Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
That's why I always look both ways after my light turns green. I hope they heal well and that lady pays the price!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What a fuckin retard. She was probably too busy putting on makeup to bother paying attention to a red light. At least the accident occured right in front of a hospital.. I guess that's the best place to get hit if you're gonna get hit.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
That is why I have the signature down at the bottom of my post for you do NOT count on any cage driver to obey the laws of the road even at red lights to them let alone metal STOP signs.

I believe it was two years ago when I stopped at the metal STOP sign of a T of a road & my truck took a slight hit from behind. The driver was vivid that I had actually stopped claiming he never stopped there.

Damage to his very new car was pretty extensive to the front left part & mainly the left portion. Not a mark on my old rusty rear bumper.

At the time the corner lot house to my right was with two large pine trees, the oncomming road, I would be rolling on to & turning left on was starting to turn & climb a bit so rather dangerouns & nearly got hit by a car coming from the right as I was banking out & taking the left turn.

The home owner had both large pine trees dropped just a year ago.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hoopster said:
That's why I always look both ways after my light turns green. I hope they heal well and that lady pays the price!
I try to look both ways ANYTIME I approach any intersection. Not just when the light changes.

I don't think these guys ever saw what hit em. Video said 5th rider saw the whole thing cause he had to stop. Which tells me the light was red on her for awhile. Looks like lady just drove through a red light at a fairly high speed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
wow, i cant believe it shook the 5th rider up that much to where he said he doubts he'll ride again...:(

i wonder whether they were wearing gear or not

i hope they have a quick recovery, and i hope the father pulls through.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
^ I've had my dad's friends who stopped riding after they've seen a friend die on a bike. One of my friend's uncle had a harley and got side swiped by a car and hit a tree. He's paralyzed from the waste down and didn't have health insurance so people in our neighborhood did fundraisers to pay off his medical bill.

Wasn't there something like that in Mexico where 3 sports bike were hit from behind by a drunk driver (caught on vid). I remember seeing that last year and it scared the hell out of me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
conrice said:
i wonder whether they were wearing gear or not
The reporter said that they admited that they weren't wearing helmets, but said they'll change their riding habbits after this.

Sad story, and definetely good that it happened next to a medical center.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The stupid filters wont let me get to it, can someone repost the story?

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
DENVER - An accident involving four motorcycles and a black Lexus caused major jams on Speer Boulevard during Tuesday afternoon rush hour and sent four people to the hospital.

The driver of the car involved in a traffic accident that left 3 motorcyclists hospitalized for their injuries on Tuesday, has been identified as Anna Abbott.

The accident happened just before 3 p.m. on Tuesday. Police spokesman Sonny Jackson says four motorcycles were headed south on Speer Boulevard when a black Lexus ran a red light on 8th and crashed into them.

The investigation has determined that Abbott failed to stop for a red light at the intersection of 8th Ave. and Speer Blvd. and collided with two motorcycles, causing them to skid into two other motorcyclists.

Motorcyclist Jeff Thomas, who was riding with the group, got stopped at the light and witnessed the accident.

"It scared the hell out of me," said Thomas. He said he's been riding with the group for years. Thomas identified the riders who were hit as Mike McGinley, his son, Mike McGinley Jr., Johnnie Baker and Byron Waggner.

The accident happened just across the street from Denver Health Medical Center. Witnesses said staff poured out of the hospital immediately following the accident and were able to quickly stabilize the victims and get them into surgery.

The most seriously injured, McGinley Sr. remains in critical condition in the hospital's intensive care unit Saturday night. Mike McGinley Jr. was in fair condition.

Byron Waggner was treated at the hospital and released. Johnnie Baker remains in serious condition Saturday night.

Southbound Speer was closed at 8th Avenue for almost four hours.

Abbott has been cited for Careless Driving Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury.
Senseless. She needs to be beaten. This is one of the reasons why I ride as if everyone is out to kill me.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
DENVER - An accident involving four motorcycles and a black Lexus caused major jams on Speer Boulevard during Tuesday afternoon rush hour and sent four people to the hospital.

The driver of the car involved in a traffic accident that left 3 motorcyclists hospitalized for their injuries on Tuesday, has been identified as Anna Abbott.

The accident happened just before 3 p.m. on Tuesday. Police spokesman Sonny Jackson says four motorcycles were headed south on Speer Boulevard when a black Lexus ran a red light on 8th and crashed into them.

The investigation has determined that Abbott failed to stop for a red light at the intersection of 8th Ave. and Speer Blvd. and collided with two motorcycles, causing them to skid into two other motorcyclists.

Motorcyclist Jeff Thomas, who was riding with the group, got stopped at the light and witnessed the accident.

"It scared the hell out of me," said Thomas. He said he's been riding with the group for years. Thomas identified the riders who were hit as Mike McGinley, his son, Mike McGinley Jr., Johnnie Baker and Byron Waggner.

The accident happened just across the street from Denver Health Medical Center. Witnesses said staff poured out of the hospital immediately following the accident and were able to quickly stabilize the victims and get them into surgery.

The most seriously injured, McGinley Sr. remains in critical condition in the hospital's intensive care unit Saturday night. Mike McGinley Jr. was in fair condition.

Byron Waggner was treated at the hospital and released. Johnnie Baker remains in serious condition Saturday night.

Southbound Speer was closed at 8th Avenue for almost four hours.

Abbott has been cited for Careless Driving Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Since there were four riders down due to this woman going through the red light yet a sixth thinking he is going to stop riding. That does sound like a group that were out for a nice ride & their minds were more on the ride, then being defensive in their riding. Unfortunately some of these riders tend to ride to closely & reason four bikers were down. Mind you the same is with sportbike riders that seem to be like sardines in a container when it comes to being so close togeather.

THAT is the reason I ride SOLO & do not even want another rider to be close to me.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard Lady was DUI and has been charged with Vehicular assault.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Smitty-

Whether the motorcyclists were proximal to one another or spaced relatively far apart....it still sounds like the woman made the mistake of carelessly running the red traffic signal and hitting them.

I'm with you as far as tending to ride by myself....but let's not shift the blame to the victims here.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Smitty said:
Since there were four riders down due to this woman going through the red light yet a sixth thinking he is going to stop riding. That does sound like a group that were out for a nice ride & their minds were more on the ride, then being defensive in their riding. Unfortunately some of these riders tend to ride to closely & reason four bikers were down. Mind you the same is with sportbike riders that seem to be like sardines in a container when it comes to being so close togeather.

THAT is the reason I ride SOLO & do not even want another rider to be close to me.
Come on now Smitty. I have read your stuff for a while, and I think I can somewhat guage you, but I have to disagree with you here. The proximity of these folks with one another is indicative of folks who were comfortable with each other, and on a group ride. Had this not been the case, we would still have a person who struck at least ONE rider through her negligence.

When good riders ride together, the lead and tail will work to reduce the risk, but they can not eliminate it. Riding with those you are comfortable with may reduce the distance between each other, but SHOULD NOT replace the fact that the front and back riders should be attentive to the changing conditions on the road. However: solo or in a group, we can not predict or prepare for the degree of negligence that we will encounter by others. We can practice the "best defense is not be there" philosophy only so far. We have to deal with other vehicles!

Brother... although I myself look for the fault of the rider in a cage/rider altercation, I can't buy this. Whether she hit one or thirty, she was wrong. Yes.... we can learn from this in the fact then when in a group we should ride as an individual within a group vice a piece of the collective... but that doesn't negate the errors made by others.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Definately NOT saying the woman was not in the wrong. Just saying even when I am going through a cross-walk I will go down a gear or two so that the engine is far more springy to the throttle response & be looking seriously at the cages to my right & left that a should be stopped. Also in not being with a group & possibly one to my side or close to me I am THEN not with the flex of being able to hit the throttle hard or possibly crank the bike from one side to the other without fear/worry of hitting a fellow rider.

I note so many others saying they leave a gap, when at a stop sign, & keep the bike in gear just in case the driver behind fails to stop. Personally I do not, for there is no real way to work your way out of a cage driver behind you that fails to stop. The gap yes for that is my way of riding & often cage or m/c riders want that gap & so I must drop back to my safe zone. For with a group in riding often your "safe zone" is not there at times.

My 59 yrs of riding have tought me a lot about safety & what I call "safe zone" to "felxibility of the engine" when in city traffic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts