Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a used 1998 Honda CBR600 F3. It has only 3,800 miles on it. I have noticed some noises that I have not heard on on my old bike.

First after starting the bike and releasing the clutch with it in neutral I hear a very distinct noise like releasing the clutch is loading the engine somehow. It just sounds like a mechanical chugging noise that goes away when I pull the clutch lever in and comes back when I release it.

The second noise is a whining sound that is very noticeable when decelerating. I though it was something with the clutch so I tried a few tests. It makes the noise no matter what gear you are in including neutral. It makes the noise with the engine off and coasting in neutral or with the clutch lever pulled in as well. It only goes away after slowing below 5mph or so. It seems like a tranny or wheel bearing problem to me but I don't know.

The third thing is that it seems very difficult to get a clean shift from 1st to second at high rpms like around 9k or so. It wants to go into neutral but mostly at the high rpms.

Fortunately the bike has a 3 year Honda extended warranty.

If anybody has any thoughts or ideas on these things please let me know. Thanks

[This message has been edited by ChuckD (edited July 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
137 Posts
The noise you hear, when the bike is in neutral is not uncommon, I have had several bikes that do this, even the bird.

I don't know the tech side of it, but I don't think it is serious.

I think it has somthing to with, the clutch not being under load and spinning freely.
(pulling the clutch lever loads the clutch springs)

My old 85 GPZ600r (Ninja in the US) used to rattle like a very rattly thing, when it was in neutral, and to this day it is still going (know the current owner) good as gold.

Please feel free to expose my technical short comings :) :) :)

Ross cbrxx

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i third f3skooterdude's comments.

as for the jetting question, no you don't really need, but yes you want to jet it. stay away from factory pro jet kits, it'd take too long to explain. i do however recommend the factory configuration 10 with the stock filter. dynojet is just weird.

jetting a really sound performance mod, if you can't do it yourself, find a really good shop to do it.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Since we're on the subject, I notice this gawd-awful sound coming from the clutch on my 748 too! It sounds like somebody tossed a handful of bolts in a blender...is this normal??? :D

------------------
-Paul
You're slow, and your mother dresses you funny.

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 748_abuser:
Since we're on the subject, I notice this gawd-awful sound coming from the clutch on my 748 too! It sounds like somebody tossed a handful of bolts in a blender...is this normal??? :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish someone would explain to me why anyone would buy a Ducati.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
I wish someone would explain to me why anyone would buy a Ducati.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about others, but personally, I bought mine because I'm a Squid and a poser.

------------------
-Paul

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 748_abuser:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HURRY! SELL IT AND BUY A HONDA! :D

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

P

·
0 Posts
I don't know about others, but personally, I bought mine because I'm a Squid and a poser.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Among other things.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riverrunner_2000:

HURRY! SELL IT AND BUY A HONDA! :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no

------------------
-Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
relax man. i'm on my second F3 and they both make the same noises you're talking about. the sound you hear when you let the clutch lever out is the clutch basket spinning- TOTALLY normal. kind of like a grinding whir, yes? it goes away when you pull in the lever because you've released the load on it. it's better for the clutch to sit in nuetral with the lever out. the whine you hear is normal too. gear wine. the gearbox is constantly in motion even when in nuetral. ever have one of those toy cars you rolled backwards to wind up and the faster you wound it up the more noise it made? and both of my F3's have the same shift behavior. a shift kit would probably help or practice getting the shift off quick and firm. worse case scenario is a bent shift fork, but seeing that both my F3's were prone to that on occasion i doubt thats the case. if it was bent you'd probably have shifting problems in other gears at other rpm's. also you might want to try different shift lever heights as that really does make a difference. the leverage can be weakened if it's too low. and you might want to check your clutch lever free play. it should be as tight as possible leaving a little play at full lock left and right. adjust it after the bike's at normal operating temp. it's tighter when cold and will be too loose by the time it warms up. and no, i don't mean to sound like a know it all, being on my 2nd F3 i figure i've come to know them a little. also used to work at a Honda dealership as a tech so i've also had occaision to ride other ones, not to mention ask all the same questions i hear from you. relax and enjoy it. if somethings really wrong one day you'll know it. keep the chain lubed and adjusted, change your oil, and ride it. hope this helps......

any other things your concerned about maybe i can help- [email protected]

------------------
A few clowns short of a circus...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skooterdude,

Thanks for the helpful info. This is my first CBR so I guess I am just not used to hearing different sounds and noises. I know my Ninja had the clutch basket sound and a little gear whine from the tranny but it seems like the CBR has a lot of gear whine. What about changing oil wieght or going synthetic top help??? I did just change the oil and either the noise became more pronounced or I just noticed it at that point. I am running normal Honda spec 10w-40. I know that oil does play some role as my Ninja handled the 20w-50 and the synthetic oils differently from good ol' standard 10w-40. New bike paranoia I guess. My bike has a Yoshimura RS-3 oval race slip-on. Any re-jetting necessary for this pipe?? Thanks for the help.

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Chuck. You hit it right on the head. New bike, new noises. As for jetting it's like F2boy said, not necessary but helpful. Honda designs bikes on the lean side so any change in the air flow won't really hurt the bike but you could notice performance drops.

I have a D&D slip on and I first shimmed the needles which picked up the midrange, then later I noticed it was kinda flat up top with extra exhaust flow so I bumped main jet sizes up using OEM Honda jets.

It worked out extremely well and maintained pretty much the stock powerband except that it starts to pull just after 5 grand instead of 7 or 8 and it just keeps on going.

I imagine that you may be leaned out a bit as I was so you may want to fatten it up. I'll second the K&N/Dynojet stuff being weird. I went round and round with one on a different bike. But it may work better on the F3's, I don't know.

If you're interested at all to what I did and that I know works let me know. I spent maybe $20 dollars at the most versus $80-$100 for a kit. I also modified the slides a little which put a kick in the pants for throttle response as well as smoothing out the mixture.

Oh, and I've tried 10w-50 and the F3 doesn't like it too well. Initially it bogged the motor a bit forcing the oil pump to work harder to force thicker oil through oil passages. When it broke down later on it loosened up but that took loo long for my tastes.

Hope this helps, get out there and enjoy the thing!

------------------
A few clowns short of a circus...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Darn it! Ever since this post I started noticing the gear whine on deceleration and clutch gurgle. Is that called "topic awareness??" :)

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think topic awareness could be a new term for itI just happen to have ears that seem to tune into weird noises (rattles in the cars etc). I can also spot a door ding from 100 yards. I consider it very annoying. Anyway I took my bike by the dealer last night and they said everything sounded ok. The guy I talked with said that since the bike only has 3,800 miles it will still loosen up some and the noise may dissapate. He said the tranny still felt tight. I think I'll just try to ignore it and enjoy my new ride.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ChuckD (edited July 07, 2000).]

P

·
0 Posts
Chuck, I'm the same exact way, but I'll tell you what's annoying. It's when no one else can hear the rattle you're hearing, or see the ding that you see. Now that's annoying! Know what I mean?

------------------
Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts