Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
There are a few. Smitty is probably the most frequent poster of them, that I notice anyway. I think he's in western Canada. Go to the Canada forum on here, there are a few here and there. :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are a little far from home. Many years ago I used to live out east in Oromocto New Brunswick. One of the few things I remember is Magnetic Hill.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Yes I am from Cdn. Use Western Cdn as a rough figure though in fact I am in a small farming part of what one might call the Okanagan Valley which is south east part of the B.C. interior. Sort of like following a street address when it is handed out to you.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Yes it is ALWAYS a challenge for there are so many narrow two-lane roads with a maze of ups & downs, bends to twisties THEN with tourists well one has to be on their toes from start to finish of the ride.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Man, by the topic i thought this was going to be a good'ol canadian bashing thread. Boy was I dissapointed:twofinger :twofinger

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sorry Tipp, but we are both Western Canadians even if he is in the most Eastern Province & I am in the furthest West. Just happens to be the way of Cdns & especially Western Cdns.

A smile & a bit of a chuckle from my end. I know a bit about Brandon for I lived in Winnipeg, Man & often competed in Amateur Wrestling against others from Brandon, Flin Flon, Portage la Prairie & others. Even did some flat tracking there in early 50s.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never used to like watching flat track then all of a sudden I started watching speedway racing and some flat tack races and really enjoyed them. Where di dyou use to race?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In Manitoba, then across the border & into the States, also lived in Alberta to competed there as well along with States across the border along with places in B.C. I now live in. Not ONLY in flat tracking, but dirt hill climbing, Scrambling (now called MX), Cross Country, Enduros, Observed Trials & road racing. Forty two yrs of pounding before being forced to give up due to a home accident & badly fractured hip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't that the way it always happens, one false step and down you go. What kind of bike did you use for hill climbing?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Basically HD & Indians as they had the torque that the Brit singles or twin lacked in late 40s & 50s along with different classes being 45SV & 74OHV or whatever they could bore them out to. Flat tracked HD & Indian 45SV along with some Brit 500 irons & best of the Brit bikes was an all alloy BSA Gold Star specifically built for flat tracking. From there on the Brit irons were the bikes for dirt comp & same when it came to road racing though Jpn bikes showed to be amazing bikes in road racing.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I am at lost on that one Hammer as I only came into this world in '30. I am not a history or trivia like man or thinker. Besides with the blows me head have received I have trouble remember names of people I might meet or did meet in the past.
Could you be thinking of Stan Woods but then he rode many makes?

Like Jeff Smith was top BSA rider in the late 40s to 60s especially in MX then came over to work for Bombardier.

I know my prototype 350 AJS all alloy Trials was one rejected by Hugh Viney due to it being a street bike frame & who rejected the MX 500 Matchless I do not know.

Like Les Archer is a name that comes to mind when I think of MXing for he was unbreakable once he stuffed a Norton 500OHC International long stroke into some frame he conived. Let alone Bill Nicholson on BSA from '46 till in the early 50s.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Smitty...The racer in question did the AMA circuit in the early 70's...remember, that's when they use to have to race in Flat track, T.T.'s, and Roadraces...
:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts