Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's girlfriend is supposed to drive to Arizona this Saturday to begin her new job. Today, her 1994 Buick Century developed a leaking gas tank due to severe rust and needs to be replaced. Her mechanic wants to charge her $400 using a part from the junk yard. She is broke, but needs to get to her job where she can earn a living.

Does anyone out there either:

A. Have the skill to replace this gas tank for $200 or less?

Or

B. Have a very cheap car for sale that will make the trip from here to Arizona?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would sugest checking the yellow pages for a place that does gas tank coating and repairs. I had a tank done many years ago when I was a broke ass collage kid driving old beaters and it lasted pretty good. After 12 years of our wounderful winters here it's going to be rusted in there real good and be a SOB to get out and not something I would do in my driveway.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
$400 sounds like alot to replace a tank. Is there any good metal on the tank or is it just rusted all around? If there is good metal, you can take it to a machine shop and see if they would be willing to just weld a cover plate over the bottom of the tank to hold it together. Or you can always take the tried and true method... ducktape:D I've ducktaped several parts on my car together without problem... never a gas tank though. It should work so long as it remains dry for a few minutes to get a good seal going. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
umm i dont think that will work......any kind of tape.....uhhh not on a gas tank atleast lol! god that would be funny.

tell her to check craigslist.com, always cheap local stuff on there.

or just let her drive the vette, no big deal. hell, just loan her the busa!

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Poxy tank repair....done.
Dont buy into another cheap vehicle that may have more issues than a leaky tank.

J

·
0 Posts
Is $400 include parts and labor?
Because, if so.. Thats the right price...
$65 an hour for labor...

The current tank needs to be drained and the hardware cut off... Raise the new tank and secure using new hardware...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheCaptian said:
I would sugest checking the yellow pages for a place that does gas tank coating and repairs. I had a tank done many years ago when I was a broke ass collage kid driving old beaters and it lasted pretty good. After 12 years of our wounderful winters here it's going to be rusted in there real good and be a SOB to get out and not something I would do in my driveway.

Thanks for the advise. I will pass it along.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Andy is going to try to repair his girl friends car with the epoxy. He found a cheap car for her to buy and take to Arizona and he is going to keep and drive her car here. Her car has more problems than just the gas tank and he doesn't think it would make it there even if the tank were fixed. So, every thing should be ok. After a while of working, she will be able to lease a new car and Andy will get his car back. For now, he will mostly ride his Busa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts