Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Duh!!

Sorry but I just have to say it: What a dumb ass this guy was!!
First bike too??
In cases like this I often wonder whether the guy decided to get it himself or some commission hungry salesperson pushed the sale??

....ah,the natural process for the weeding out of the worthless of the species continues.......:D:D

JIM

·
Registered
298 Posts
Guy in the R1 forum wrote:
The insurance adjuster should be here tomorrow though, and i'll be back on one wheel in no time!
A similar incident made the rounds in the 929 forum not too long ago. I don't think it was a first bike, but the guy totaled a 929 while wheelying, bought a new 929 with the insurance loot, and totaled it in wheely gone bad, unfortunately injuring himself seriously in the process.

And we wonder why sportbike insurance premiums are so high.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with the one dude.. soon or later the insurance companys are going to drop sport bikes because of people like that.

I should be getting my new bike withing the next couple weeks. Ive been seeking insurance for 4 weeks now and FINALY found a break and got a good deal.

Some people just need to think before they do things that can hurt themselves :crying:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I really don't like paying high insurance rates because of guys like that :finger:
Maybe there should be a size limit for new riders like in some other countries. I totally agree with making people ride small bikes for a few years untill they get some experience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:confused: Why does this have to cost you money.. when it can make you a shitload of money?:confused:

:D Get the kids name, cc# and home address and take out a HUGE life insurance policy......then wait till he kills himself.:D
Shouldn't take moree than 3 months.... THEN CASH IN:twofinger

Seriously though.. this guy needs to have his kneecaps blown out by a smith & wesson, so he can't ever ride again.

:eek: Duh.... NO common SENSE?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I have to agree about the insurance going up for the rest of us and how it ticks me off. That totally sucks.

But it also makes me a lot happier and feel smarter that I decided to begin my riding by doing hella research first, taking the MSF course, and finally start riding on my kawi 2-fitty.

Fatty

·
Registered
115 Posts
Some people have more money than brains. The rest of us have to stay alive so we can enjoy whatever it is we work hard for.

Omega Purp

·
Registered
36 Posts
the main reason I don't visit that forum/website like I used to is because so many people there were telling new riders that R1's are a great first bike, a bike they can grow into, and something they wont need to upgrade :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's really irresponsible IMO. Sure some people will get them, ride them without incident, and all that crap, but a lot of new R1's (and Gix1k's, 954s etc etc) will be little Johnny's first ride--and last :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
The dealer "recommended" the R1 to learn on. Riiiiiiight. Sounds like he's either lying about the deaelr, or he got suckered into a 10K + bike. what a maroooon.

It's like going to a Dodge dealer and asking "What's a good family car? something to just get around town in"?

<Dealer> "Oh, that's easy. this, my friend, is the '02 Viper".

<Idiot consumer> "Ooohhhhh. Pretty colors. I'll take it".

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
i like the "i'll be back on one wheel in on time". More like "back on my back in no time, with my bike wedged under a guardrail".

·
Registered
87 Posts
That kind of thing is exactly why I came here and asked questions first.

If the thread hadn't been locked, I was going to recommend he use the insurance money as a "mad down payment on a phat busa, yo". :rolleyes:

I really like my SV650S, and I appreciate you guys recommending it. I'm just glad I'm a slow starter compared to this brainiac. Hell, I've had my bike a week and I've put just under 20 miles on it. The first 12 miles of that was in a parking lot, a little every day. It wasn't until Saturday that I took it out on a public street, and even then it was small non-busy residential streets only. I'd rather look like a newbie (cruising around at 30 mph with my armor, helmet and gloves on :D ) than prove it by flipping it, laying it down, etc.

What's the definition of a squid anyways? I'm pretty sure I am one for now LOL, and here's why. On my residential cruise I accidentally went down a street that ends in a majorly busy 4 lane road, uncontrolled intersection. I rolled up to that intersection, flipped my turn signal on, and sat there 20 seconds at least shaking my head at the traffic thinking how I could best approach the fast start-stop routine (rush accross 2 lanes, stop in the median). I finally decided I wasn't confident enough yet, and walked my bike back from the intersection (good to have long legs :) ) and took an alley. I'm pretty sure the mini-van behind me was thinking :confused: . Oh well LOL! :drool:

PS: I will be persuing some boots and an MSF course this week. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Higher insurance is just the beginning of the crap that idiots like this force on others,

At some point a tiered license might be used in some states, and 'cause of asses like this moron who is also one arrogant SOB beginners will be forced to ride 125s or 250s.

A problem with young people these days is a lack of respect, for machinery and other people, I remember a story told to me recently by a friend of mine who has lived in my area his whole life, and he told it as though it had happened within the past few years but the story was dated in that it involved a brand new GPz550 that a new rider had bought as his first bike, this bike would be considered a good first bike now but back in the day of 700 lb sportbikes it was talked about in the way that the R6 is now and was thought of as a poor choice for a begginer, the short story is that after two months of riding the result was a damaged tree, totaled bike and one less son to a family, and a story that is still told fifteen some odd years later.

I have found a well written text that is a good reminder of the consequences involved, http://www.adriancrook.com/accident/

Sooner or later all of this will add up and it has happened in other countries, and with people suing for anything it will only be a matter of who will put limits in place first manufacturers, states, or insurance companies, it is looking like it is the insurance companies that are taking the lead for now but I wouldn't place any bets now, all it will take for quick action against sporbikes is a big class action lawsuit for manufacture of an unsafe product similar to those brought against cigarette companies and gun manufacturers, there is plenty of evidence in the form of those Xtreme Moron videos of which R1_stuntAss likely watched too long. And I don't want to think of what would happen if the kid of some politician got wiped out by some wheelying moron,

we are lucky for what we have, and buying a bike with an insane amount of power is a privilege and not a right, one that is earned by responsible use. Because you have the money to buy it does not mean that you have the ability to ride it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: Duh!!

katana600 said:

....ah,the natural process for the weeding out of the worthless of the species continues.......:D:D

JIM
Yeah, but he probably already has five kids with a woman dumber than himself.

I only read the first page, but those guys on that forum flamed him a little.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow, that story is ugly.

I'm glad he lived through it, and it does put a new spin on a piece of advice I see offered here a lot: Never ride above your comfort level.

Maybe I'm a wuss, or maybe I've just learned the same lesson a different way. But if I had been so distracted and occupied that I couldn't even properly fill up the gas tank on my bike, I would have told them to have fun and I'd meet up with them another day, or at a spot for lunch etc. Let them leave, regain control of yourself, and go for a nice cruise.

But then again, I'm no longer worried about what other people think. Call me a wuss all you would like gentleman, I've been through worse. Having been through my own personal nightmare, involving 13 hours of initial surgery and 2 reconstructive surgeries, I will never do anything I do not feel comfortable doing. Even if I felt comfortable doing it yesterday, the feeling of unease sets off my warning system and I've learned the hard way to respect it. We all have our off days, it's better to admit it's an off day and spend it cruising on some nice, boring, flat, straight roads than go play in the twisties and die.

Thanks for posting the link. As I said, it definately drove home the "never ride above your comfort level" advice and gave it a new weight.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JeremyML said:

What's the definition of a squid anyways? I'm pretty sure I am one for now LOL, and here's why. On my residential cruise I accidentally went down a street that ends in a majorly busy 4 lane road, uncontrolled intersection. I rolled up to that intersection, flipped my turn signal on, and sat there 20 seconds at least shaking my head at the traffic thinking how I could best approach the fast start-stop routine (rush accross 2 lanes, stop in the median). I finally decided I wasn't confident enough yet, and walked my bike back from the intersection (good to have long legs :) ) and took an alley. I'm pretty sure the mini-van behind me was thinking :confused: . Oh well LOL! :drool:

No that wasnt a squid move you did. That was using common sense in a situation you were not comfortable with.

Squids are more or less people who by a bike to pose. They normally ride without regards for anyones safety. Also give motorcycles a bad image to the non riding public too. Normally they dont wear any gear, but some do ride in gear too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts