·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is copied from mcnews.com.au.
You can see pictures from the race HERE
=========================

May 26th, 2004 - By, Cameron Donald

I had only been accepted for the wildcard entry in the BSB a week before the event, so things were pretty rushed. I headed to Europe straight from round one of the Asian Pacific championship at Sentul Indonesia.

Fridays practice was my first time on the bike, which was an ex Team ETI Suzuki machine. Although two seasons old, they were still very quick and quite capable of strong results. Things were going well. My times were improving each session as I came to grips with the circuit. Mondello contains many tight second gear turns, only reaching fourth gear once per lap, which meant there was no time to rest on the 1000 that just wanted to stand on its back wheel off every turn.

Then things took a turn for the worse. In Fridays 3rd session, another privateer ran into the back of me under brakes into turn 5. We both ended up going down the track with my bike cart wheeling itself into retirement for the weekend.

Fortunately I was ok after the fall and we could get straight into Saturdays qualifying session on the teams’ spare machine. The spare was slightly down on power from the number one bike, but this made it easier to drive off the tight turns and did not lift the front so much.

Ending Saturdays qualifying at 23rd position I was satisfied. We had run as high as 18th early in the day and had chosen not to use soft qualifying tyres to give me more time on 16.5 inch Dunlop's I would use in the race.

Race one got off to a strong start. In the 18-lap event I was running 16th until late in the race when my rear tyre began to wear badly, leaving me fighting for drive off the turns and dropping me back to 18th at the flag.

We made some changes to the rear shock as we believe that was the cause of the rear tyre problem and we were back out for the next race.

Race two was another strong start. This time following fellow Aussie Craig Coxhell out wide through turn one, passing many bikes until two bikes fell on our inside which took us both out wide and off the edge of the track.

Rejoining the race behind Craig I managed to push through the field to get on the back of James Haydon and some of the other factory machines. With the changes made after race one enabling me to push harder and clear away from the group behind.

By mid race, the factory boys were clearing away. I was in 14th and having a good dice with Stuart Easton, riding last year’s title winning Ducati. Then my rear tyre started spinning up again off the turns, although it was nowhere near as severe as the last race. I came home 15th overall and 4th privateer - just missing a Privateer Cup podium.

So overall a great introduction to BSB as this series is huge. The riders are pushing so hard its unbelievable, with the likes of current Aussie Superbike champ Craig Coxhell battling to run top ten it gives you some idea of the depth in this championship. To finish 15th in race two at least I made my point!

The team saw the weekend as a successful first attempt and I have been accepted as a wildcard again for round 6 at Thruxton - June 6th 2004. With a little more experience I hope to improve my results at that round.

I would like to Thank Team BTS for the opportunity to ride for them and Rod Tingate my mechanic for all his work over the race weekend

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry 1-4, but think maybe you should check your glasses. His hand is definitely off the brake.... :twofinger

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Like over hearing a conversation between two senile old ladies

You two crack me up:D

Nice pics and nice report, how are we gonna wangle a trip to Thruxton:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
55% of what 1-4??

Great first up effort that.... :D

Not sure if you guys know of Craig Coxhell, but he is one hard charger that's for sure. :)

A little more from mcnews.com.au

Australian international rookie Craig Coxhell has enjoyed a successful weekend at Round Five of the British Superbike Championship at Ireland's Mondello Park.

"Overall I'm extremely happy with the weekend, our aim was to finish in the top ten, which we did and we proved that we have the capacity to race with the top riders," said the reigning 21 year old Australian Superbike Champion.

Coxhell started his Team Vitrans Honda Fireblade from 13th and was soon working his way through the pack.

"The bike was feeling better as the race went on and the Pirelli tyres held up really well" said Coxhell who clocked his quickest lap of the race on the final lap to finish in an impressive 8th position.

"Unfortunately I didn't get such a good start to race two as I was tangled up in a crash at the first corner, and by the end of lap I was 16th"

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Like over hearing a conversation between two senile old ladies

how are we gonna wangle a trip to Thruxton:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Greetings from Sunny Taipei

:hurl: :eek:

Thruxton on a bike just scares me shiiiiitless (but then so does every track)

Its basically a circle of very fast flat out "bumpy" curves with a couple of chicanes towards the end to keep the death rate down :eek:

You could come off and slide into the adjacent corn fields and no one would know you were there in the weeds until you started to smell :hurl:

Umm

·
Registered
77 Posts
OOPs

No mate, that was Donnington :crying:

I made an arse of meself at Thruxton in a rear engined 320hp Renault 5 turbo rally car :hurl:

Slight detour into the corn fields after coming up fast onto a faaarking Suzuki Swift driven by faaarking stevie wonder
:finger:

Mr Swift went to one side out of the way, then decided it was better to go the other side :eek: , resulting in the back end of Mr Renault resembling the back end of perils old 600 in the braking zones :confused:

Mr Renault fishtailed nicely into the cornfields out of view of everyone, managed to restart and find the track (using the sun for direction !!!) and returned to pits and the boss looking like a shredded wheat advert on wheels :eek:

We were picking bits of con out of that car for the next year or so.

:D :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Off To Thruxton

Me the wife and a couple of mates are off to thruxton this weekend, bought a tent and everything!! doubt if i'll bump into CD but i'll try and get some good pics

hope this weekend goes well lads

Paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Re: Off To Thruxton

Tug said:
Fark me I didnt know Billy Smart had closed down :twofinger

If I wasn't a fat clown i could take offence at that mate :crying: :crying: :crying: :D :D :D

got all me stuff ready, the gas barby, lounging chairs and a couple of coolers of stella. Weather has been great up to now, so hopefuly i'll be able to top up the tan while watching some great racing action.

and the way this job of mine is panning out i'll be over there watching you lot in the motogp in october. thats as long as the surgeon doesnt get too carried away next week taking one of the screws out of my leg and leave me completely raspberried!!!

congrats to Nils!! top work fella. And YP you just seem to get better and better, apart from the falling off obviously

going to try and blag a ride on a nice new KTM this week, I think supermoto is the way forward for me at the moment, and you can get a brand new ready to race KTM 640 for just over 4k. Time to dig out the Tech6's and have some fun :D :D :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Off To Thruxton

tls boy said:
and the way this job of mine is panning out i'll be over there watching you lot in the motogp in october. thats as long as the surgeon doesnt get too carried away next week taking one of the screws out of my leg and leave me completely raspberried!!!

congrats to Nils!! top work fella. And YP you just seem to get better and better, apart from the falling off obviously....

Thanks TLS, falling off isn't much fun but at least it shows you're reaching your limit. Have to remember not to crack the throttle open while lent over next time. So what's with this job of yours then, you an international sports reporter now then?

·
Registered
102 Posts
roving sports reporter would be great YP, but its far less glam. I'm back on a power station and am the office bitch, a roll i'm sure was first thought of for legend! and consists of me taking minuits, typing and doing technical QA type stuff. Luckily all my weekends off coincide with the BSB rounds, and the contract finishes in late september, enabling me to fly back to malaysia and watch you lot at the motogp. (and to see the wife who flies back in august)

Its looking at the moment that we should be able to spend october till aprill in malaysia and the other 6 months over here , thus avoiding the worst of the cold damp weather which plays holy shite with all my metalwork and dodgy bones!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks mate!
So you're coming eh? Good to hear!
If last weekend was anything to go by, then you will find the MSS has developed somewhat from last year. More racers and stronger competition for sure.

Envy you getting to watch the BSB though. There is absolutely no coverage of motorcycle racing except the MotoGP here. Spare us down here a thought when you crack open that first beer in your camping chair will ya!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well Well!

falling off isn't much fun but at least it shows you're reaching your limit
Along with BC, Big Phil, and Ledge, I must be a farkin GOD then!
:twofinger

1 - 18 of 18 Posts