Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an interesting article on how spammers and other automated nasties will begin to seep through the CATPCHA security included with account setup in many places.

Link

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm sceptical. All they got is some guy (researcher) online, whos name they didnt even know, to claim that he can get past coptcha. Cmon now, that could well be a highschool kid.

Besides, he's russian. Never trust a russian.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was amazed to learn yesterday that a kid who's 11 knew what a proxy was and how it could be used to avoid on-premise screens. Of course, the good screens also filter the proxies <devil grin>

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How true is it and will this be across the board for all sites that use CAPTCHA?
The article does claim it applies to the technology of CAPTCHA, so on the latter yes. The former is what Vash questioned and that's yet to be seen since there have been no conference presentations nor any academic literature produced for peer review that I know of.

EDIT: I learned something. The 3-D captchas are considered pretty impressive and the extent of use of fonts and lines greatly reduces likelihood of cracking. So, YMMV. Yahoo appears to have been one of the easier ones to hit and the article is mostly about the amount of spam we're going to start seeing from Yahoo. yea.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,373 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I think the days of highschool kids doing all the damage are gone. now its all about mobster russians selling hardon pills

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the days of highschool kids doing all the damage are gone. now its all about mobster russians selling hardon pills
That is correct. The vast majority of IT security literature clarifies that 'net security is all about bottom line now, not pranks or curiosity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts