periods of time or they will overheat...because they are designed to operate at high speeds? This sounds like bullshit to me so can someone with experience give me some insight on this? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
no problem with a bike overheating if your rad is clear there is enough water in the rad and your fan works
ive bin cought in traficjams a few times(to many cops to split) and never had my 900RR overheating

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
they can run VERY hot in the city (stop and go). if they have air running through the radiator, they're fine.

my gsxr will hit like 238* F and an r1 i rode in fayetteville hit 242 F in fort bragg traffic. my 400 goes 100* C after i pull into the pits.

it's normal, don't worry. they run hot in city driving. on the other hand, harley's will get into serious trouble putting around because they don't get air to the back cylinder.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
1000cc twins are the worst but they do fine when the fan is running. They do get hot but like a car, as long as everything is working, they will survive. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
No problems with mine so far, but there were a number of stories about Triumph TT600 heating up due to the small (so they claimed) radiator. I think all bikes can run hot in stop and go traffic, but I haven't heard of any disaster stories because of it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
WINJB (well I'm not John, but...) my RC51 will hit 220 deg F, which is when the fan kicks in. It climbs all the way up there very nicely whenever at idle at a standstill. I never pay attention to the water temp while riding - I won't worry about it unless the water over-temp bulb lights up (which has never happened so far). The display for water temp is shared by the odo and the trip odo, and I keep it on the trip odo to monitor fuel level. When moving, the fan stays off, so I can only assume that the temp stays below 220 F. I've heard that the RC51 engine was designed to run a bit on the high side. During track days and races, it's important to keep the instrument display set to water temp. Can get hot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
overheating in traffic

My XX overheats if I get stuck in traffic and I don't like it. So what I did was wire in a toggle switch like the guys have been saying here. On the XX it's real easy to do. There's a fan relay under the seat. The computer turns this thing on so the fan will run. The problem with that is that it turns it on my bike at 215 degrees. In the summer that's just way too late. It won't cool it down worth a darn unless it's moving. It you splice (solder it in) a wire on the green wire to the relay, and a black wire. mount the switch somewhere up near the controls, and run both wires up to it.
Now when you turn the switch on it completes the circuit in the fan relay and if the key's on the fan runs. Simple as that. The computer doesn't know that the fans on and it don't care. When the switch is off the circuit is still operational by the computer and will work that way too. When I come up to a stop light and am waiting or get stuck in a traffic slow down I just flip the switch,even if the temp gauge reads 177 degrees it comes on. Now the bike stays about 185 degrees. It will stay under 200 for quite awhile, so that's about as good as it gets. Works for me.

Silverbird

1 - 11 of 11 Posts