Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Had to be an Indian in-line four with leaf-spring front end & plunger rear end suspension. Obviously a cop bike due to the extra lights & solo saddle. Take not of the dinky/ weak single cam front brake & rear was the same.
Friend & myself bought a pre-war (well pre-war to us Cdns means prior to 1939) four & had a ball rebuilding it. The torque was so great that with the foot clutch & left hand throttle (plus right hand spark) the bike almost wanted to pitch bike & rider to the side.
Now if you come across an ancient Excelsior four it will be with the INDIAN four engine!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I stand corrected for I feel this is with a right hand throttle & left hand spark for the gearchange lever looks as if it is on the left. Ours was the opposite, so possibly the older bikes were as strange as ours or it was modifed.
Mind you so many were aimed at sidecars, but many were used as solo bikes by us civies. The fun thing was when someone jumped on the bike, threw the sidecar gear lever to the front (thinking it was lst) only to have the bike lurch to the rear for farthest forward was REVERSE on the sidecar bikes (one position back was lst) that were being riden sole. Mind you some had the reverse in the farthest back position, so one often was mixed up when they rode a bike they did not know all the kinks it would have. LOL LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts