Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing that after riding my 954 a little while, when the temp gets to about 185 degrees, the frame and lower part of the fuel tank cover get hot.

Problem is, when I say hot, I mean HOT!!! I can only squeeze the bike with my legs for so long before being burned. Took the bike in yesterday for my 600 initial service and the service guy said it was the sun. Funny, I leave the thing parked in a parking lot all day in the sun and it's cool to the touch and doesn't even start to get warm until around 180 engine temp.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have ideas on how to rectify it. Dealer is not working with me at all on this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hotness

Yea, I have a F4i and there is a lot of heat generated from this engine that comes out from underneath the seat and onto the legs. Great during the winter but not so during the hotness of summer here in CA. Granted they are not the same bike but numerous magazines had observed the same problems from both the F4i and 954RR. It isn't a serious problem, nor does it cause any damage to the bike. It just is a nuisance in that Honda can't figure this out when the other three rocket manufacturers don't have the same problem. I just deal with it. It's tough though.

Noel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the link. I also had a 2002 600F4i but never noticed the heat like I am with this one. Think for the heck of it I'm going to locate one of those laser thermometers and take a reading. Nothing like taking off the pants and having bright red skin inside the legs!

But I DO LOVE THE BIKE!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
i've noticed the frame get a little warm but not to the point that i would get burned.are you guys wearing shorts or something?it's july!!!if your bike and seat don't get hot sitting in the parking lot it must be raining.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wearing jeans and sometimes riding pants. I never wear shorts on the bike, especially since my last crash. Jeans, jacket, gloves and helmet allowed me to walk away with only a sore wrist. And yes, the seats do get hot but that's about it. Frame gets lukewarm. It's about 30 minutes into a ride when it gets really hot. But after checking into this more, I'm not the only one with the problem so I'll just have to deal with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hate to be the one to say it, but get used to it because it's not going to go away. My '96 VFR gets hot enough to take fingerprints off after a summer's day ride. That big fat alloy frame is acting as a huge heat sink, absorbing radiated heat from the engine. I have no appreciable experience with other manufacturer's sportbikes, so I don't know if this is a Honda idiosyncrasy or not, but every alloy-framed Honda sportbike I've ever ridden heated up the frame to the point you don't want to be touching it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean my XX gets hot the whole back end of it ! The only way I know of to cool it off it to get er back up to 70 mph. I've noticed that the insides of my thighs get pretty warm. Yeah I'm wearing either leathers or Levi's.

In fact when I come home after I shut her off I stand a large box fan up in front of the radiator and turn it on high. I leave it there until I can touch things without getting burned.

Guess I'll just have to live with it.

Silverbird.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Man this sucks to hear. Looks like the ZX-9 gains a point in new bike consideration.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
keep in mind though, I do really only ride in the desert most of the time.... so that doesn't help.... (central arizona.. some las vegas... and sometimes in LA)... and this is not something I would let bother you to the point of not buying honda..... just something I have noticed a couple of times when i went to switch my bike on to reserve, etc....... and pulled back a burnt stump instead of a hand!(just kidding) It's really not THAT bad....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hot Hot Hot

I have a 2000 VFR and you can cook a chicken with the heat that comes out from the rear cylinders - which are right at the thigh - even with leathers it gets bothersome but I never go hungry.
I'd like to think(hope) the problem with the 954 isn't that bad.

Keep Cool
:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts