Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 cbr600 f2. When the motor is cold it sounds fine. But after it gets to normal operating temp it begins to rattle from the top right side of the motor. It is the loud at idle, but I can't hear it above 2500 RPM. A friend of mine has a 1994 f2 that does the same thing but not as loud. It some times goes away after a minute or two. Is this the camchain tensioner going bad? The bike has 19000 miles on it.
:confused:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Im sorry i cant offer much technical help on this but i had the same situation on my F2 when i got it and theres always thread on cam chain tensioners. I put up a thread of my own back when i bought my bike and there were a few ways to find out. I could use the clymers book to do a check on the tensioner myself and maybe rebuild or replace it assuming i could tell if there was something wrong with it or since i was going in the shop soon for major services anyway id have them cehck it out for me and they said it was fine. Ended up being loose fairings and some other stuff. Its hard to define the sound it makes because ive heard several descriptions from people and theres always someone who says yep that sounds like the tensioner. If i remember right the tensioner is simple enough for you to maintenance yourself. Check out a clymers hand book if you can. If i remember anything else i post it.

I dont know if the sound would go away if the tensioner is loose. I described my noise as being a springlike rattling inside of a tin can. I later figured out that it was my tank vibrating against the frame when i was downshifting to a stop. One of the rubber absorbers was missing. Problem solved for me! Have you had any service done to the bike since youve had it like valve adjustments, carb syncs and cleaning?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts