Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

I´ve been deciding on whether to enter the motorcycle world or not because i´m a very pondered person and always weight the benefits vs risks.

So far, after alot of thought the balance goes more for the risks side. I tlooks i have a devil in my right side telling me to ride bikes and an angel on the left side telling me to not ride bikes.

I´m always affraid i will have an accident and become paralysed or lose a limb (sorry if i´m being too direct, i will edit if you wish) because in my country alot of accidents involve motorcyclists.

But i always think if i buy the right gear and drive defensively i will be safe altough most of the accidents are provoked my cars and that´s what i´m more affraid of in this world...it´s not the way i drive but other cars.

I´ve made the decision of starting in the 250 Ninja and go up to an intermediate bike before i buy my dream bike, the Suzuki GSXR600 (It´s beautifull :) )

As far as the gear goes i not only want to buy the gloves, helmet, boots and pants to ride but also a spinal cord protection and a Leatt-Brace for the neck. So many things that offer protection but i´m still affraid of riding bikes but i´ve read sometimes that even with all this gear people have bad injuries from accidents.

Am i thinking too much or should i become one of you?:D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hey there!

I´ve been deciding on whether to enter the motorcycle world or not because i´m a very pondered person and always weight the benefits vs risks.

So far, after alot of thought the balance goes more for the risks side. I tlooks i have a devil in my right side telling me to ride bikes and an angel on the left side telling me to not ride bikes.

I´m always affraid i will have an accident and become paralysed or lose a limb (sorry if i´m being too direct, i will edit if you wish) because in my country alot of accidents involve motorcyclists.

But i always think if i buy the right gear and drive defensively i will be safe altough most of the accidents are provoked my cars and that´s what i´m more affraid of in this world...it´s not the way i drive but other cars.

I´ve made the decision of starting in the 250 Ninja and go up to an intermediate bike before i buy my dream bike, the Suzuki GSXR600 (It´s beautifull :) )

As far as the gear goes i not only want to buy the gloves, helmet, boots and pants to ride but also a spinal cord protection and a Leatt-Brace for the neck. So many things that offer protection but i´m still affraid of riding bikes but i´ve read sometimes that even with all this gear people have bad injuries from accidents.

Are you serious???

:wtf:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Do what ya gotta do!

After 34+ years of riding I've come up with some thoughts/rules:

Rule #1 Keep your head in the ride! Don't crash!..... But you will! Wear gear!
Rule #2 You are invisible not invincible! Run with your brights and assume NO one sees you!
Rule #3 Trust NO one! Especially the blue hairs! (And people on cell phones!) Even the guys you are riding with! Ride your own ride!
Rule #4 Don't get busted! Do your $hit away from the public or go to the track! (The track is absolutely one of the funest things you can do on a bike!)
Rule #5 Watch out at intersections. Go ahead and stop for that orange light and look both ways before you take off.
Rule #6 Don't follow too close. Be smooth! The guy behind you may not be paying attention. Also a bike will accelerate much faster than most cars.
Rule #7 Keep your bike in top condition. Check the lights,tire pressures, oil, chain, etc.
Rule #8 Don't ever let anyone else ride your bike. (Mechanics excluded!)
Rule #9 not sure but:
Rule #10 HAVE FUN!!!!!!

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Riding is something that's "in you." You owe it to yourself to try it!
+1. Trying it is the only way you'll know if the risks are outweighed by the enjoyment. I've crashed more times than I should have and been rear-ended once and I'm still around. Gear is half the key to survival, the other half being training/experience/defensiveness/paranoia (basically your mental state).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well, I won't tell you that riding motorcycles is safe. Because it isn't. However, I can guarantee you that it will be one of the most exhilarating things you will ever do.

As you've outlined in your post, you can manage that risk to some extent by buying the appropriate riding gear and starting out with a manageable first bike- like the Ninja 250 you mentioned. But the fact remains, you are still at the mercy of other people (car drivers) to some extent.

You should always have some degree of fear when riding. It keeps you grounded and alert. It's hard to explain, but after you've been riding for a long time it's not really a conscious fear that you are actively thinking about all the time, it's more something that is in the back of your mind- a subconscious awareness. It's hard to explain, sorry I can't really describe it that well.

I agree with the previous post that you owe it to yourself to give it a try. But after a while, if you still find the fear overwhelming your sense of joy, then motorcycling isn't for you. And if it comes to that, you can easily sell the 250 for just a little less than you bought it for and take pride in having attempted it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thanks for your advice.

I really have to try it so that i can feel what it is to ride a motorcycle.

zxrider, yes there´s something inside motorcyclists that makes them want to ride forever, i see that in some of my mates who ride bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although upscale party dresses make the most of today's Wear-Rental assortment, a free membership (registration) Customers can choose from a limited selection of designer jackets and tops to choose, too. Items are on loan in various sizes and canAion Gold spend a week at a time. "I generally bearing colorful pieces that somehow that" wow "factor," says Passarelli. By renting instead of buying, die-hard fashionistas pay 5 percent to 10 percent ofWOW Power Leveling eye-popping price tags of $ 300 to $ 1,000 WOW Gold on sale. Passarelli she follows the boys. Men have been renting tuxes for ages. Women now on the other hand, usually their formalwear forBuy WOW Gold virtually hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars - even if the intention to wear it again. She says, gets the most basic black cocktail dress worn an average of two to three times before its owner can not take it, be in it again. But with the recession, consumer spending habits gotWOW Gold a serious makeover - especially for such luxury purchases.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been hit by a car before and tumbled down the highway. It is something you do not want to experience, a feeling of total helplessness, so I will not try and talk anyone into riding. All the gear in the world will not protect you if you have a direct blow at speed. Helmets are good for keeping your face on, if you happen to slide down the road on your face. If you hit you head on a truck bumper or telephone pole at 75 mph the helmet will probably be worthless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there!

But i always think if i buy the right gear and drive defensively i will be safe altough most of the accidents are provoked my aftermarket parts cars and that´s what i´m more affraid of in this world...it´s not the way i drive but other cars.

If you're that scared of the bad things that can happen to you while on a motorcycle I would recommend you not to get one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts