Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Must be something the matter with the video for I see a rider on a redish bike, with redish leather, I feel might be a Honda CBR600, doing some nice laps on a circuits. No other bike, no other rider competiting, no lap times, etc. So what does one look upon as being the compairson?

Going way back in '97 in Cdn the Yamaha YZF600r and the YZF1000 was being tested on a road racing circuit. First bike riden was the 1000 & the next day it was the 600. Same chap testing both.

Still close to finish time he comes into the pits to point out he feels the suspension is probably out a bit on the 600. They point out to him he was lapping faster, on each lap, then the 1000. To that he said something like 'Okay so I guess I have been pushing the 600 to its maximum'

So can you compare that? At least in the Cycle Cdn report the rider on the 600 lapped faster then he did on the 1000. Still it is not a compairson for in reality the circuit could have been more to the preference to the 600 or weather better & such.

Still I will agree the Honda rider was riding good & nice to see the bike in action, but it is not a compairson to the Yamaha R1.

Note of my three bikes the Honda 929 & 954 dominate the older Yamaha YZF600r, in the garage, so I do not favour any make of bike.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It could also be a new rider VS a veteran. I know that I would get my ass handed to me by a veteran rider on a 500 if I was riding a 1k. If you look at the lines the R1 (blue bike) was making, he showed inexperience. Alot of his turns were much wider than the CBR altough the speeds through the turns were close to the same. Both were still great riders though, it just didn't look like the R1 was really putting it all out or even trying to let the throttle loose some on the straights.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Cool video! The camera angle made you feel like you were there. Are those plastic kneepucks one can occcasionally hear scraping on the audio portion? This is something I would love to try without anyone else on the track.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
892 Posts
ya we were obvioulsy riding with the 600, who is much better at the corners. i think if they had open road the 600 would pull better lap times. the R1 was good the the rider on the 600 was better.

did u see when the R1 look back and still saw the 600....priceless.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i cant see the vid :( but somthing to keep in mind depending on the track and such pretty much all 600's will own liter bikes as they can handle better, also you stay in your poweband more often

of course if there is alot of straightaways and such then this is where the liter bike would catch up

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Meat_Shield said:

did u see when the R1 look back and still saw the 600....priceless.
It's even more priceless when you do it on an EX-500.;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SkinnyJ said:
i cant see the vid :( but somthing to keep in mind depending on the track and such pretty much all 600's will own liter bikes as they can handle better, also you stay in your poweband more often

of course if there is alot of straightaways and such then this is where the liter bike would catch up
That's what happend in the vid, ultimate the literbike won by few bike lengths coming out of the corner, and then more so on the straightaways. But it was impressive to see the 600 pull on the R1 around the corner every time.

If there were longer straightaways in the track, R1 would win by long margin. If there were more tighter turns and chicanes, 600RR would've won marginally at the end.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smitty said:
Must be something the matter with the video for I see a rider on a redish bike, with redish leather, I feel might be a Honda CBR600, doing some nice laps on a circuits. No other bike, no other rider competiting, no lap times, etc. So what does one look upon as being the compairson?
The rider with the red leather is the R1 bike, and the rider recording his footage is on CBR600RR, thus holding a riding comparison.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I guess I got my bikes backwards lol. If that was the CBR in back then he did a damn good job riding. It looked like the 600 was infront to me, but I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh ok, not sure what you meant back there I guess. Current R1's have fat tail with dual exhaust, pretty easy to spot from a 600RR.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JBaz said:
mmm, Gotta love how 600RR's are so easy to flick from side to side.
Bike's handling is a tricky thing to figure unless you ride all of them yourself.

For example, it's apparent here than whatever year 600RR and R1 it is, 600 outhandled the 1000, and it's more than just rider skill.

But if you read some of the mag reviews, it'll say that the '05 ZX-10R is so good, it flicks faster than the '05 CBR600RR. But on this year literbike shootout, ZX-10R was one of the slowest to flick around, and R1 came to be number as far handling goes.

I seriously think most journos have stick up their assess, they take their job for granted, and probably gets some kind of promotional deal under the table to turn the tide one side over the other.

I have stopped believing in them, and the only reason I check out the reviews is just to get the stats and look at the pretty pictures, I don't accept their unreliable, inconsistent opinions for shit.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont think that either was a rider was a newb. What hurt the R1 a great deal is braking, not so much cornering. They carried even speed thru the corner (or pretty close) also the 600RR did hold a slightly better line. If the liter rider would get on the brakes later, there would be no video to watch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts