Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 FZR 1k and I finally got a chance to spend alittle time together after she sat for a couple of weeks. When I started her up on the the choke the exhaust seemed "muffled". I thought it was maybe from sitting and blow her alittle. The "muffled" and slight "fludder" never went away and can't reach a speed over 75mph, feels like theres no fuel. Drained tank, put fresh gas in just to be sure and same thing. New fuel filter, and petcocks. Is it time for a carb rebuild?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
May just need cleaning, one of the jets might have some gunk blocking it. Try spraying carb cleaner

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vash!

While I'm in there cleaning, might as well check my float levels. I saw in previous post for an EXUP that the floats were to be set at 14mm. Is that correct for mine as well?

·
Registered
731 Posts
87 FZR 1k and I finally got a chance to spend alittle time together after she sat for a couple of weeks. When I started her up on the the choke the exhaust seemed "muffled". I thought it was maybe from sitting and blow her alittle. The "muffled" and slight "fludder" never went away and can't reach a speed over 75mph, feels like theres no fuel. Drained tank, put fresh gas in just to be sure and same thing. New fuel filter, and petcocks. Is it time for a carb rebuild?
Any chance that a mouse may have built a nest in the exhaust? That may explain the muffled exhaust note.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike has a supertrapp on it so that is unlikely. Taken carbs off for a complete cleaning and going through. Don't know when it was done last.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts

Fuel level: 3.8 - 4.8 mm
Pilot screw: 3.0 turns out

These carbs are pretty sensitive to synchonization. Once you get everything set to baseline, synch, and then make your fine adjustments.

It's good to use a infrared thermometer to help you get the pilots right. Often the inner two carbs will be a need to be a little richer or leaner due to the heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts