Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding a 2nd gear wheelie when the bike started doing what I call the "boogie woogie" It just started wobbling back and forth. I had to set it down as the wobbling was getting worse and I was out of gear. When the front came down it went into a tank slapper from hell. I rode that for like, a second and a half and then it was sparks and me sliding down the road. So what caused the bike to start wobbling while on the rear wheel? Would a fairly worn back tire do this? It hadn't done that before.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I'm not a stunter, so these are just speculation. A worn tire, changes in the road surface (bumps, etc.), a gust of wind, being slightly off balance yourself.....all possibilities. Without being there I doubt anyone can say for sure what it was. Hope you're ok!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've got rash here and there but I had gloves and boots so it is minimal considering what could have happened. I slid most of the way on my feet with my hands down for stability. But the bike :(

Anyway, I noticed the bike doing a little bit of the whobbly just the day before this happened, whereas it never did that before. Of course the time I wrecked it was way worse, it was more than just a little wobbly. That's why I wondered if it would have something to do with the tire, as if the tire was worn to the point where it would cause that to happen. Something happened up there that hadn't happened the many times before...

·
Registered
925 Posts
You probly weren`t being smooth with your right hand... My tire is way past due for being replaced and I can still do them for over half a mile with no problems, it does give it a little wobble sometimes, but only if I don`t bring it up smooth to begin with (thats even on PA roads). Or your tire could have been low on pressure... low pressure is good for the slow stuff but not for freeways.:2cents:

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only time my tire wobble like that was when I got a flat in it. Like you the day before you could tell something was different but nothing ti be worried about. Then the next day it was like what is goin on here! I had a small hole that let the air out a little at a time until you could see it really flat. If your tire is ok or next time you think somethings wrong do the soap and water test for a air leak. Fill the tire up with air and rub the soap and water over the tire and look for bubbles. I'm sorry to hear about it I hope you can get back on the road and that you recover asap.

·
Registered
227 Posts
drop air pressure, make sure your rear wheel is staright and don't ride on grooved roads. Also use a steering stabilizer. They save lives

·
Registered
2 Posts
wheeling

imo i ride them all the time and the reason you get woobly is your pulling up to hard or bouncing more weight on one foot or the other. if you clutch up dont pull to hard and if you do pull hard keep your pull even on both bars. all it takes is just a slight pull right or left before the front leaves the ground to cause a wobble. keep in mind all this happens very fast and you might not notice turning the bars. if you bounce them up bounc even and remember you only get tank slap if you dont set them down when the wobble starts dont try and ride the wooble out just sit it down and start over it hurts less. hope this helps

·
Registered
128 Posts
Worn rear tire can cause a wobble like that.
The rear on my 929 is pretty worn and kind of flat in the middle (but at the right psi) and it's started to weave/wobble back and forth when I'm doing fast wheelies. It doesn't really get too serious though, I usually just ride through it, and I've never had any trouble when I set the bike down, but I've got a Scotts dampener too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not one person here has the right answer but I do, its definitley not having a worn tire. Too much air pressure in the tire and being just below balance point will cause the rear tire to wobble, if you get good enough you can throw the bike beyond balance point and squeeze the tank with your knees and the bike will stop wobbling immediately!

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Seeing that I am not a stunter I have no real answers, except to install a steering damper. That will prevent your tank slapper and keep your wheel aligned while you in your wheelie, and when you land it.

Glad you're ok!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts