Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some pros and cons of raising the rear of my 98' gixxer a little.. maybe an inch? or less or or more.. but i was told that i can get better turn in if i raise the rear a little.. but today i learned i might get some serious understeer into the turn at extreme conditions?.. can some experienced riders or maybe somebody wit track experience give me the low down on this adjustment?.. im doin the juss so i get used to the setup as i have not been to a track yet.. but i will.. i hit the canyons such as the rock store every sunday.. and anytime i can squeeze in between.. i think im ready for the track.. any info would be greatly appreciated. ;)

jos F theGoldenboy

------------------
Some day, i'll ride like all the famed riders of today.. for i will be the rider of tommorrow.. :D:D, cuz as of today.. i have only three months of riding everyday experience under my n*tS.. :D:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, I'll put it this way:

Yes, you can raise the rear end and/or lower the front end by sliding the forks up a few millimeters in the triple clamps.

But if I were you, I wouldn't. Here's why:

The reason this adjustment is made on race bikes is to get quicker steering, so you can make really fast transitions in corners. In racing, you want to go from left to right and back really fast. This adjustment helps. But it's at the expense of stability. The bike becomes twitchy, which necessitates a steering damper. But mainly you just deal with it. Also, if you go too far, the front end tends to push, which means you can tuck the front end and crash without warning. So it's a finely balanced line you're dancing on.

Now, in your case, as a fairly new street rider, it's just not something you need to be playing with. Definitely head out to a track first. Keep the bike relatively stock, and just see how it feels. Your own learning curve (your personal riding skills) will be very steep at first. Your bike is going to be fine just the way it is. In fact, the later model GSXR's are already known to be pretty twitchy in front, so if you go messing with the ride height, it could be a recipe for tank-slapping mayhem.

So, to sum up:

Leave the bike the way it came from the factory for now. Go out to a track day. Or two, or three. You'll find that there is a LOT to learn out there, in just your riding skills alone.

Once you've gotten comfortable riding at real track speeds (which are far beyond anything you can do on the street!), then you can start tinkering with the bike...

Hope this helps!

:D :D :D

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Ok here's my 2cents:

I raised the forks on my R1 about 4 mm in
the triple tree, I also put a 180 on the
rear as apposed to the stock 190. Now I
ride everyday I can so I did notice a moderate
difference in turn-in, additionally I have
not noticed any stability problems as of yet
and I 'tested' the bike a bit since those mods. 4mm however is a miniscule but noticeable
change.

So there's some middle ground for ya though
understand the R1 is certainly not my 1st
street bike.

Hope that helps. :)

Chris

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
scott has a much better background to answer this q, but i'll throw in my two cents from my personal experience.

when i put my fox shock on my f2, i didn't have time to get the thing dialed in before heading the track for the second time ever (i bought it used off a guy who weight the same as me, and this is why you don't use other people's suspension settings).

the combination of about 1/2 of ride height and the heavier spring was probably closer to 2-3" of additionally ride height than i wasn't used to with the stock shock. the bike was scary as hell in the fast sections and even in the slow sections of the track was steering too quick (for me).

my suggestion is buy a quality shock ride height adjustable shock such as, penske, fox, ohlins, etc (and some fork springs, race tech, traxxion). put them on and do a track day asap (the only reason i'd suggest suspension before track time, is because most people abuse their suspension on the street, wheelies, stoppies, etc., if the suspension is good, and you're not a stoppie kind of guy, save your money and do the track time first).

most of the clubs that do track days will help you get the shock dialed in. don't worry about beating anyone on the track, get it dialed in. by the afternoon, you'll be amazed at how far you and the gsxr have come.

see the tales from the street forum, geoff talks about his track day with nesba, great read.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited August 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Tony makes some good points but since it is your first bike, I'm going to suggest you follow AZ's advice first. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
873 Posts
I second the advice given here about waiting on suspension tweaks.

Ive got a Fox TC Shock on my bike and DAMN if the thing is as light in the steering as a bicycle. I need to "de-tune" my suspension for all of the reason given above. (just havnt gotten around to it)

The bike is TOO twitchy. If im hard into a turn, with a good lean goin on the bike wants to turn in more. This is a very unsettling thing. The options are to accelerate to get the bike to stabilize, or put alot of countersteer into the bar. This is NOT a very stable way to ride. Id much rather have a bike that "stays" where you put it in a turn.. predictable and stable is more important that twichy and turny.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.. great advice.. that i will follow .. " :D although i had already planned to do nothing to my suspension as of yet.. imi am fairly new.. but i learn really fass... am fairly quick through the twisties.. anyways.. back to tuning.. i do kinda abuse my shocks *ie endos and wheelies.. on the street* what can i say...im a kid.. :D :D :p but anyhow.. twisties feel good on the stock shocks.. and i really juss asked for my own personal knowledge.. thanks for the info guys.. rcjohn, azscott, greenninja.. ummm.. i can't remember who else posted. hehe.. sorry..

jos F theGoldenboy.. * alittlesmarternow*

------------------
Some day, i'll ride like all the famed riders of today.. for i will be the rider of tommorrow.. :D:D, cuz as of today.. i have only three months of riding everyday experience under my n*tS.. :D:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah~!. im lQQkin :D for middle ground.. but im still gonna leave it stock for now.. im juss one of those knowledge buffs.. i like to know everything i can . or can learn anyway.. so thanks.. chris.. doesn't the r1 have a little longer wheel base than the gigg?.. i dont know. but my bike isnt' really twitchy.. now.. but who knows.. well anways! i gotta stop babbliN~!.. :D :D :D..

jos F theGoldenboy..

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts