Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this bike on ebay, the owner claims the kick stand "just folded" which caused the bike to fall over? I'm not looking to buy, but this is the first time i've heard of something like this...

Can this happen?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other thing that came up, is how effective are "bar end" sliders. I couldn't find regular frame sliders for my bike, only the bar end ones. Are these actually useful?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One reason the folding kick-stand interested me is because I've been using a car jack to lift up my back wheel to grease/clean the chain. The car jack works ok but puts a little more weight on the kick stand than normal (because it raises the rear end at an angle while the bike is on its stand). I didn't think this was an issue, but could this possibly cause damage to the kickstand, maybe even causing it to "fold"??

I dont' think the car jack distributes all that much weight to the kick stand, but it is lifting at an angle, which must be putting a little extra weight on it, I would think.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been using a car jack to lift my bike up too.

I've just made sure to bungee the front brake lever so the bike can not move forward when lifted.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ESanders2 said:
:rolleyes: Don't wanna spend the 50 bucks. Unless I could find one for a descent price...
I'd suggest spending $100 and getting the Handy front and rear stands. No more worries about your bike falling and when you need new tires you'll need the stands anyway unless you plan on spending extra money to have a dealer take the tires off your bike.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

It might be a penalty of a few pounds, but I love the Honda centerstand on my CBR. It makes chain and rear tire maintenance a breeze and lets me really top-off the tank when I'm purchasing fuel.

As far as "folding" kickstands are concerned. I don't sit on my bike when the kickstand is down because that seems like unnecessary and needless strain as far as I'm concerned.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've never heard of kickstands folding. I don't think sitting on the bike while the kickstand is down does anything either, I've practically fallen asleep while laying on my bike with my feet over the handlebars and my kickstand has held up just fine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I always worry about parking my bike on the incline surfaces. I suppose if this guy happened to park with the bike leaning forward, or perhaps forgot to put it in gear, it could have rolled over the kickstand. I would ask for more details, for sure.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose if this guy happened to park with the bike leaning forward, or perhaps forgot to put it in gear, it could have rolled over the kickstand. I would ask for more details, for sure.
I bet he was getting off the bike and didn't put the stand all the way down, then it fell.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have never seen a kickstand fold either. My kick stand takes some abuse. I put all the wight of my bike on the stand to lift up the front and back wheel when I need to pivot the bike to turn around when its parked.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Probably true ESanders2 in not having having the prop stand down fully or he could have left the bike in neutral & bike rolled, forward due to slight incline, & so off the prop stand.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
...I don't think sitting on the bike while the kickstand is down does anything either...
When I was first looking at bikes, I was told, by the dealer, that I could put both of my feet on the pegs and sit fully on the bike, as if I was riding it, and that the stand would hold up to it. I've done it heaps of times.

Originally posted by Blue Jays
It might be a penalty of a few pounds, but I love the Honda centerstand on my CBR. It makes chain and rear tire maintenance a breeze and lets me really top-off the tank when I'm purchasing fuel...
I love the centre stand on the ZZR for maintenance also. Its only downfall is that it occaisionally scrapes through corners. ;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
As for kick stand folding..... I have seen it happen... a few times in my life.... mor on dirtbikes....

I think what they mean is that the operator did not fully extend the kick stand and leaned it over on a partially deployed side stand and it folded back closed once the weight of the bike was exerted on it.

My guess....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I've seen them fold... Most of the time, the stand wasnt all the way down (also looked like it) when the bike was set on it. Sometimes its a incline/surface inperfection that causes it.
I got into a habit if shaking my bike by the bars before I leave it.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Each time I go to put down the prop stand first of all I have the bike in gear, then I look down & mentally measure what it is going to land on plus is it to steep or to shallow, down comes the stand & I feel out how the bike feels to where I finally sort of give the prop stand a 2nd try at being FULLY DOWN. Then I get off & again check on the stand & bike. Needless to say if I am on fairly new asphalt be it normal or hot weather I will pick out one of my 2X3X1/4" pieces of tough yellow plastic to drop it down & push it under the very point the stand/bike will lean on.

The above is all done in a second or two, but with 59 yrs of riding & parking bikes on anythng from dirt, rocks, gravel, cinders, to you name it has me doing the above for on a few occasions I have nearly had the bike go down.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I always pull my bike back an inch after putting the stand down. If it scrapes, I know it's down. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
cookeetree said:
I always pull my bike back an inch after putting the stand down. If it scrapes, I know it's down. :thumb:
Me 2. First put stand fully down, then kick it forward with my foot, and then pull the bike back. The only bike I've ever heard of having a failing sidestand was the early 916....

PS Cookee, I took the centerstand off my ZX11. When I wanted to do maintenance, I would stick a couple of hex wrenches in where the bolts used to be, use the stand, and then remove it when I was done. Improved cornering clearance.........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts