Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aunt and uncle got a new car. The merc benz smart car. They drove all the way from Toronto, Canada to Raleigh, NC. This car is damn small! It's got a little peppy 800cc 3 cylinder diesel, mid-engine, rwd.

Its a 2 seater with a convertible top. The space inside is very very roomy and relaxing, just that its lacking truck space, power, and speed. What you get is a nice city car with 71mpg.

My only beef with the car is its clunky auto transmission, other then that, it seems be nice enough to get to point A-B. Btw, this is not sold in the states at the moment.

The speedo on the car only goes up to like 140-160 km/h and I doubt it could even reach those speeds with 2 people.

I took a pic of the car with my bike to compare the size. Damn, my bike is the same size just about.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hey that's smaller than my Mini Cooper S. How cute! The S has a 4 cylinder edit: supercharged 1.6L engine. Little sombitch hauls. 150 BHP little over 16 lbs per horse! It'll do well over 100MPH and will do 0 to 60 in about 8 seconds.

Manual 6 speed trans. Moon roof, leather interior, and z rated run flat tires.

I'm 6'5" and fit just fine and there's still room for the dogs.

It's almost as fun to drive as riding!.... Almost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
God help you if you ever hit something with one of those things. A small dog would probably result in a writeoff, nevermind another vehicle:D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
My Mini has air bags in the windshield posts, dash board, and side impact in the seats. I look at it kinda like riding a bike anyway. Really don't want to hit anything in/on either one.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The price is? Plus is it ideal for hwy use? Also how long will it take in savings to pay for said expense of the car?

·
Registered
135 Posts
hahaha no way, i live in toronto and i saw that same car on the road same plates and everything, that car is a monstrosity.

·
Registered
135 Posts
no offense or anything, they're probably really good on millage, but i saw a few drive by every now and then and they always make me laugh. and i remember that plate specifically because it made me laugh even harder.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The S has a 4 cylinder turbo charged 1.6L engine.
fyi, the S is supercharged. No turbo in a mini... yet

I wouldn't mind having one of those cars, but I'd prefer having with a little more power and a manual transmission. Now, if they used a motorcycle engine instead, I'd be all over that machine if it had some good suspension and a 4-lug bolt rim pattern. The prices start at about 19,000 US dollars, but a full package costs about 23-24k US dollars, not including dealers, tax, and other fee's.

Otherwise, I'll keep on driving the the bikes as they get good gas milage as is and are a hell of a lot more fun. btw, it the smart car tops out at 85mph.

·
Registered
108 Posts
2k miles a month at 72 mpg = $78.00
2k miles a month at 30 mpg = $186.00
2k miles a month at 15 mpg = $372.00
well if youre buying a new car anyways its not like youre out any extra money. id buy one just so i wouldnt have to give so much of my money to shell. id far rather drive that and spend the extra 1-300 cabbage a month on important stuff like hookers and blow...wait...i meant...:eek: :D

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I remember seeing that car on "Beyond Tomarrow" on the science channel, originally aired on the BBC. One of the original versions had almost like bed-rails in the middle and the car would extend itself and fit 4 people, it would be a little bigger than the size of a VW bug expanded. I would trade my Protoge' up for one of those, the smart car probly out performs it anyways:twofinger But I agree, I wouldn't wanna wreck in that thing. Its gunna be like a coke can and just compress, I know my proto does... found that the hard way.

Sepias

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah the market for these kind of hybred cars is getting bigger here because of these crazy gas prices. The days of joyrides in a car are coming to an end for the poorer of us. That's why i got the bike for joy rides, haha. I'll also take my bike whenever it's practical, sometimes i forget the thing even needs to be refilled. haha

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DIMENSIONS
Weight: 1588 lbs
Length: 8'2.5"
Width: 4'11.5"
Height: 5'

"Why is the Smart car so safe?
The tridion safety cell forms the core element of the body of each smart car. It is manufactured exclusively from high-tensile steel and creates a cage-like safety structure for the occupants. The tridion safety cell makes the smart city-coupe one of the safest of small cars with regard to its crash safety characteristics. This has been confirmed by numerous crash tests conducted in Europe."

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
mac020 said:
Hey that's smaller than my Mini Cooper S. How cute! The S has a 4 cylinder edit: supercharged 1.6L engine. Little sombitch hauls. 150 BHP little over 16 lbs per horse! It'll do well over 100MPH and will do 0 to 60 in about 8 seconds.

Manual 6 speed trans. Moon roof, leather interior, and z rated run flat tires.

I'm 6'5" and fit just fine and there's still room for the dogs.

It's almost as fun to drive as riding!.... Almost.
My ex wife just bought one of those. We took it out for a spin when I was last home. Holy shit that is a fun car. I love that thing. She's crazy about it.

Back on topic too, there are a couple of those Smart Cars running around up in this area where I've been working. Neat little cars.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The Cooper Mini has one of the best crash ratings of any car currently in the US because of the airbags and the way it is designed to absorb impact. Neat thing about them, when the airbags deploy all instruments freeze in position. You can look in the car and see what the speed and rpms were at the time of impact. They are amazing cars with a ton of power for something that small. They corner like they are on rails and if you put the Cooper aftermarket performance package on them it bumps the power and has top of the line suspension. My ex is a pretty damn good motorcycle rider and says the Mini is the closest thing to a motorcycle on 4 wheels she's been in and we owned a couple of decent sportscar. She takes the thing down to Deal's Gap in TN quite a bit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
RCjohn said:
The Cooper Mini has one of the best crash ratings of any car currently in the US because of the airbags and the way it is designed to absorb impact. Neat thing about them, when the airbags deploy all instruments freeze in position. You can look in the car and see what the speed and rpms were at the time of impact. They are amazing cars with a ton of power for something that small. They corner like they are on rails and if you put the Cooper aftermarket performance package on them it bumps the power and has top of the line suspension. My ex is a pretty damn good motorcycle rider and says the Mini is the closest thing to a motorcycle on 4 wheels she's been in and we owned a couple of decent sportscar. She takes the thing down to Deal's Gap in TN quite a bit.
well i guess that could be bad if you were the cause and were speeding :( but of course no one does that

1 - 20 of 27 Posts