Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a 2002 CBR600F4i. I have done several short and moderate lenght motorcycle trips on my 600. I am thinking about trading up to a 954 for use as a sport bike for sport riding and touring. Looking for advice on whether the larger bike would be as comfortable and any other experience anyone has with either of these two bikes. Thanks, Scott.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 F4 that I have taken 13,000 mile in two summers. The only complaint I have had is that above 8000 feet I have to keep the motor rev'd above 6500. It isn't hard, but I figure a liter bike won't require that. I am looking to buy a liter bike myself for sport touring. I may get a GSXR 1000.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have done quite a bit of toruing on my 929 and 954. I can't compare it to the F4i but I find my bikes are good for 600 mile plus days. My 01 tour took me over 6,100 miles in 14 days and my 02 tour took me over 5,200 miles in 14 days. Higher elevations do hurt the power a bit but with the 954 you still have plenty. If you are interested here's a link that will take you to some pictures. http://community.webshots.com/user/bornlucky

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dookie said:
Can a taller person fit on the 954? (6'4"???)
I don't get the question. Looks like you own a 954. Grab a tall guy. Put him on your motorcycle and ask him.

I apologize if I'm not understanding correctly.:confused:

By the way, I have a coworker that is about 6'3" and quite physically fit and he claims that it seems quite cramped. "Pegs are too close to my ass" I think were the words that he used when he was sitting on mine. Not sure that it has completely turned him off to rockets yet though. We were looking at one that was for sale after that and he seemed a bit interested.

The thing about bikes though, is that you buy the bike that you like the best and commence to change all the things on it that pop up and annoy you. Back in the day, I took my Sabre on a trip to NY. When I got back, the stock handlebars were replaced. Similarly, I replaced the handlebars on the 919 immediately. The 954 hasn't been touched...yet. The seat is on the verge of unbearable, at least for me. My "old" man has one as well and claims that it doesn't bother him at all.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Scott Carr said:
I currently ride a 2002 CBR600F4i. I have done several short and moderate lenght motorcycle trips on my 600. I am thinking about trading up to a 954 for use as a sport bike for sport riding and touring. Looking for advice on whether the larger bike would be as comfortable and any other experience anyone has with either of these two bikes. Thanks, Scott.
I just posted a thread that is very similar to this one on the new riders forum. I bought an 03 954RR a year ago and havent regretted it a bit. But, I dont think any sportbike is suitable for me as a tourer. The 954 has WAY more power than you will ever need for touring, to me its the seat and extreme body position that make it almost unbearable on long rides. Ive talked to people that said there is a remedy for the hard seat but I havent found one yet that suited my taste, then again I just started looking too. Ive rode my brothers CBR 600RR over the past year as well as my 954, the only major difference that Ive found is power. Compared to the 600 (F4I,RR, etc) the 54 is very torqy and just flat out faster. I dont know what the handeling differences are between the F4I and the 600RR but the 600RR and the 954RR seem to handle pretty much the same. There both very flickable and tend to dive into turns with little effort, those two things alone make them a winner in my book. I think you would be pleased with a 954RR, I have been since day one on mine, I just need a tourer thats a little more comfortable to go with it. ( Hayabusa ) Either way you go both honda's are winners! Take it easy and good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A Gixxer for Touring?? what about a VFR?? or ST1300 / FJR1300 or like me a ST1300 for commuting/touring and a F4i for fun in the twisties and not to long touring. For me anyway a Gixxer would be to scare the s**t out of myself but not comfortable sport/touring. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions but you asked.

·
Registered
610 Posts
the 954 is the best sport tourer of the 2..

i had a 954 and i loved it for long rides because of the low revs and such.. the 929 seems to set not as upright and it made it uncomfortable for me..

i would trade up if your looking to do alot of sportouring but the only thing is if you like your twisties... the bigger bike seems to be a little bit of a handfull when pushing the limits.. that is just my opinion.. thats why i just traded the 954 in for a 600rr but im not much into sport touring.. about 300 miles a day is all i do..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CBR600F4i to CBR954RR

I traded my CBR600F4i in on a new non-current CBR954RR. I made the trade in Sept 03 and it is now Jan 05. After putting on nearly 25,000km's I made the right decision. It is much easier to ride in lower rpms. It will roll on and overtake other vehicles without having to downshift like on the 600. It has much more torque and horsepower which I enjoy. I managed to get in one long trip last summmer of about 3000kms into Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec. Fantastic! The bike has performed flawlessly. Now all I have to do for the next riding season is a valve adjustment and put on the new Continental Road Attack tires. Can't wait for Spring!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread is getting old. I was the first responder with the CBR600 and last summer I put 8000+ miles on my GSXR1000. I installed Heli-bars on the bike and aftermarket lowered foot pegs which helped a lot. It is now more comfortable than the CBR was. I am 6'1" and weigh 230 in pretty good weightlifting shape. I am also 57 years old. I found the bike to be just the difference I was after. It handles even better than the CBR and has of course more torque. The power is good but not really scary. I don't have any tickets yet so you know I am not that fast on it although I can wheelie and stoppie with it. Oh yea! It gets 45-55 mpg on trips and I don't use it for much race riding since you have to be willing to go to jail to use the power in that range. I use soft luggage and have no desire to find another sport touring bike.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Depending on the distance, I would figure that most Honda sportbikes are comfortable up to about 500 miles per day without a passenger.

One might want to go with a high-quality aftermarket saddle and stop for a fresh cup of coffee every 100 miles, but it should certainly be "doable" for many in reasonable physical shape. I bring this up because the conditioning of the rider is probably the biggest factor in many of these questions. What do you think?

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Hi I have a decision between an 06 Cbr f4i with 12k on it or an 02 954rr with 22k on it I ride for fun. Any reccomendations
Track: 600
Street: 954

1 - 14 of 14 Posts