Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if you guys can get your bikes vertical again after they fall. I haven't dropped mine yet(knock on wood) but i fear that if i do i won't be able to pull it up by myself. I'm not necessarily weak but the thing just feels heavy when i lean side to side.

So for those of you who have dropped your bike, did you have to get somebody to help you or could you do it by yourself. Oh and please add how much your bike weighs. Mine weighs around 350.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
IMO, if you can't pick it up alone when it dumps, you shouldn't be riding it. you should always be able to pick up your bike alone.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
monkey said:
IMO, if you can't pick it up alone when it dumps, you shouldn't be riding it. you should always be able to pick up your bike alone.
+1

You'll be surprised at how easy it is really. Mine only went over once because I left it on dirt and it rained, causing the kickstand to sink. Don't try to just grab it and pull it up, use your legs and get the right leverage and it's easy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife dropped mine while I was teaching her to ride, I had to pick it up off her foot. Damn thing was heavy as hell...:cool:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
<soapbox>Take the MSF. We learned how to pick up a bike, almost regardless of its weight. The underlying concept: Laws of Physics.</soapbox>

With a 500cc, its a breeze. Just don't be a puss :twofinger

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Obviously I have (always by myself) for both have been down & I got them up with a bit of muscle. Sometimes the adrenlin is really pumping & bike comes up like it was a light feather.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Depends on your bike, but these might help. Saw woman lifting a Goldwing up with these.

--put bike in gear or clamp on front brake to keep bike from rolling away from you.

--grab bar and back of seat while you are facing AWAY from bike and lift like you were doing a squat.

Remember, too, your bike is already down and that is bad enough. While you SHOULD be able to lift it by yourself, don't a) jerk it up and screw up your back or b) tip it over onto the other side! If help is around, accept it. Your pride's already taken a beating.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
kanwisch said:
<soapbox>Take the MSF. We learned how to pick up a bike, almost regardless of its weight. The underlying concept: Laws of Physics.</soapbox>
Yet another topic that wasn't covered in my MSF class..

I feel like I was cheated. :finger:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Back in the 90s some character checking a person on their Class 6 (m/c) riding ability. Said to this chap to lay the bike down & pick it up.

He blew his cool & said something like only if you have the $500.00 to cover the damages to the full fairing. So he was let go only to come & raise stink at this shop.

Then at the shop & we figured out it would be more like $883.00 plus labour along with delays in waiting for the products of something like a few days to several weeks or even more.

Well another chap with sportbike also about to take this test. Off he goes with this in mind, same twit demanding he lay the bike down & that is when he came out with "You have to be out of your cotton picking mind as it will take a several weeks to have the replacement plastic brought in & then $965 to over a grand YOU will have to pay for said plastics & work done at the certified m/c shop dealer".

We noticed after this the Govt employee decided to drop this personal brain wave of his. Proof that Govt officials get these brain waves & then start to flex their muscles only to be in the wrong.

Slayer anyone can pick up any of the small & light bikes used at the MSF classes for it is what they buy after that is heavy with breaking items.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same fear when I got my ZX12R it 463 dry weight. I laid it down once in a parking ramp. I wasn’t able to stop it from going over with only on foot, but was able to get it back up without many problems. And I have a hard time benching 120. Once I had both legs to use I had it up with in seconds. O yea be careful not to lift it over on to the other side. I had a buddy do that once dang near the funniest thing I have ever seen.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
Yet another topic that wasn't covered in my MSF class..

I feel like I was cheated. :finger:
Me, too. I think the topic was mentioned, but that was about it. There were certainly no demonstrations, let alone actual hands on practice doing so. Of course, the bikes we used in the MSF course were all 125s and 250s, very light little machines. Looking at their website now, the bikes range from 240 - 302 lbs. My bike has a wet weight of 489, I believe. Big difference. Of course, with the right technique it should still be doable.

I, too, have wondered how well I'd do picking it back up, but have so far not dropped it. I asked a riding buddy how he does it and he said he's never dropped his either, and he's had the bike 7+ years. Guess I'll have to consult my brother or uncles on the subject, cause I know they've dropped 'em before.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Eh unfortunately I dropped mine 2 weeks ago. Scratched my blinker :(

Its an r6, I picked it up just fine. 5'6" 150 lbs. Actually I picked it up really fast because some girls were running over to me. I had that thing up, started, and riding away before they got half way to me.

dang that was embarrasing...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stand with your back towards the seat and tank. Squat down and grab the handlebar and get your other hand under the seat. Start to stand up and step backwards and work the bike up the backs of your legs. This gives you the most leverage and saves your back.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
DustedSunshine: What is this I am reading that you quickly picked up you R6 & rode off as some girls were running your way?

Man even as an old man I would have waited for the girls for girls are always interesting to any male. LOL

·
Registered
352 Posts
DustedSunshine, I feel your pain man. I think I've posted up here before about lowsiding at the end of a girl's block after a first date. I was able to haul up my 450lb wet bike no problem and have it started and be gone before she got halfway to me.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Let me add more, then, to the MSF method. The objective is to use a low fulcrom point of your tire. Here's a good link that describes, in detail, the steps. I learned Technique II at the MSF class in IL, but not in IN. I had two motorcycle cops in the Chitown area, and they were awesome guys.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
In my MSF class, there was an instructor who was a cop and worked for the school that taught motorcycle cops. He was telling us what "skill" tests the cops have to go through to become a motorcycle cop..:eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts