Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a Zongshen GS250. I found it cheap with nothing wrong with it, so I figured what the heck and got it. It was a great lil bike to learn on. However I out grew it fast. I am looking to trade up. I have been doing a lot of research. The sport bike of my choice is the yamaha fz6r. The supersport bike I like is the honda cbr600rr. I have read a lot of threads comparing each to other bikes in its respective class and these were the two that came out on top in my book. However I have never seen a thread comparing the two. The things I am interested in is riding position for a daily rider/ commuter, the amount of weight on your hands/ how quickly the numbness sets in. Most of the reviews call the fz6r a "beginner bike" I really dont want to outgrow another bike. Any thoughts? At the same time im not going to be taking the bike on the track, so im wondering if the cbr is too sporty for every day riding. Im not gonna be doing any wheelies, but I do want an extra speed boost and the power if I need it. Id like to know your thoughts. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
~Tyler

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Those are two great choices in bikes, but not as much of an apples to apples comparison. The FZ6R is more of a sport/standard with bodywork, and the CBR is a super sport, or race replica as they have been referred to.

If you are looking for more street use than track oriented riding, you might find the FZ6R a decent choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am leaning towards the fz6r, but what makes me nervous is that all the reviews I have read call it a beginner bike. I really dont want to buy another bike just to outgrow it in a short amount of time again.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Agree with Dan. If you're not really going to be carving canyons or ripping up the track, the more upright riding position of FZ6R is likely to suit your needs better.

Also, I'd like to throw out a bit of wisdom that is oft missed by new riders. In riders who have the right body positioning on a supersport, the numb hands issue is really very short-term as your wrists get used to the position and riding a sportbike in general. On a forward-leaning bike, you are being held up by your abs, legs, and back, NOT your wrists. You should be able to flop your elbows around, aka "chicken wing", with no impact to your position. Obviously this is lots of work which is why supersports aren't cross-country bikes :)

On a more standard seated bike like the FZ6R (I have one), that is a complete non-issue. And if my ZX-6R broke down at the track, I'd not hesitate to hop on the FZ6R to finish out the day. I hope that gives you some comfort as to the power and capability of the Yammy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts