Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday, June 12, 2006

A California Highway Patrol officer fired at a speeding motorcyclist who refused to pull over Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

It was unclear whether the shot struck the motorcyclist, who got away and was still being sought Sunday night, authorities said.

The incident began at 12:07 p.m. on eastbound Interstate 80 in American Canyon, where a CHP officer clocked two motorcycles speeding at 85 mph, according to CHP spokesman Marvin Williford. The CHP officer began pursuing the riders and attempted to pull over both of them. One, however, exited I-80 at Red Top Road and then re-entered I-80 westbound while the second motorcyclist continued east on I-80.

A second CHP officer was westbound on I-80 and had been monitoring the pursuit. At the Columbus Parkway exit in Vallejo, the officer pulled over a motorcyclist who matched the description of the first fleeing biker. The officer, however, realized he had the wrong biker when he spotted the fleeing motorcyclist coming off Columbus Parkway in his direction, Williford said.

The officer stepped off his bike and waved for the fleeing motorcyclist to stop, but the rider instead accelerated toward the officer and the officer opened fire, Williford said.

The motorcycle swerved away from the officer and continued on Columbus Parkway.

Authorities are searching for a Kawasaki ZX6R 636, silver with black trim, whose driver was wearing a dark helmet, a dark jacket and blue jeans. The motorcycle had no license plate.

Police are also seeking the second motorcycle that continued on east I-80. The motorcycle is described as champagne colored with a paper license plate. Both motorcycles are of the same make and type, possible 2005 or 2006 models.

Jen

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe that was his interpretation of it....I'm sure the guy wouldn't speed AT him.....maybe PAST him?? I still don't think he should have been SHOT at. :rolleyes:

Killing someone for going 85??

Jen

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Yes, they can.

Felony speed.
Felony failure to stop.
Felony fleeing and eluding.
Felony attempted murder of a police officer.

You ride down on a cop standing in front of you signalling you to stop and you do not, you are asking to be killed.

In a civilized society, people obey the law. Our representatives of the law our the police. If you disobey the police, you are asking for it.

If you do not like what the cop says/does, then you seek out an attorney. In Cali, shake a tree and lawyers fall out like coconuts.

Cali has some strick laws concerning speeding as well as other things.

The biker rider is lucky he is not dead.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Ditto on Fasterbusa comments...

to me it's no different than charging at a cop in a car/truck...

:thumb:
E.

·
Registered
265 Posts
fasterbusa said:
In Cali, shake a tree and lawyers fall out like coconuts.
Heh heh Webb, that's too funny.

Except if you shake the tree and the attorneys fall out, they'll try and sue the tree! Or you....or the pavement......or the sky. But they have to sue SOMEONE!!

:D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Technically I think the officer was within his rights, but only by a technicality. Any two bit lawyer would not only get the charges dismissed, but would also walk away with a hefty settlement from the PD. 85 in a 70 is not felony speed, and then it comes down to arguing the interpratation of "coming at him"

I wouldnt be suprised if the officer in question is getting a thorough ass chewing from a long list of superiors after the news article

·
Registered
232 Posts
you are talking about felony speed and all that....what it really comes down to is:

did the officer fear for his life at that very moment? and was there any other intervention option available that could have worked?

Any good lawyer will pick this apart and come out with full pockets. Then again, I don't want to judge the officer, its always easier to say what he did wrong after the fact. However at the time it seemed completely reasonable, maybe, just maybe that isn't the whole story.

let the courts work it out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sweet! So I can buy a gun and step into traffic and shoot at what ever car I want, of course, as long as it's in front of me and has the potential to run me over?

Sounds to me like the cop got off his bike, walked into the lane, thus into the path of the fleeing motorcycle and then attempted to flag him down.

"The motorcycle swerved away from the officer and continued on Columbus Parkway."

Sound to me like the kid didn't want to hit the officer.
:2cents:

·
Registered
232 Posts
phatkidwit1eye said:
Sweet! So I can buy a gun and step into traffic and shoot at what ever car I want, of course, as long as it's in front of me and has the potential to run me over?

Sounds to me like the cop got off his bike, walked into the lane, thus into the path of the fleeing motorcycle and then attempted to flag him down.

"The motorcycle swerved away from the officer and continued on Columbus Parkway."

Sound to me like the kid didn't want to hit the officer.
:2cents:
well...if the officer flagged the guy down the way he was trained to do....

i.e. get off bike step into traffic and flag down...

however instead of stopping; like a reasonable person would, the biker decided to speed up towards the officer. that alone, I think, would be justification for self-defense.

In my opinion the fleeing biker is an idiot, just pull over when the police signal you to. If you get a ticket you get a ticket, sack up and take what's coming to you.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
a video of the incident would sure be helpfull...:2cents:

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
One of the problems with anything that we get on a site that has been "reported" by the news is that you cannot trust the accuratcy of the report. You can trust what is said in a courtroom later.
However, at first blush, from the reading of the posting, the rider was guilty of (accused of) 4 offenses. If you wish to look at it that way, 3 of them felonys.

If a cop gets in front of you, after you have been chased by other police officers (and from the reading, it appears that this officer knew that) and you do not stop and ride at him, you can die. It is pretty simple.

The officer does not know why you are fleeing.
The officer does not know why you are trying to run him down.
A prudent person stops when a cop steps out in front of him and waves him to stop.

Certainly, one has to reserve judgement until one knows the complete facts of the case.
But a really good idea is to stop. If you are dead and the officer "made a mistake in judgement", you are still dead.

Why wouldn't someone stop? I mean, an honest person would stop. When you get caught being stupid, you suck it up and you stop. If you do not stop, why not?

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
kawigirl_636 said:
Monday, June 12, 2006

A California Highway Patrol officer fired at a speeding motorcyclist who refused to pull over Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

It was unclear whether the shot struck the motorcyclist, who got away and was still being sought Sunday night, authorities said.

he spotted the fleeing motorcyclist coming off Columbus Parkway in his direction, Williford said.

The officer stepped off his bike and waved for the fleeing motorcyclist to stop, but the rider instead accelerated toward the officer and the officer opened fire, Williford said.

The motorcycle swerved away from the officer and continued on Columbus Parkway.

Ok for

1) "he opened fire" ... who's to say he wasn't shooting at the bike (like they do at car tires to disable the oncoming vehicle) not neccessarily at the rider himself.. they stated it was unclear if the motorcyclist was hit...

2) "the rider instead accelerated toward the officer" ... the motorcycle was continueing towards the officer and only after he opened fire did the rider swerve away... clearly the rider had intensions on doing the officer harm or he would not have accelerated towards him after the officer tried to flag him down.

that guy made his choice to be in that situation the minute he failed to pull over and most especially when he threatened the officers safety... you give any more rights to criminals when they perform illegal activities then you might as well throw the laws out the window and those who uphold it :2cents:

(and no I'm not saying speeding in general justifies such recourse but the rider failing to do as told and threating the officers safety is)

E.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont think anyones excusing the riders actions, but they do not necessarily justify the use of force. A few things jump out at me.
1. Was it the same rider? They did loose track of him, and the description they had is lousy at best.
2. Accelerated towards the officer. I'm not saying wether this happened or not, but I will say that if it didnt, the officer would still say that it did. Even if the acceleration did happen (How can you tell if someone is accelerating or maintaining speed from a frontal view?) there is still no way to know if the rider was accelerating toward him or past him.

Either way, I suspect this issue is already resolved. Not wanting another rodney king incident, I'm sure the search for the rider will be rather brief, and the rider himself, not wanting to face the possible conciquences, is unlikely to press charges.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
well I would assume the other rider who was there with the officer could validate the officers story.. and it's quite easy to hear if a bike gets on the gas no matter from the front or the side or the rear ;)

E.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have heard before that some of us in the MC community speed. For shame!
I have heard that a few of us speed to excess sometimes.

However, in the last thread where we discussed this, we mostly agreed that fleeing was a dumb thing to do and not worth the possible price.

While none of us like to get caught, we stop and take our lumps, as it were.

While we agree that we do not know what actually happened in this case, I am still of the opinion that not stopping when a cop steps in front of you is a bad policy to follow.

Even if it is not you they are looking for, it is better and safer to resolve the problem peacefully than to get drawn on and perhaps die from a simple misunderstanding.

In the heat of a police chase, you do not want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time while acting improperly.

(although I really would not have minded it if E had blasted past that little old lady before we had reached 20 min!)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
fasterbusa:
I'm not advocating speeding, and I'm certainly against fleeing. But the responce has to be checked. After all, I'm off the opinion that it takes a real idiot to ride without a helmet, but that doesnt mean I'm going to start shooting people for it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts