Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a first streetbike. Heres my thoughts on the three so far, I was hoping you guys could add to what I already know about them. I've been riding a 1970's KE100cc kawasaki street/dirt bike around my moms farm for a couple years now. I plan on eventually moving up to modern 600cc sportbikes in a few years, and maybe even literbikes in a long time. Heres 3 of my choices, could i get any feeback on them?

Ninja 250R- The one im kinda leaning towards right now. Not really any downsides to it, other than its only 250cc. I know that should be enough for me for a while, but if I rode it for a couple years and got bored with it, it would be a big jump from that to a 600.

CBR600f2- I've read this is really comfortable and great learner bike. Since its over 10 years old, its not going to be too fast right? One thing i noticed is, the lowest mileage one i've ever seen was like 8,000. The only ones in the same pricerange as the Ninja 250 have 20-30k miles on them. How reliable are they with that many miles?

SV650- Would this be too much engine to begin with? I'd want to get a fairly new one, only 3 or 4 years old if I can find a good price. I like the way it looks, but its got a bunch of power. Maybe a better second bike?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Ninja 250R - Great starter bike. Light and with enough power to get into trouble with the law.

CBR600f2 - Any 600 is going to be fast but, at 10y.o., it won't be as fast as today's bikes.

SV650 - Different engine configuration gives different power delivery to 600's. Fairly even (but strong) power across the range, without the huge kick that 600's get when they start breathing.

IMO, go the 250, then sell it in 12 months and move up, if you're ready. You'll have a better understanding of what a bike is capable of and be able to make a better call on your next bike (SV vs 600).

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Re: Re: CBR600 F2, ninja 250, SV650

cookeetree said:
Ninja 250R - Great starter bike. Light and with enough power to get into trouble with the law.

CBR600f2 - Any 600 is going to be fast but, at 10y.o., it won't be as fast as today's bikes.

SV650 - Different engine configuration gives different power delivery to 600's. Fairly even (but strong) power across the range, without the huge kick that 600's get when they start breathing.

IMO, go the 250, then sell it in 12 months and move up, if you're ready. You'll have a better understanding of what a bike is capable of and be able to make a better call on your next bike (SV vs 600).
Good call...I agree 110%...the 250 will teach you things the 600 won't / can't...

·
Registered
609 Posts
jrog24 said:
Go for the 600, 250 is for wimps. Or if it doesn't bother you and it shouldnt go for the 250.:2cents: :D
There are probably people who would whip your ass on a 250 through twisties. If you're that concerned about your penis size on a bike, you're getting one for the wrong reason.

To the poster, you're looking at a 250 compared to a CBR. Huge difference, and I can tell you the CBR is still a very quick bike, that's what I initially learned on.

The 250 is a great bike to start on, I'd go that route out of your options. If you're going to compare it to anything, consider a Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I guess it was too small for a 1000 cc, lol. J/K, how long have you been riding? I definitely show respect to guys riding 250/500 and keep in mind that unless we're running side by side, there's no way to know who's under the helmet. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you're looking into F2's, I'd suggest looking at some F3's. I got mine for $4k and it only had 5 thousand miles on it when I bought it. It was my first bike.. it's a great beginner bike! It also has enough top end to get your license suspended.. :finger: :finger:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts