Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup Brothas and Sistas,

I am contimplating a career change, and it is starting to become a pretty real possibility. Currently, I work in the Automotive Industry as a Manufacturing Quality Engineer. I have worked in this field for quite a few years, and make a pretty good living. I haven't really fealt the manufacturing pinch that the rest of Michigan has fealt, and I am very thankful of that. Over the past 5 years, I have grown very dis-inchanted with my profession, to the point that I hate going to work everyday. However, I do like the company that I work for, and they are very successful, and growing at a good and reasonable pace.

That said, I know may have the possibility to enter a new career, totally unrelated to manufacturing, and I would have to start at substantially less money than I currently make. It would take 3 or 4 years for me to get where I am at now. The job is somewhat dangerous, but very rewarding, and it has been a dream of mine since I was in my late teens and early twenties. The pay would be less, but with a tight budget, I would definitely be able to make ends meet, and I may be able to get a second job for a while to suppliment my fun stuff.

I don't want to get into to many particulars about the new career possibility, as its not a sure thing yet.

My question is, what would you do, and why?

Thanks for any input

Jon

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My only suggestion is. Don't burn your bridge.

And how stable is the possible new job?

Other than that, you have to do what ever it is that makes you happy. That's the best thing about our country. You have the ability to do it!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You are going to be a hooker?

I think that if you do not inform us as to what the new job is, all we can do is offer generalities.

Will you still be staying local or are you on your way to "other places" for Haliburton?

You often have to figure out what it is that will make you "happy". So, you have to define "happy".

For many people, work is not fun. Fun is fun and work is just what people do to pay the bills.

If at your current position, could you enjoy it more if someone else left? As in, a supervisor who might retire and is a jerk? Something along those lines?

I think it is important to think about your future and retirement.
They made the statement in the news today that if one were to retire today, that person would need $225,000 in order to just pay for medical insurance, over the rest of there expected lives.

So, you have to ask yourself, will you be able to earn enough to where you will be able to retire well?

You might be pretty young today, but costs are only going to go up and in reality, you will be of retirement age before you know it.

However, if you are cool with your current and future retirement goals, then that is not necessarily something to worry over.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Firefighter...
Com'om guys....Pay attention....:loser:

Sounds cool Jon.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for all of the input guys. The new opportunity is in Law enforcement. I didn't want to say anything because I know some on here have a negative view of police officers.

Hellsnat,

I am pretty sure the new possibility will be fairly stable, at least as stable or more so than the auto industry, and I agree that its awesome living in a country where I can have this dilemma.

Webb,

I see your point(s) as well. I am currently saving for retirement at a very aggressive pace. If I change careers, I may have to taper that off for a couple of years, but I will still be saving. I don't expect my job to be fun, but I would like it to be rewarding, and being bogged down in the corporate manufacturing game of covering you ass, and who's toes not to step on is just wearing me out. I really am looking at using this opportunity to get the training and education to move into higher levels of law enforcement and maybe even getting a law degree at some point. The first few years will be the toughest, but if it all works out the way I see it, I will be way ahead in the end. I will still be in this area for the time being, but who knows what the future holds. I am in a fortunate position as I am no longer married, and don't have any children. That makes the decision a little easier, I guess.

Duner,

Good guess on the firefighter, but not quite. I thought about that, and decided that I really wouldn't like doing it full time, as much as I admire what they do. I like doing the paid-on-call thing.

Nate,

You are more than welcome to it buddy, but I don't think you would like it.

Thanks again for all of the input

Jon

·
Registered
798 Posts
You can always supplement your income by writing failure to stop tickets and racking in OT like that one guy in Warren... LOL

Do what makes you happy and if you can do it without too much sacrifice.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Live the dream man!

From what I have seen, smart people make rank quickly in the Law Enforcement profession. You'd probably up your pay fairly quickly.

Regarding the retirement issue. Most police departments fund their retirement plans via a defined benefit plan. This means that your retirement benefits are determined by your length of service and salary history. (as opposed to defined contribution plans, like a 401k, where your benefits are simply determined by how much you've managed to save) The magic number to be eligible to draw defined benefit payments. (a lifetime pension) is 20 years of service. If you can put in 20 years, the retirement benefits are very generous. Problem is, if you don't put in the 20 years, you don't really get much of anything and the only way to make use of the years you did put in is to transfer to another government type job, usually within the same municipality, that will accept and "grandfather" your previous years of service into their own defined benefit plan.

Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks for all of the input guys. The new opportunity is in Law enforcement. I didn't want to say anything because I know some on here have a negative view of police officers.

Jon
JonJon, I remember we talked about this. Let me know where you are going to go for the Poloce Academy, I will join you in this endeavor of yours. I would like to be a Public Safety Officer that way I can still practice the EMT portion that I love so much. Seriously, keep me updated. I would enjoy going through this with someone I know for moral support.:thumbs2::thumbs2:

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Jon, normal people do not dislike an honest and hardworking police officer.
What normal people do not like is a musclehead asshole with an attitude, a gun and a badge.

People who do not like cops "just because" should be ignored.

At this time, I question your motive to be a police officer, as you do not seem to have enough confidance in your decision to even mention it on this board, and you already know 99.95% of the members.

Never be embarrassed to say that you are or want to be a police officer. It is a noble profession, when done well.

That being said,
have you given any thought as to perhaps taking a leave of absence from your current job? You know, taking a breather?

Find another job in the same or similar field, beginning in October of next year? Often, some time away from the current path can help one "see" things better.

Take the summer off, if possible and see what you think. Travel or read or take a class at the local University and see if that might give you a better perspective on things.

If you think you might enjoy going to Law School, then do some research and talk to people. Some police officers go on to Law School, the current Chief of Detroit being one.

But one can skip being an officer and just make the decision to go to Law School as well.

As you have already alluded too, being a cop can be a somewhat negative career. It is low paying, not everyone loves you, it is full of danger (but you can often shoot bad guys!) and it is often mundane on a day to day basis. It is also full of paperwork, although as an Engineer, you already know about that.

However, you mention in your post that you do not enjoy playing the "CYA game" and you also dislike the "being careful to watch whose toes you step on".

You have to realize that as a police officer, you will be immersed in those 2 concepts for your entire career.

The Police Department in Detroit has long had the reputation of being composed of only 2 kinds of cops; those cops who are criminals and those cops who are inept. Not a very nice thing to think about, yet that has been the perception for over 30 years.

Now, is that true? Probably not so much anymore as they got rid of the class of 1985, mostly.
Is the perception still there? Yes. Look at the Swame/Strawberry debacle that is ongoing as we speak.

Not all cops are like that, but most major police departments have that image, whether true or not seems to be immaterial.

Also, as becoming a good cop is alot of work, have you given any thought to getting your MBA and leaving Engineering for the other side of the table, management?

You might also try to remember that in the Detroit area, the car biz is what it is and it can be kind of different if you were to get a job in the car biz in another state.

Have you given any thought about moving to another state, yet doing something similar to what you are doing now?

Or are you locked into becoming a LEO?
That is where taking some time off can help.

As you say, you are single with no children.

In my line, I have lived in China for 3 years and I have lived in Mexico for about 3 years also. I simply took positions that sent me to those locations.

Some of it is same old, same old. But working in other countries can be different, even if you are doing basically the same thing.

Just some thoughts and nothing concrete, I know. Sorry.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Jon
JonJon, I remember we talked about this. Let me know where you are going to go for the Poloce Academy, I will join you in this endeavor of yours. I would like to be a Public Service Officer that way I can still practice the EMT portion that I love so much. Seriously, keep me updated. I would enjoy going through this with someone I know for moral support.:thumbs2::thumbs2:

p.s. I enjoy the paid on call fire department thing more myself as well. You can practice being an EMT and not have to fight fires. I hate firefighting (sorry). I enjoy blood, guts and dead bodies more.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
hey jon i too have been thinking about doing the same thing let me also know where since we live kinda close....
Haha, all 3 of us can go. That would fun. Seriously, lets do this!!!!

Lizzi, are you going to go as well girl???!!!! I know you are hating your job and already can probably shoot a gun better than most guys!!!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Im serious to have been looking into it for about a year been my dream for awhile now would love to actually do it!
Yeah, I have been looking at becoming a police officer ever since I was about 5. I lost sight of it when I went to Uof M thinking I was suppose to be a high powered person since I graduated from a high ranking college. I woke up one day and knew I had to make some changes in my career and go for something I would love to do on a daily basis. Fawk money and fawk fancy clothes and cars. Nothing has been as fullfilling as becoming an EMT. You are not paid the most but it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. The police academy has been next on my list but I have been nervous about it. I was watching cops the other night (haha, yeah, my favorite) and the officer was a graduate from Notre Dame with a major in economics. It opened my eyes back up.

Let's go. I needed the flame sparked back up under my ass (and I don't mean that in a homosexual way) Thanks Jon and Flip!!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jon, normal people do not dislike an honest and hardworking police officer.
What normal people do not like is a musclehead asshole with an attitude, a gun and a badge.

People who do not like cops "just because" should be ignored.

At this time, I question your motive to be a police officer, as you do not seem to have enough confidance in your decision to even mention it on this board, and you already know 99.95% of the members.

Never be embarrassed to say that you are or want to be a police officer. It is a noble profession, when done well.

That being said,
have you given any thought as to perhaps taking a leave of absence from your current job? You know, taking a breather?

Find another job in the same or similar field, beginning in October of next year? Often, some time away from the current path can help one "see" things better.

Take the summer off, if possible and see what you think. Travel or read or take a class at the local University and see if that might give you a better perspective on things.

If you think you might enjoy going to Law School, then do some research and talk to people. Some police officers go on to Law School, the current Chief of Detroit being one.

But one can skip being an officer and just make the decision to go to Law School as well.

As you have already alluded too, being a cop can be a somewhat negative career. It is low paying, not everyone loves you, it is full of danger (but you can often shoot bad guys!) and it is often mundane on a day to day basis. It is also full of paperwork, although as an Engineer, you already know about that.

However, you mention in your post that you do not enjoy playing the "CYA game" and you also dislike the "being careful to watch whose toes you step on".

You have to realize that as a police officer, you will be immersed in those 2 concepts for your entire career.

The Police Department in Detroit has long had the reputation of being composed of only 2 kinds of cops; those cops who are criminals and those cops who are inept. Not a very nice thing to think about, yet that has been the perception for over 30 years.

Now, is that true? Probably not so much anymore as they got rid of the class of 1985, mostly.
Is the perception still there? Yes. Look at the Swame/Strawberry debacle that is ongoing as we speak.

Not all cops are like that, but most major police departments have that image, whether true or not seems to be immaterial.

Also, as becoming a good cop is alot of work, have you given any thought to getting your MBA and leaving Engineering for the other side of the table, management?

You might also try to remember that in the Detroit area, the car biz is what it is and it can be kind of different if you were to get a job in the car biz in another state.

Have you given any thought about moving to another state, yet doing something similar to what you are doing now?

Or are you locked into becoming a LEO?
That is where taking some time off can help.

As you say, you are single with no children.

In my line, I have lived in China for 3 years and I have lived in Mexico for about 3 years also. I simply took positions that sent me to those locations.

Some of it is same old, same old. But working in other countries can be different, even if you are doing basically the same thing.

Just some thoughts and nothing concrete, I know. Sorry.

Good luck!
Webb,

Don't apologize. Your word are definitely thought provoking, and I have thought about many of the coices and points you brought up. You are right. I am not 100% on being a cop, just really interested at this point. The reason for my post was really to get som good feedback on the choice I may have to make, which I am getting. The only thing at this point that is a strong consideration is the money. It will be a lifestyle change for me and I have to decide if its going to be worth it. I don't want to move out of Michigan right now, but down the road who knows.

The law degree is really just an avenue for advancement, and a faraway thoght at this point. Even if I went that route, I would want to be an officer first, to learn that side of it. There are so many possibilities, and i wish I wouldn't have fawked up when I was younger. I could be a 14 year Veteran by now. LOL! I am just tired of being content with where I am in life, and not being excited about anything anymore. (except the upcoming track season). LOL! There is a chance for an opportunity here, and if it presents itself, I'm probably gonna take it.

I applied to the Detroit Police Department today. I take the written pre-emplyment test on March 15th. If they hire me I will go through their academy, and hopefully become a police officer. I am excited for the first time, in a long time.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and comments.

Jon

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I am not quite sure if I want to give Detroit Police my time? I would probably be fired or shot for expressing my moralistic beliefs. Though I really do have a lot of respect for Cummings. If you were going someplace else I would be there in a heartbeat, but I can't say I would risk my life for the scum in Detroit. I'll have to think about the Detroit thing.

Nice to hear that you are going after something you want to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts