Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
According to the Honda manual its say my F3 requires 3.9 quarts if you change the filter with th oil. It says that it takes 4.4 quarts if the engine is disassembled. When I changed my oil I found that the dealer had used a Fram filter when the oil was changed. I used the recommended Honda filter and I let the oil drain for a couple hours to make sure I got all the old crap out. I am wondering if I really didn't get enough oil in there and if that could be causing some of the noise I am hearing that is apparently coming from the gearbox. Any ides???

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the difference should be from oil that will storaged in places that just don't drain. i think the f2 was 3.9 if changing filter, and 3.5 if not, or something like that.

i always bought emgo filters (fram had a problem a few years ago with the cover blowing off). i used a gallon of motul 3100 w/ every change, first filling the filter and spinning on.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, not a trick question. According to my manual there is no sight glass on the F3. Just the dipstick to check the oil with.

------------------

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're kidding! No Sight glass really? I hate those darn little plastic dipsticks... do you put the bike on the stand or straight up? Do you screw in the dipstick or not?

Good luck to you :)

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riverrunner_2000:
You're kidding! No Sight glass really? I hate those darn little plastic dipsticks... do you put the bike on the stand or straight up? Do you screw in the dipstick or not?

Good luck to you :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is actually a metal dipstick. To check the oil properly you have get the bike so it stands straight up. Then unscrew the dipstick, clean the oil off, then reinsert into the hole but do not screw in. That's why I am suspect of my actual oil level

------------------

·
Registered
517 Posts
The sightglass idea would be great, but I don't have too much trouble checking oil on my F3 while sitting on it. Just have rag on tank to wipe stick, reach down and do it (I have long arms). If in doubt, I would personally prefer to have oil under the max level to keep oil from being sucked into air intake (been there on GTi after autocross...). Sounds like you are on the right track. \

Regarding chain issue, did you buy bike new or used?

------------------

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the bike used about two weeks ago. The guy who had it before me bought it for his son back in July 99. His son rode it until probably november or december. He had an industrial accident which caused him to not be able to ride for at least a year or two. So the bike has not been ridden consistently since winter. It was started and ridden around the father's neighborhood.
I looked at the bike again tonight and it sure sounds like the noised is originating from the front sprocket area. It is really hard to tell though.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts